Buying Shares

Hi

I am looking for the best platform to buy £500 worth of shares, these are just for fun and I may sell them in the short term if the prices rises but if it does not I am happy to hold for the long term.

I have had a look at the Halifax share dealing service and they do not have an annual fee and charge £12.50 per trade, is this a good offer in terms of costs or are there better?

Thanks

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    X-O charge a flat fee of £5.95p.

£500 is a very small amount to invest in a share. You be better off buying a fund of some kind and not actively trading. Simply holding it for the long term.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,564
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    X-O worked for me
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 10:45AM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »

£500 is a very small amount to invest in a share. You be better off buying a fund of some kind and not actively trading. Simply holding it for the long term.

Depends on the shares.........£500 of £5 BP shares or £500 of £0.05 shares in an AIM company who the OP might work for;)
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There are better ways to have fun.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Depends on the shares.........£500 of £5 BP shares or £500 of £0.05 shares in an AIM company who the OP might work for;)
    That wasn't really the point being made - of course it's possible to buy £500 worth of most shares, where the unit price permits this, but the issue is that relatively small purchases are disproportionately affected by trading costs, i.e. buying (and later selling) at £5.95 means that a £500 investment needs to grow by about 2.4% just to break even, whereas £5000 worth would only need 0.24%.

Stamp duty is charged as a percentage so doesn't really affect this comparison, and likewise buy/sell spreads, but any fixed costs for platforms, etc, may also impact the evaluation.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    i quite fancy doing something similar!
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »

Thanks, I will have a look at X-O. I have an investment portfolio and SIPP and have just transferred some funds around to reduce the overall risk. I just fancied a little risk money and gamble on these shares.
  • Depends on the shares.........£500 of £5 BP shares or £500 of £0.05 shares in an AIM company who the OP might work for;)

Thanks, the shares are currently valued at 3 pence each, as I said this is just for fun. I have other investments and SIPP for my serious investments.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2019 at 8:25AM
    sebo0607 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for the best platform to buy £500 worth of shares, these are just for fun and I may sell them in the short term if the prices rises but if it does not I am happy to hold for the long term.

I have had a look at the Halifax share dealing service and they do not have an annual fee and charge £12.50 per trade, is this a good offer in terms of costs or are there better?

Thanks
    Halifax is only £12.50 if you want a live trade anytime the market is open.
    You can buy for £2 using the once only regular investment where you invest on one of the 4 or 5 days a month chosen by Halifax.
    You can sell using the one a month cheap trading day for £3.95.
    That is probably the cheapest buy then sell cost you will get and for a £500 investment will work out like this:

Buy transaction fee - £2
    Stamp Duty - £2.50
    Sell transaction fee - £3.95
    Buy/Sell spread between 20p and £5+ say £2
    Total - £10.45 or 2% of your initial £500 investment.
  • There's nothing fun about spunking £500 up the wall.

Add it to your SIPP or use it for a holiday if you're not wanting it to be invested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure