Train ticket refund - not needing to travel now

I bought a return train ticket via trainline for my daughter to travel from uni in Leeds to home in Southampton for a few days. She has now announced that she's going to keep her car at uni so won't need the train tickets. Spoke to trainline who said I can only get a refund on the one journey because acsue the other other is an advance ticket. So confused - aren't they both advance tickets (not booked for travel til December). Can anyone give advice please? I booked them online via their app. Doesn't the 14 day cooling-off period count? Thank you.

Comments

• Not sure what relevance of decision re car is. What does 'acsue' mean? What 14 day cooling-off period?
  • Not sure what relevance of decision re car is. What does 'acsue' mean? What 14 day cooling-off period?

The relevance of the car is she'll now have it with her at uni so will drive the car and doesn't need the train tickets. acsue appears to be a typo.

14 day cooling-off period for being able to change your mind when buying online.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    superbmum wrote: »
    14 day cooling-off period for being able to change your mind when buying online.

If only that worked for certain items (travel/event tickets etc) - you'll need to find another reason to ask for a refund
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,673
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    superbmum wrote: »
    Spoke to trainline who said I can only get a refund on the one journey because acsue the other other is an advance ticket. So confused - aren't they both advance tickets (not booked for travel til December). Can anyone give advice please?

an Advance (capital 'A') ticket is a specific type of ticket that can only be booked in advance of travel, is for a specific train only and is usually the cheapest tyype of ticket ther is. You cannot get a refund for this type of ticket, only amend it for another date of travel for a £10 admin fee.

The other half of the ticket is presumably a different type of ticket - e.g. Super Off Peak, Off Peak or Anytime Single. Although you can book these ahead of travel you can also buy them on the day. you can get a refund on these tickets for a £10 admin fee.
    https://www.thetrainline.com/en/help/question/5015/cancel-your-ticket-or-get-a-refund

The 14 day cooling off period for online purchases does not apply to transport services (also concert tickets and accomodation such as hotel rooms).
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I concur with @p00hsticks , though I will add that she can get the Advance fare changed to a different date/time, if that helps. This can be done for a £10 fee (plus any difference in fares) providing the change is made before the originally booked train is due to depart (even an hour before would be fine).

Many retailers will only charge one £10 fee for both legs to be changed, if they are both changed on the same day, however I am unsure what Trainline's policy is; some will charge £10 per ticket.

So if she is going to make another journey in, say, January or February, she could change the tickets to a day of her choice shortly before the originally booked date of travel in December.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What 14 day cooling-off period?
    That would be The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, section 30.
    k3lvc wrote: »
    If only that worked for certain items (travel/event tickets etc) - you'll need to find another reason to ask for a refund
    Whilst section 28(1)(h) of the aforementioned act lists the following exclusions for which the right to cancel does not apply, I see no reference to travel in general (unlike attending an event such as a concert, travel is not a leisure activity):
    "the supply of accommodation, transport of goods, vehicle rental services, catering or services related to leisure activities, if the contract provides for a specific date or period of performance."
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    The 14 day cooling off period for online purchases does not apply to transport services
    Where do you read this in the aforementioned act?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,443
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2019 at 7:00PM
    Chino wrote: »
    The 14 day cooling off period for online purchases does not apply to transport services
    Where do you read this in the aforementioned act?
    Regulation 27 of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 defines the scope of that part of the Act relating to "distance and off-premises contracts between a trader and a consumer".

It states:
    (2) This Part does not apply to contracts to the extent that they are—

(a) ....

(b) ....

(c) for passenger transport services.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts