Money Moral Dilemma: Best man seems to be overcharging for the stag do - should we pay up?

Options

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never been to any wedding where I have had to pay!

I would definitely want to know what the £200 was for!

I've never been on a free stag do.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you think it’s higher than it should be then I would ask for a breakdown of what the share covers. It might be extras they’ve brought for the stag or indeed paying for the stags share. I would like to think if that was case it would have been transparent from the start but it doesn’t always work that way!
  • teezie
    teezie Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Or it's been decided that the groom will have a freebie do.......

That was my thought as well, stuff for the groom has been costed in.

But still check, because that will be another shocker, if you assume you've paid for the groom's stuff in advance then get asked for even more during the event!
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it really too difficult to ask for a proper breakdown of costs?
    Dilemma? Really? Don't people talk any more?
  • Calpol4life
    Options
    Why ask for a breakdown though....?

Like worse case scenario, you are over charged what, £40?

By challenging and asking for a breakdown you’ll be ‘that guy’ and nobody wants to be ‘that guy’ for the sake of £40....

So have a good time away from the wife/kids/gf/mum and dad....

Money well spent
  • Hooda_Thunkit
    Options
    Or you could simply drop out of the stag do and save a lot of money and a massive hangover!
  • Wiseguy123
    Options
    Easy .. If you don't want to offend the guy ..just say you have a contact in the hotel trade who can obtain preferential rates and he's been checking out venues etc. for that date and thinks he could do better than the £200 quoted .. that way he has the chance to explain what is included in the amount he's asking
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why ask for a breakdown though....?

Like worse case scenario, you are over charged what, £40?

By challenging and asking for a breakdown you’ll be ‘that guy’ and nobody wants to be ‘that guy’ for the sake of £40....

So have a good time away from the wife/kids/gf/mum and dad....

Money well spent

£40 overcharge say 10 people = £400! :eek:
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get on it. It's a stag do, get nutted and wonder If you really spent a monkey on booze, strippers and kebabs.
  • Egerejr
    Options
    I think you have a right to ask, as long as you're polite about it. I organised a stag doo for my best friend recently. As I was sensitive to different people's financial situations I ensured I included an itemised cost breakdown of everything I could, to the penny. And even when people still asked me about the cost of things, I backed it up with the mathematics and asked them to check also, providing links to the websites that I used to make the bookings.

Some of the group came back to me with cheaper options and I took some advice but I ensured not to change everything based on their suggestions, as I also wanted to ensure my friend got some of the things he wanted i.e. nicer accommodation. It did feel a little patronising at first, but members of the group had found some deals that I wasn't aware of, which did save us money.

I provided a breakdown of the main costs (accommodation, activity, group meal) and suggested that the group bring their own drinks and snacks to share. I took the personal hit though on other things such as cooking breakfast for the group e.t.c. and only thought this was fair, in case some people didn't want to eat.

People work hard for their money, so like with anything else you have the right to ask. I doubt that your friend is trying to profit from the event however. I have heard of situations however where people have said that the stag organisers were more reluctant to give cost breakdowns.

I imagine you don't want to patronise the organiser by bombarding them with cheaper options or alternative things to do to save money. But if they don't want to give you a breakdown then you also have the option to say you cannot afford it and not go, and use the money saved for a better gift for the groom in question. Hopefully, for your sake he can provide the info and you can make an informed decision whether you think it's worth it or not. All the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure