Broadband

Decided to move further into the 21st centuary and i'm looking to upgrade from dial up to broadband. Don't want to change telephone number. I'm an average user i.e. don't download loads of tunes or vids. Anyone got suggestions for a good braodband package?

Comments

• Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi and welcome to the site :)

I'm going to move this over to the Internet and Broadband forum for you

regards , Sheel
    Same old same old since 2008

• RaihanT
    RaihanT Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post
    pappleya wrote:
    Decided to move further into the 21st centuary and i'm looking to upgrade from dial up to broadband. Don't want to change telephone number. I'm an average user i.e. don't download loads of tunes or vids. Anyone got suggestions for a good braodband package?

Hi and welcome to the board. For ADSL (most common type of broadband), the internet comes down the same lines as the phone line and you don't need to change your phone number. You pay line rental to BT same as usual for your phone and you 'activate' ADSL. You then pay an ISP to provide you with broadband (sorry if patronising)

if you not downloading videos or music then a low-cost capped broadband would suit you. Ive recommended Metronet in the past as it costs 10 pounds a month for 200MB usage, should be enough for normal browsing. This is for 512K speed. If you want to spend a bit more, there lots of other options with varying prices such as Prodigy broadband that offer 2Mb broadband for 14.99 a month.

http://prodigynet.co.uk if your interested
  • Prodigynet looks good if you are a very low user as the price of £14.99 relates to a 2GB capped package - The ususal package is £37.99.

I have been with e7even for 6 months now and have to say that their service is really great I have recently extended my package for only £7.50 per month! They also include free .uk domain name and web hosting if you fancy the idea of your own website. They have a special offer on at the moment :

Sign-up to any Annual E7even Subscription and get HALF PRICE CONNECTION (normally £50.00) AND receive a FREE 1 Port ADSL Modem/Router.

Or

Sign-up to any Biennial E7even package and get completely FREE CONNECTION AND receive a FREE 1 Port ADSL Modem/Router.

This offer is strictly limited to the first 500 customers who take advantage of this offer, so don't delay, sign-up today!
    To infinity and beyond!
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Also watch out for companies hidden charges.

Some companies will charge you for connection and a modem,whereas others will give you them free..

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • SamShah
    SamShah Posts: 22 Forumite
    for high users ukonline are donig 2mb no caps for £30. considering is no caps seems quite good.
    Sarah x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport