Refund for baking class, HELP!

Tomo277
Tomo277 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 July 2019 at 12:32PM in Consumer rights
HI, My first time posting so bear with me!

I recently booked a baking course as a birthday present for my mother. Only lasts a few hours but cost £50!

Anyway, It turns out there was an event on in my mothers hometown that prevented her from attending due to road closures so she informed the company and asked if she could re-arrange. She was informed she could and that she will be contacted with new dates. It's worth noting that it does state on their website that bookings are non-refundable but they did agree over the phone to reschedule.

After two weeks of nothing, my mother had emailed the company to ask if a date had been rescheduled and she received a reply that was frankly uncalled for. i have added it below.

"Good morning I have not forgotten, what you fail to realise I am booked out up into 2020 for classes, and my clients are coming from Switzerland, Norway, Brazil to train with me in setting up businesses. Not including wedding bookings, I’m also the food ambassador for Wales so I go to school on behalf of your government. I’m also in two global competitions, I also have a five year I pack a lot in my day. You chose to cancel a booking to watch an air show and think I should put you in front of all of my other bookings, wow Honestly do not believe that you think this is ok behaviour. Now please check the disclaimer about cancelling a booking, it states if the booking isn’t cancelled by me then you get no refund or a class, I’m doing you a favour in rescheduling you. Please remember that, thank you and have a great day"

On their website it still shows spaces available for courses on the 20th of July, 9th & 23rd of Aug so stating they're fully booked seems incorrect! I asked for a refund as the response frankly left a bad taste in my mouth (Pardon the pun) about the whole thing and was sent a very blunt reply of "I have forwarded this email to our lawyers!"

So my question is...... Am i entitled to a refund or have i lost my money as it stated on their website it was non-refundable?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you checked the dates are actually free and she's not telling a Porkie ?
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would get a date ASAP so that your mother could do the course.
    After your mother have completed the course publish the letter on your Facebook page (if you have one) and also on the company's website with the comments on the course.
    Totally unprofessional.
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Wow that is dreadful - name and shame I think
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If they're fully booked than what's their loss?
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This is incredibly unprofessional, the language gives me the vibe it’s written by someone who is American (not racist or anything by the way) it’s just certain terms such “as your government” “lawyer” and finishing with having a great day that stand out to me. My point being they have totally different way to handle these things and could account for the abruptness.

I don’t see where you can go from here with this especially as it says on the website no refunds, I understand that it was said verbally to you about rescheduling but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was retracted given the email exchange
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You're not entitled to a refund, nor would you want to send your mother to spend time with this person, so I would accept that you've lost the money but I would leave an honest review and publish the letter to warn others off.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Email from a different email address enquiring about the course and if there is availability to be booked on.

If she replies saying yes and asking for payment, then just say you have already paid.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think there's been a misunderstanding. In the reply from them they think you went to an airshow (You chose to cancel a booking to watch an air show and think I should put you in front of all of my other bookings,
    I think a polite email pointing out the misunderstanding might be the best way forward.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    If they're fully booked than what's their loss?

I doubt they would be able to fill a last minute cancellation, which is what this sounds like.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2019 at 7:34PM
    Agree with everything else that's been said, but, could road closures legally stop you travelling out of your home? The person above who suggests she's American seems to be correct.
    I too would explain the confusion , perhaps she's had a very bad day, not that there much excuse for that kind of communication.Id be expecting a very sincere apology, or name and shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure