Virgin Media line rental saver refund

I have broadband with Virgin Media and been paying £10 a month for years for broadband plus the annual line rental saver.

The discounts gradually came to an end and the price for the broadband has gone up to £29. After a several phone call with Virgin, the best they would do is £22 a month and I decided to get my phone & broadband elsewhere.

I was told by Virgin that as I'm midway through the line rental saver, I won't get any refund when I cancel it.

However, I read here that this would be in breach of Ofcom rules:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/26/bt-wont-refund-line-rental-leaving-regulator

Am I correct?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rules from Ofcom

ALR refund yes if its due to VM notifying you of an IN Contract price rise .You have the price rise email and contact VM on the given number to cancel due to price rise in contract .

So your contract is what exactly ?
    Is ALR out of sync with BB .

Repeat you are in a VM contract and that contract has a price rise .Cancel due to in contract price rise ALR refunded . Other cancellation or moving ISP no refund .
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The line rental saver contract was out of sync with the broadband. The broadband went up due to out of contract price rise followed by the expiration of loyalty discounts. I had made it clear to VM that the reason for the cancellation was solely down to the increase in price so t seems I was clearly misinformed.

Just spoke to VM cancellations and they immediately agreed to refund the line rental saver.

Thanks for your help.
  • IdeasVacuum
    IdeasVacuum Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you are correct - it would be nice to have an Official Virgin rep on this forum, as TalkTalk do.
    However, £22 a month will be very hard to beat!
  • pphillips
    I think you are correct - it would be nice to have an Official Virgin rep on this forum, as TalkTalk do.
    However, £22 a month will be very hard to beat!

Not hard to beat at all as it was £22 a month just for the broadband, the line rental worked out as an extra £14.67 a month.
  • pphillips
    Still no payment received for line rental saver, despite chasing up several times. Customer service at Virgin Media is just appalling. When I called recently they have absolutely no interest in what I had to say, only interested in their own script and the companies agenda (not to pay up). Whenever they promise to call me back, none was received and the next time I phone them it's back to square one - they have nothing on their screen about any of the previous phone conversations (when they agreed a refund was due). Have raised a complaint with a reply due in 72 hours, will email CEO if still no reply and start ADR in 8 weeks time if necessary.
  • pphillips
    No reply to complaint from Virgin Media after 8 weeks so went to CISAS, Virgin Media settled in full and banked the cheque today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure