Peak/off-peak confusion

I have just looked at purchasing a rail ticket from London Waterloo to Ash Vale, with a 16-25 railcard departing around 5pm on a Friday evening.

I was astonished to find that the off peak fare (which is defined as a cheaper ticket for travelling on trains which are less busy) is £2 more expensive than the anytime fare.

I'm pretty sure I have seen reasoning for this somewhere before but I can't remember now. Does anyone have any ideas why? I have just tried emailing them but the contact address on their website bounced :(
Save £12k in 2014 Member 81 £1930.23/£5000

Comments

• Simon11
    Simon11 Posts: 751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you take a screenshot of it!
    "No likey no need to hit thanks button!":p
    However its always nice to be thanked if you feel mine and other people's posts here offer great advice:D So hit the button if you likey:rotfl:
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No surprise, the off-peak fare is a RETURN!

There is no off-peak single fare.
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 October 2012 at 7:19PM
    sorry miss read OP ignore
  • Axial
    Axial Posts: 76 Forumite
    The Fares available for London to Ash Vale are:

LONDON TERMINALS 1072 - ASH VALE 5547

ASH VALE 5547
    rte Any Permitted
    SWT

(S/R)
    FDS S 22.10
    FDR R 26.40
    SDS S 13.40
    SDR R 16.00
    SVR R 26.80
    CDR R 15.20
    FRX R 25.10

The Anytime Day Return (SDR) is more than the Off Peak Day Return (CDR), with YP Discount that would be £10.55 SDR and £10.05 CDR
  • Hi all

Thanks for the help, it was indeed the fact that national rails website was suggesting that as an alternative I could buy the off peak return (for my single journey). I get seriously confused some times, why do they have off peak returns but not off peak singles. I'm probably just being stupid though.
    Save £12k in 2014 Member 81 £1930.23/£5000
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ellejaytee wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks for the help, it was indeed the fact that national rails website was suggesting that as an alternative I could buy the off peak return (for my single journey). I get seriously confused some times, why do they have off peak returns but not off peak singles. I'm probably just being stupid though.

Some route do have off peak singles. Not sure if you are unlucky not to live on one (cheaper fares) or lucky (less scope for confusion) :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure