Paying to get fibre to the house

I have had a good look through the various posts on here, so please forgive me if I am asking something that has already been asked (didn't spot anything).

Has anyone tried to get fibre broadband to their house (ie doing away with the last bit of copper which slows everything down).

We have Superfast Broadband where we live (amongst the first in the country, allegedly, courtesy of the EU and the local authority and various others) but it's not fast enough!!

A lot of small business parks and a huge number of homes are being built around us. and I swear that our speeds are getting slower.

If anyone has managed to get their copper connection changed to the "fibre to premises" who did you contact. Openreach? A local contractor? Your Broadband Provider? More to the point, how much did it cost as I am sure the road probably will need digging up.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FTTP is not an add on is new optical cabling from the exchange not the cabinet .

BT Open reach are rolling out FTTP.
    But OR are not a public facing company in regards to ordering .

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first
  • What speed do you get now and what speed do you need ?

I only get 34Mbps and that plenty for me gaming and streaming, son gaming and streaming, Sky downloading and Mrs Womble facebooking
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you. We have registered with OpenReach for updates regarding ultrafast, as they say they have no plans do roll it out in our area. They suggest that we get all our neighbours to register too, as they say "the more registrations we have for ultrafast in your area the better".

I have made contact with a local telecoms engineer to come and look at our set up as our problems may be partially solved with moving a few things around (ie wires!!!). Several years ago, when we had our water meter fitted, the idiot contractors chopped through our phone line and it was months before Openreach sent people round to fix it. I am sure they probably did join all the ends together, but it's another thing that bugs me …………… maybe they didn't!!!

I will update this when we've had the telecommunications engineer out as it may help others who have unreliable internet.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2019 at 1:40PM
    Speed varies, and to be fair it's fast enough when it works but the big problem is that the internet drops out quite regularly which is a nuisance if we are watching something on TV and even more of a nuisance when we set things up to record and the recordings fail.

We don't really do gaming - apart from my daily Microsoft Mahjong Challenge (brain training!!). It's more just general use of the PC and our phones. I have never really considered what speed we actually need - it's more of a reliability issue.

I have just done a check and it's 20.2 Mbps down and 5.7Mbps up.

If I do it again in an hour or so it will probably be quite different.

We pay for "Faster Fibre" which suggests possible download speeds of "up to 38mb" and whilst we fully understand the concept of "up to", ie that would be anything from 0 to 38, we are just exploring the options of improving the service.
  • JJ_Egan
    Drop out over wifi or ethernet ??
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    FTTP is not an add on is new optical cabling from the exchange not the cabinet .

Err, no. The fibre is run to the nearest optical node, which is usually the nearest FTTC enabled cabinet. Fibre will only be run back to the exchange if there is no fibre node nearby.
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    I have had a good look through the various posts on here, so please forgive me if I am asking something that has already been asked (didn't spot anything).

Has anyone tried to get fibre broadband to their house (ie doing away with the last bit of copper which slows everything down).

We have Superfast Broadband where we live (amongst the first in the country, allegedly, courtesy of the EU and the local authority and various others) but it's not fast enough!!

A lot of small business parks and a huge number of homes are being built around us. and I swear that our speeds are getting slower.

If anyone has managed to get their copper connection changed to the "fibre to premises" who did you contact. Openreach? A local contractor? Your Broadband Provider? More to the point, how much did it cost as I am sure the road probably will need digging up.

You need to lookup you number on a dsl checker. If it says FTTPoD then yes you can order for a price (££££).

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
  • JJ_Egan
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Err, no. The fibre is run to the nearest optical node, which is usually the nearest FTTC enabled cabinet. Fibre will only be run back to the exchange if there is no fibre node nearby.

I was describing the new FTTP rollout by OR /slightly confused by OP fibre to the house .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    only 3 providers supply fibre to premises, which means the monthly cost is very high!

I wouldn't want it!
  • JJ_Egan
    Depends if you deal or no deal .
    FTTP 80/20 costs me less than a fiver pm .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure