PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2018 at 3:36PM
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    It could be 50 years before we see the economic benefits of Leaving according to Jacob Rees-Mogg, or if you prefer a businessman's perspective - 100 years. Both of them supported and campaigned for Leave. But as you say, it's not permanent.

Once prices go up they do not come down. The increases in the cost of living will be permanent, and if the border control discussions and planning taking place right now are to be believed, EU members will not want their produce sitting in a lorry park for four days while we check paperwork. One truckload of fruit, veg, meat and dairy going off will be the only one each EU's exporter will be prepared to accept because food margins are low, trucks are an expensive investment, and the drivers' time expensive. After that, they will simply not both trying to bring us any food at all. There will be a glut in Europe, prices will drop and next year the farmers will produce less.

See here for WTO tariffs on beef and lamb. There are no doubt other documents readily available for other products such as medicines (if we have the regulatory infrastructure in place that makes importing them legal). We will be paying tariffs on imported food until we can do trade deals but we won't be getting better terms than anyone who currently has a trade deal with the EU. So that's not permanent, but it will significantly increase the price of 40% of our food.

And I for one am praying neither I, nor anyone I care about, gets diagnosed with cancer in the forseeable future, because it'll be a fatal diagnosis with No Deal. That may not be permanent, and for the majority of people that's fine. For those currently taking shedloads of imported drugs because they had bowel cancer a couple of years ago, it's not so comforting that one day, some time in the future, we'll be able to import radioactive isotopes again if it comes back. Don't get breast cancer, either, obviously. Does any on this thread know how long does it take to train nuclear scientists?

You can be absolutely certain that all of the MPs on the front bench have private medical insurance, and that they can afford to fly to anywhere they can get treated. I can't, but maybe others on this thread can. If not, better start saving. It won't be permanent, but it might taka few years to do these trade deals, so stay well until then.

We won't be flying to Europe, because the Open Skies agreement ends with our No Deal departure from the EU. Michael O'Leary has been warning about this for over two years, so it's not news.
    Hi

In earlier posts there's reference to what you post " .. is not scare-mongering", however the posts you've made continually do a very good job of attempting to do just that ... scaremonger ...

This is not the thread to vent anger at any particular colour/flavour of politicians or attempt to sway public opinion to a remain cause, it's simply one where anyone who has accepted that Brexit is almost certainly going to happen in some form or other share information to mitigate the impact of any trans-border product supply issues which may arise. What I've seen over the past few pages seem to be regurgitation of argument seen elsewhere, much of which can easily be challenged ... taking a sample just from the above-referenced post as an example ...

- " prices will drop and next year the farmers will produce less" .. in which case there will be considerable pressure from the individual EU countries placed on Brussels to urgently negotiate a fair trading agreement on perishable goods to prevent economic impact, so the 'project fear' point raised becomes self defeating even from an EU standpoint ...

- " .. See here for WTO tariffs on beef and lamb." ... So, the only reference to tariff details that contains are an industry view of EU border tariffs for imports, not WTO ... interestingly that link actually describes how much the EU penalises imports to protect the internal market ... for example product code 02011000 (Carcases or half-carcases) 12.8% + 176.8 euros/100kg - effectively increases the cost of beef imports by 84% and for sheep carcasses the data shows +46% ... from a consumer pricing point that seems to be something the could have a positive impact on supermarket shelf pricing!. The report also shows an opportunity for the UK to meet a greater proportion of it's own internal market in this sector - addressing this could effectively halve the import requirement in this particular sector with the remainder sourced globally if the EU are slow to agree a fair trade treaty in this sector - Argentina, Brazil, USA & Australia readily come to mind whether on a WTO or negotiated trade deal basis ... it's likely a win/win for UK consumers, a win/loss for UK producers & a loss/loss for EU producers, so again, massive pressure on Brussels to up their performance from various parts of the continent.

- ".. And I for one .." ... Okay, accepted, there'll be problems with regulating & approval bodies if someone really wants to make them to prove a point by intentionally shortening the potential lifespan of others ... however, the consequences of attempting this would likely be pretty severe if (/when) applying existing EU law & treaty provisions ... what really needs to be understood is that both the medical supplies industry & the medical instrumentation companies exist on a global basis and as such are not controlled by the EU ... in other words, alternative source likely exist for most things and as internationalised standards equivalence already exist in a global market, issues raised regarding this point are usually well exaggerated by those looking to 'scaremonger' for some reason or other ...

- "We won't be flying to Europe .." - Fine, then we'll be staying at home or flying elsewhere in the opposite direction .... the issue here is that both UK sovereign airspace and UK controlled airspace are currently managed as part of the European Common Aviation Area ... fine, so the likely outcome of not entering into a bilateral aviation agreement & intentionally manufacturing problems for UK flights to EU destinations would be the closure of almost all current EU source transatlantic routes in UK controlled airspace whilst the eastern Atlantic air operations (SOCC) based at Prestwick are fully duplicated within the EU (likely Shannon in Ireland), however, the cost & disruption (ie heavily restricted (/no) transatlantic flights to/from Europe) of actually doing this in the short-term would be immense and therefore something to avoid by relatively straightforward negotiation .... so is this argument really something to stress over, or is it simply another 'project fear' attempt to scaremonger? - well, a few more UK & EU summers like this one & it'll be a moot point, I've no issue with 'staycations' whilst the negotiators discover that it's a 'storm in a teacup' - anyone else?

The more the argument & indecision raised & caused by those still haven't accepted that we'll be leaving the EU, the less opportunity for planning a route through the process prior to leaving is available ... Brexit could have been a relatively straightforward process if the ideology & emotions of those in denial (within the UK & EU) hadn't got (/weren't still getting) in the way ..

Less scaremongering would be good overall, but on this thread it makes little difference .... we here are more likely to already have some form of plan than the 'experts' who are supposed to be planning!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm out!!!

Tbh. I too am fed up with the politics on here.

I thought this thread was supposed to be a practical guide and a place to share ideas and information of how to prepare ourselves for whatever we may have to face, not to engage in political point scoring.

(The title of the thread was self explanatory was it not)

Instead it has been systematically hijacked by people who want to spread what amounts to hysteria and who have a political axe to grind.

The place for political posturing is on the Discussion board.

The Old Style boards are for people who want to take a practical hands on approach to saving money and to managing their lives well.

I too am now out.

I leave the Politicos to their hand wringing and posturing.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Tbh. I too am fed up with the politics on here.

I thought this thread was supposed to be a practical guide and a place to share ideas and information of how to prepare ourselves for whatever we may have to face, not to engage in political point scoring.

(The title of the thread was self explanatory was it not)

Instead it has been systematically hijacked by people who want to spread what amounts to hysteria and who have a political axe to grind.

The place for political posturing is on the Discussion board.

The Old Style boards are for people who want to take a practical hands on approach to saving money and to managing their lives well.

I too am now out.

I leave the Politicos to their hand wringing and posturing.
    I'm following you out the door.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Lessonlearned I deleted that post because I'm still able to add something to the discussion and if I walk away the thread will have one less voice trying to give a little hope to people in this sad situation and leave it to the doomsayers who are wallowing in self pity and striking out at all and sundry who have the nerve not to agree with them. There has to be a balance and a voice that isn't just about what will be lost and whose fault it is, there has to be a voice to say it's got two sides this debate and there has to be a voice of reason and reasoning not just mine but the voice of the 52% of people who DID vote leave not because we are light minded idiots who listened to the wrong side of the argument but because that's freedom of thought, speech and action within a democracy and needs some champions!
  • An expert in international trade educated James O'Brien on what will happen after Britain leaves the European Union

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/expert-schools-james-obrien-on-brexit-facts/

Listen and weep for for the UK and its people.

No comments on this? Please listen to the interview, it's extremely important.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

I listened! ... :D .... if the content was made in context, and everyone had time to check the context I'm referring to, then it might be worthy of comment, however, I did like the presenter's retort as it just about sums up and balances the caller's virtual & obviously well rehearsed rant ... "our passports will be blue" ... love it, if only more people applied their sense of humour to such things maybe the world would be a less stressful place ....

Did it make me want to particularly worry or weep about the effect of Brexit, no ... however I did start to worry a little about the effect of a stressful full bodied rant on the caller's blood-pressure!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • I don't know about passports being blue it will be our mood that will be blue unless we get on and start planning how to go forward and not who to blame, perhaps we need a 'blue moon' moment and common sense will return from whence it has departed to?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mrs L I feel the same way so I will stick around although I do sometimes think it's pointless trying to make reasonable points with people who are determined only to think the worst

And to think DH tells me I'm a pessimist. Actually if you look at my signature I see myself as being practical. Keep your glass topped up and stay cheerful

However I can't let one thing pass. I disagree strongly with Jacob Rees Mogg on innumerable issues. But he did NOT say it will be 50 years before we see any benefit from leaving. He said the benefits would flow over the course of the next 50 years. Quite different. In effect he was saying that our children's lives will be better than they would have been.

Whether or not you agree with him is a matter of debate but not one I will enter into. I will continue to concentrate on keeping my glass topped up
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • CHEERS! Mary!

It's a bit like having the vote, if you don't at least try to get what you believe in to happen then you've negated all the sacrifice made by those stalwarts who got us the vote in the first place. So if you don't vote you've no leg to stand on when it comes to how we're governed and you don't like it!

If I don't try to keep people looking positively towards a different but not necessarily disastrous future then I'm letting down my own beliefs as a prepper so I will continue to put in my 'two pence worth' of my own brand of philosophy on life and not let all the wailing banshees have the only say in what is a really important discussion for all of us to have.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!

No, no comment.

I Listened but Didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

Brexit is a done deal......and no amount of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth is going to change that fact.

Post Brexit The world will keep spinning on its axis, the sun will rise and set and the moon will wax and wane.

So ......I'm just going to take a leap of faith.......and get on with the business of living.

PS. Mrs LW. You win......I'll stick around. Lol.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback