Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OFCOM General condition 9.3,
    Without prejudice to any initial commitment period, Communications Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for End-Users against changing their Communications Provider.

I believe this is the part that applies.
  • MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The 12-month deal I got with BT thru MSE ran out last month and I didn't follow up quickly enough, but just haggled with them and they're giving me another 12 months on the same deal.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • jaxkesa
    jaxkesa Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are no viable alternative providers to BT when your fibre service is FTTP rather that FTTC.

I have FTTP so am stuck with BT. Has anyone else managed to haggle and get a discount if there are no alternative providers?
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    I phoned BT last night as I wasn't happy with the increases.
    I presently pay £53 fot Phone/broadband/anytime calls and BT sport.
    I looked at Sky and I could get broadband/calls and phone for £38 plus BT sport £6. BT increases will bring mine up to nearly £60. I told them I wanted to leave. They then offered me the same for £50 a month for 24 month contract. I said I didn't want that. I was then put on hold for 20 minutes and she came back with a 12 month contract at £45 which I have accepted. So saving nearly £15 a month. It's still a rip off mind you
    travelover
  • BT were quoting me £576 for Infinity 1 for 12 months including line rental, BT Sport free till August and then £3.50 per month. I phoned to say I was thinking of leaving and after rejecting their first two offers they reduced the annual cost to £355 (£205 line rental for 12 months paid today plus £12.50 per month) plus half price BT Sport at £1.75 per month from August. Brilliant result! Thank you MSE!
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2017 at 12:17AM
    FTTP here too. I initiated contact using Live Chat to enquire about renewal terms and was phoned back next day.

I was immediately offered (and accepted) a 2 year contract started Jan 2017. Line rental saver, plus £9/month for Infinity 1 (52mbps) unlimited, evening and weekend calls (use 1899.com for daytime weekday calls), caller display. The £9/month increases to £11.50/month in April.

As you say there is no choice other than BT for FTTP so I am not bothered that it is a 2 year contract. The 52mbps download speed (10mbps upload) has been steady as a rock for the last 15 months. Very reliable. Satisfied customer (other than a nine months intense battle with BT/Openreach to get connected to FTTP in the first place - they wanted £17000 to connect me but got that reduced to zero).
  • merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    RosemaryW wrote: »
    BT were quoting me £576 for Infinity 1 for 12 months including line rental, BT Sport free till August and then £3.50 per month. I phoned to say I was thinking of leaving and after rejecting their first two offers they reduced the annual cost to £355 (£205 line rental for 12 months paid today plus £12.50 per month) plus half price BT Sport at £1.75 per month from August. Brilliant result! Thank you MSE!

Just negotiated the same deal as above:
    18.99 line rental
    7.00 Broadband
    5.50 Anytime calls
    0.00 BT TV Starter - at first he was saying 4.00 a month reduced
    to 2.00, but at the end got it for 0.00

Total 31.49, this will go up to 31.99 on 2 April, with the 49p rise for the Anytime calls.

Received the email confirmation with all prices as agreed 2 minutes after call ended. Very nice Liverpudlian helped me, even after admitting I was a Man United supporter - haha.

Note that you need BT TV on your package to get BT sports for FREE at the moment, Otherwise you pay an "out of contract charge" of 6.75 I think.

Starting in August, BT Sport for 1.75 (50% discount)

The broadband deal is for 24 months - the TV deal, including 50% BT Sport is for 12 months. You need to remember to call say in 11 months time, to RENEW THE TV for free with BT Sport at half price.
    Seems notes are made on the account, but the system only lets them discount the TV side for 12 months.

I remember Talk Talk was similar, in that I would do a deal for 12 months, but would need to call after 6 months, to extend the deal, as system only allowed a 6 month discount.
  • I've been with BT FTTC on Infinity 1 Unlimited with Unlimited calls for 2 years. Current charges work out at £42.34 and on top of that I pay £5 for my mobile. I've contacted BT retentions twice this week and the best offer I've had for the same package is £43.98. I have also contacted them to check that I can definitely transfer my number and the guy there also gave me a load of spiel about customer service before offering me their best deal of.............£43.98.

So I will be transferring to Plusnet which also includes calls to mobile in their unlimited phone package at a cost of £33.99 per month. There is an activation fee of £25 which I can offset by Topcashback of £70.

I would have stayed with BT if they had come in at £40 or below but hey ho if they want to play games I will and will probably rejoin them in 18 months time when Plusnet contract ends:doh:
  • scotty_591
    scotty_591 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Managed to haggle with BT.

I am on the BT Infinity 2 package with evening and weekend calls.

Phoned up a few weeks ago and said I was leaving, they offered me a few pounds off a month but I rejected it and they said I can leave penalty free up until the 2nd April and that I would get a call from their retentions department

Waited for the call and I never received it (turns out I missed them calling once and they never tried again).

So I rang BT up this morning and explained I was waiting for a call from their retentions department and hadn't received it. The man on the end of the phone put me through to the retentions department.

They asked me all the questions like why I was leaving and they offered me a few pounds better discount than I was offered the first time and I rejected it.

After a while the lady from the retentions department offered me the exact same as I was getting now for £16 a month less on an 18 month contract.

So through 2 phone calls I managed to save £16 a month which bought my total monthly payments below £40.

Now I could have got a better deal with another provider and I could have saved another few quid by switching but I am happy with BT's service and am a heavy user so I was happy to pay a bit more than another provider to keep the same service.

It pays to persevere guys/girls.

TL/DR;
    Paying over £50 a month for BT Infinity 2 + Evening and weekend calls

Phoned BT up twice and on the second time spoke to the retentions department and managed to get a reduction of £16 a month. :beer:
  • Looking over the past 6 months bt broadband bills they are never the same yet it says I am on a fixed rate. im paying around £86 per month including line rental, they keep charging me for bt sport even though i have asked them to remove it over a year ago, they also charge me for caller privacy display again i asked them to cancel this over a year ago at £1.79 a month Was on chat to them for 2 hours trying to get charges sorted out, spoke to 4 different people and got no further forward, is there an email I can contact them on to complain?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback