Boiler service to keep warranty valid (vaillant)

Options
I got a system boiler and cylinder fitted last year. I got 10 years manifacturer guaranty.

Could I service every 15 months to keep warranty valid?

To quote from vaillant t an c

The boiler must be serviced annually (at least 15 months after installation and at the latest within 15 months’ of its last service) by a registered Gas Safe Engineer in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had thought that my Vaillants ts&cs stated I need to use a Vaillant approved service technician to keep that warranty. Will recheck. But anyway the Vaillant approved guy I found did a good service last time at around the £60 mark.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the clue is in the word "Annual"
    Vaillant are playing fair by by giving an up to 12 week extension window on the 1st service. - Service engineers cannot always visit on the exact anniversary.

The same window is offered in subsequent years, provided the preceding service was at 12 months, or close to.
    What is the point of risking a 10 year Warranty to save the cost of ONE service over 5 years?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This forum is littered with complaints from people that some manufacturers will use any excuse to get out of a boiler warranty claim. For example, most warranties are invalidated if the heating system was not cleaned when the boiler was fitted when, months later, the boiler stops because of a build up of sludge. Not getting a boiler service done on time is pretty short-sighted imho.That said, I am sure that someone will no doubt provide evidence to show that the cost of repairing a boiler which has never been serviced was less than the total cost of having it serviced.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Annually, so once per year.
  • yhl17
    yhl17 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    hi, I also seen the 15 months t&c last year. But I cant find it going through all my documents.
    can you tell me where this t&c is quoted for my reference.
    thanks
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you want them to abide by the letter and spirit of their T&C's then you should do the same. They've offered some leeway but they could deduce that you were stretching it if you used 15 months as your servicing intervals.
    As some boiler parts are extremely expensive, its probably not worth compromising your warranty T&C's by trying it on - its up to you of course
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • buglawton
    Options
    My initial Vaillant terms said a Vaillant approved technician. That seems to have changed to a Gas Safe one.
  • Nelo
    Nelo Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Can I ask, does the servicing need to be done by the company that installed the boiler or by any other registered engineer for warranty to remain in tact? I have a Worcester Bosch installed through STL heating who are very expensive for annual service, but they claim it must only be them servicing or my warranty is not valid. They even cancelled it last year as I hadn't done it with them but Scottish power. Were they telling the truth?
  • buglawton
    Options
    Ignore the installer and ask Worcester Bosch.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definatly with Vallient it can be any gase safe engineer, thier own is not much more
    Its more a case of just checking a few details than what they actually do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure