Rules about car covers

We live in a residential area that requires us to buy a permit to park the car in marked bays on the street.

For the past few months, a camper van has been parked here with a cover over it, so it’s unclear if it has a permit.

I wouldn’t mind except it often is there for weekend on end and the people park it in such a way as to take up two spaces.

I don’t know if it has a permit but it was uncovered on Sunday (no parking permits required on Sunday’s) and I couldn’t see one.

The local council in their permit rules say that a permit needs to be displayed at all times. And that a car shouldn’t be covered to obscure the permit.

Yet when I called them, they said that they are not allowed by law to touch a cover on a car, so can’t do anything.

Is that correct?

Also should a car be required to have its number plate showing when parked on the toad - even if it’s in a parking bay on that road?

Thabks

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like catch22 to me. If council can't see the number plate they can't issue a ticket.
    What are you trying to achieve?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Absolutely correct.
    It is a well known dodge used by motorcyclists and scooters when parked illegally, they cover their number plate with the cover and parking wardens (or whatever they are called) can't move the cover to read the number plate.

Obviously they can't drive with the plates obscured, and I suppose the warden could simply wait until they come to drive away to get the VRM.

Unless the council are going to lift the van and take it to the pound because it is not displaying a permit, and is covered then they can't do anything, unless someone were to send them a video of the camper being uncovered on a weekday showing the VRM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Sounds like catch22 to me. If council can't see the number plate they can't issue a ticket.
    What are you trying to achieve?

I’d like the car to get a fine as it is not displaying its permit. That may sound a bit petty but I pay a lot for mine and if I didn’t display it one day for some reason I’d get a hefty fine.

It is frustrating because parking is limited and it doesn’t even park to the end of the bay to maximise space, effectively taking two spaces.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I!!!8217;d like the car to get a fine as it is not displaying its permit. That may sound a bit petty but I pay a lot for mine and if I didn!!!8217;t display it one day for some reason I!!!8217;d get a hefty fine.

It is frustrating because parking is limited and it doesn!!!8217;t even park to the end of the bay to maximise space, effectively taking two spaces.
    Then you lift the cover and get evidence that there's no permit, or better still just go and have a friendly word with your neighbour if it bothers you that much.
  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They aren!!!8217;t a neighbour unfortunately or I would. The cover has been locked
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Take a note of the number when cover is removed. You can check tax and insurance. DVLA can disclose the registered keeper if you have sufficient case to ask. If your council is anything like mine don't expect any help from them.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    "...and parking wardens (or whatever they are called) can't move the cover to read the number plate."

Why not? Have they been told they shouldn't by their employers or are you suggesting there is some sort of legislation preventing it?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Why not? Have they been told they shouldn't by their employers or are you suggesting there is some sort of legislation preventing it?
    It sounds as if this cover's locked down, so they can't.

In the case of fabric/plastic slip-over covers, I expect they've been told not to move or remove them. Inevitably one will get damaged, or the vehicle underneath will get damaged, and the owner will then be claiming the cost from the authority.
  • In the case of fabric/plastic slip-over covers, I expect they've been told not to move or remove them. Inevitably one will get damaged, or the vehicle underneath will get damaged, and the owner will then be claiming the cost from the authority.

I would have thought/hoped that if that was to happen then whoever was responsible for the damage would fight any claim due to the vehicle number plate being illegally covered. (assuming that the vehicle was parked on a public highway).

If the owner decided to take it to court, they would probably have to explain why they parked their vehicle with the number plate not visible as required by law knowing that risked a fine of up to £1000.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would have thought/hoped that if that was to happen then whoever was responsible for the damage would fight any claim due to the vehicle number plate being illegally covered. (assuming that the vehicle was parked on a public highway).

If the owner decided to take it to court, they would probably have to explain why they parked their vehicle with the number plate not visible as required by law knowing that risked a fine of up to £1000.

Can Civil Enforcemet Officers deal with number plate offences?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure