Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Comments

• I noticed that two amounts of £2.99 had been taken from my bank account by Equifax. On looking on here, and looking at my emails from a year ago I found that I had cancelled my Equifax account 1 year ago, and confirmed in an email to them, which simply stated that I wanted the account cancelled. I did not agree to any other service, yet they have started taking this money. I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to get it sorted out, and was told that they could cancel the subscription but that they couldn't give me a refund and that I had to do that using their website at equifax then forward slash ask (I couldn't input the URL) I complained this was ridiculous but was told it was the only way I could ask for a refund. So I did it whilst she was still on the phone, but it asks for a category and then a question subject - but guess what - REFUNDS aren't on there at all! So after lots of messing around I have now submitted the question to this stupid system asking for my refund and confirming that if I do not receive it within 7 days I will report them to Trading Standards (and I work with the ECC Trading Standards a lot through my work) and the police. This is out and out theft! They should not be allowed to get away with it. Yes it is only £2.99 a month, but the principle is the same if it was £299 a month. They should not be taking it. For safety, I am also contacting my bank to ask that they also stop it from their end, as I cannot trust this thieves any longer. If they think this will ever mean I go back to them if I need a credit report in the future they will be very much mistaken. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hey jac1970stone, how did you get on with cancelling and reclaiming the money? I am still being charged, my bank told me there was nothing they could do so interested to know whether that approach worked for you?

They're absolute thieves, I agree, and should not be on MSE as a suggested provider for Credit Scoring when they seem hell-bent on just screwing you over.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hey jac1970stone, how did you get on with cancelling and reclaiming the money? I am still being charged, my bank told me there was nothing they could do so interested to know whether that approach worked for you?

They're absolute thieves, I agree, and should not be on MSE as a suggested provider for Credit Scoring when they seem hell-bent on just screwing you over.

Ask or even request they cancel the payment, ask what the last payment will be taken and if the 1 after it has been taken then complain.
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    If you ask the bank to cancel CPA's they must. Contact your bank again and insist, speak to a manager if you have to.

I would also insist on a refund from when you original asked them.
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • JKSandy wrote: »
    If you ask the bank to cancel CPA's they must. Contact your bank again and insist, speak to a manager if you have to.

I would also insist on a refund from when you original asked them.

Thanks JKSandy. They said that the issue was that it was set up as a card payment so they couldn't cancel it. I'll speak to them again tomorrow and see if they can change their tune.

If I get a refund from when I originally asked (online form, phone call and letter) then I should get at least a years worth back!
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Afraid you spoke to an idiot. A CPA on a card is just you authorising a series of card payments. Each goes through individually.

Payment Service Regulations 2009 s55 give you the right to withdraw consent for both an iU]individual payment[/U] or a series of payments, so this bloke is plain ignorant or fibbing to you.

Talk to a manger and insist they do it. Tell them you will also be claiming back any already taken or that are taken in the future, via the FOS if necessary
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • rizla_king wrote: »
    Afraid you spoke to an idiot. A CPA on a card is just you authorising a series of card payments. Each goes through individually.

Payment Service Regulations 2009 s55 give you the right to withdraw consent for both an iU]individual payment[/U] or a series of payments, so this bloke is plain ignorant or fibbing to you.

Talk to a manger and insist they do it. Tell them you will also be claiming back any already taken or that are taken in the future, via the FOS if necessary

It's still ongoing so I will be taking this information and fighting for my money back. Have just contacted my bank to ask for their "advice" on the matter, now to write another letter to the credit report thieves and politely demand they pay back all that they stole.

Thank you so much for your advice!
  • wrightstuff
    wrightstuff Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 May 2015 at 3:50PM
    The ONLY thing to do with Equifax is AVOID them at all cost.

If you have to give a Card Number for this (or any) subscription... use a CREDIT CARD and not a Debit Card. A Credit Card can more easily be cancelled whilst it's almost impossible to stop a company TAKING money from your bank account without closing the account!

Experian are much easier to deal with or cancel . Simply contacting Equifax online is a real nightmare.

Equifax are just HORRIBLE.

Noddle is the best option - permanently FREE.

AVOID Equifax!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The ONLY thing to do with Equifax is AVOID them at all cost.

I cancelled last week with Equifax once i had checked my report.
    If you have to give a Card Number for this (or any) subscription... use a CREDIT CARD and not a Debit Card. A Credit Card can more easily be cancelled whilst it's almost impossible to stop a company TAKING money from your bank account without closing the account!

I used my debit card with no issues
    Experian are much easier to deal with or cancel . Simply contacting Equifax online is a real nightmare.

I phoned Equifax to cancel, didn't bother contacting them online.
    Equifax are just HORRIBLE.

Weren't for me, did have to reiterate a few times I wanted to cancel
    AVOID Equifax!

Id say the opposite.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I phoned Equifax to cancel, didn't bother contacting them online.
    You can't cancel online, I think that's the gripe - you have to go through the hard sell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure