Welcome to the Supermarket Coupons Board, especially for stories!

Comments

• Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi there

We completely understand your concerns, but the aim's to help as many people save money as possible by letting them know all the tips and tricks.

We've had this kind of loophole often in our weekly email to 8 million people and we're not about keeping MoneySaving tips secret.

The idea of putting all this information in one place and encouraging people to brag about their stashes and show pictures etc will make it easier for unscrupulous people to clear the shelves and leave nothing for people who do not have a lot.
    When I first joined this thread people reported their finds to help others.
    Showing pictures of extremely cheap items you have bought will not benefit anyone but yourself if you have cleared the shelves and left none for others.
    I think this thread will encourage people to be greedy rather share their finds.
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    littlebit wrote: »
    Tesco are no longer issuing pdf coupons in their online magazine anymore because of the sheer amount of people using them mainly because of certain unnamed sites encouraging people to post pictures of their coupon haul etc so the greedy and competitive people that want to get one up on everyone else have abused the printable pdf mocs like no ones business, which i believe has resulted in them being pulled completely.

Now genuine coupon users who can not get hold of the mag in certain areas have to go without, some people rely on coupons i for one know that without coupons i would not be able to afford what i consider "treats" as they are too expensive for me to buy at full price, i also i agree with what everyone else is saying all the information you are asking people to post in this one specific thread is already available if you dig around a little.

I for one will not be contributing here i will stay amongst other pages i use and share any finds i may have there.

My local Morrisons have stopped taking any internet coupons due to coupon abuse. The shop assistant told me it has been gradually getting worse since the extreme couponing programmes have been on tv and that some people have been really aggressive when coupons have not been accepted even though they have not purchased the products.
  • anyakitten
    anyakitten Posts: 69 Forumite
    Anyone remember articles such as this one ?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2121535/Ultra-money-savers-wreck-charity-bake-plans-free-bread-offer-goes-viral.html

Aren't you just encouraging others to behave in the way that all couponers were so lambasted for at the time, even those who only use an odd coupon like myself ? If its all collected on one thread that MSE set up and promoted you won't be able to say "A spokesman for moneysavingexpert.com said '50 paperback books of information' was posted on the forum every day, making it impossible to monitor it all"
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi there

We completely understand your concerns, but the aim's to help as many people save money as possible by letting them know all the tips and tricks.

We've had this kind of loophole often in our weekly email to 8 million people and we're not about keeping MoneySaving tips secret.

We as a country are going through a hard time, and this includes Scotland, Ireland and Wales. There is some disagreement about whether we are heading to or are already in a double dip recession.

EVERYONE can probably benefit on tips and tricks to save money.

Recently a friend asked for help, due to difficult circumstances on benefits, would love to work but not practical right now. Instead of asking how many more benefits could be claimed, they got practical. Dug up some of their garden to start growing own veg, tried to make friends with local butcher to get offcuts etc.

They asked how to shop on a budget. yes I pointed them at the coupon threads and why not? BUT I also pointed them towards the famous Old Style threads. the threads where everyone is welcoming and says list what is in your cupboards, we will help you meal plan for the week.

Why are you not promoting Old Style more? Being frugal is fashionable too you know. Cheapskates on TLC maybe taking it a bit far but what about MissMoneypenny? and all the frugal blogs that have sprung up?

How refreshing would it be to see a big promo about Old Style, have more of that in the weekly newsletter. It is tips and tricks to moneysaving...... the famous rubber chicken - five meals to feed a family for a week out of one chicken.
  • Dr.Who-Who
    Dr.Who-Who Posts: 7,774 Forumite
    This OP needs to be strip off MSE :rotfl::rotfl:

because of you blabbing away supermarkets are accusing people for using "photocopies" coupons when its internet coupon. Supermarket trouts have not heard of "internet coupons":rotfl:

Because of Martin Lewis 5 minutes fame on TV, Oct 2010 was Black Friday!:mad:

because of that reason I have stopped contributing as you are pushing us away from MSE.
    RIP my dear dear parent : Mum aged 62 (17/5/1990) & Dad aged 89 (23/1/2012)

• littlebit
    littlebit Posts: 598 Forumite
    Auntycaz wrote: »
    My local Morrisons have stopped taking any internet coupons due to coupon abuse. The shop assistant told me it has been gradually getting worse since the extreme couponing programmes have been on tv and that some people have been really aggressive when coupons have not been accepted even though they have not purchased the products.

My main asda have too they will not take any printed coupons or safe coupons what so ever.
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    I first got involved with MSE properly just as the original DTD scheme was about to get pulled. I recall admiring the stash photos of attics & garages bursting at the seams ..... that is until I found out how it was done. This forums is asking for a repeat performance and MSE will see its name tarnished for effectively promoting coupon misuse.

I find myself in a position where couponing isn't just a hobby but is now a necessity and having seen some recent examples of pure greed by some users, MSE are putting coupons at serious risk of being withdrawn once and for all. Most of my Asda stores refuse to take ANY coupons bar their own APGs and even at that, it can be an ordeal. This coincides with another glitch on here that some abused then went running to the newspapers with for their 5 minutes of fame.

Couponing is a hard enough business in the UK. Extreme couponing to the degree we see on the TV show of the same name is just not possible within the T&Cs of most coupons. Stores here don't offer incentives like double ups or ordering in hundreds of an item so we can get them for free.

When will MSE learn that nothing is a secret but to instead give it to everyone on a plate just to earn some kudos is not the way to encourage people to stay on these forums?
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Without making myself sound thick :o what happened on Black Friday ?
  • purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    DG22 wrote: »
    Sounds very much to me like certain EXCEPTIONALLY GREEDY people here (most of whom come from the ELITE thread) don't want others to stumble across these threads because they fear they will lose out !!
    These people stockpile goods they don't really need or could possibly use before it expires whilst other people starve. They are not just driven by money saving, but it seems to be PURE GREED. In many cases buying hundreds of 1p items to sell on EBAY/Boot sales rather than what they can personally use!. You're the ones who will ruin it for everyone !

MSE is about sharing and spreading the word to as many as possible, not to a select few post on certain forums.

I find this really offensive. I use the ELITE to find bargains and whenever I find some I make sure I leave some on the shelf for other people to find. With the items I find I donate them to friends that can't afford food at the moment and the rest to the food bank and occasionally I will keep the odd item for myself. If you read the thread properly you would know I am not alone in doing this.

The point people are trying to make is not to keep it a secret as such, but not to publicise it to the maximum as the system gets abused by people who don't necessarily need it. There needs to be some balance where everyone can benefit without everyone taking the p!
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    Without making myself sound thick :o what happened on Black Friday ?

Apparently up until Black Friday there was a lesser known coupon policy in Tesco whereby they took a coupon for any product regardless of whether you bought it or not just as long as they stocked it. In other words it was a free for all for quite some time until Martin Lewis blabbed about this on TV and very shortly afterwards Tesco withdrew the policy.

Yet again it's a case of MSE wanting to be popular but underestimating the consequences of their actions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure