HL SIPP - Fund for Cash

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    This strategy suits me perfectly right now as I have just retired but I would not be doing this if I was still in the accumulation phase.

I agree that investment strategies for accumulating capital and decumulating should naturally be pretty different. I wish more writers were clear on the point. The "time in the market" argument, for instance, seems to me to be weaker for the retired, for whom "market timing" may not be a bad idea.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • My assumption, rightly or wrongly, was that the 2 posts related to all his holdings, not just his investments.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I read it as.cash fund with hl..no charges but would like .5%
    If you got .5% but incurred .45% charges would it be worth it
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have asked this question and not found an "answer"

My own personal feeling is we are at the top of a long bear market (second longest in history) While I don't rule out further gains, the risk of falls is too great for me at the moment as I am only looking at a short time scale, about 5 years.

I wish there were a "savings account" say 2-3% interest option to hedge against inflation, but there is not. So it's cash, or take a risk. How lucky do you feel and what is your investment time scale.

Most say invest for the long term and ride out the downturns, but if investing right now I would apply a strict stop loss and be ready to bale out back to cash at the first sign of a crash.
  • ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 8:04AM
    In a similar position to the OP regarding HL SIPP cash holdings which are only gaining a very small interest rate (over and above the 25% tax relief gain from annual £2,880 contributions).

Was listening to the 26th March - 5 live Consumer Team with Martin Lewis podcast - where a guest FA mentioned Investec protected Structured deposits - which seem to return you either your original deposit (minus platform and IFA charges) or the deposit plus a fixed return that works out at slightly above 4% PA (minus charges) depending on whether the FTSE 100 is higher or lower between a fixed set of dates 3 years apart. According to this document they seem to be FSCS protected up to £85k https://www.bestpricefs.co.uk/assets/plan/ftse-100-3year-deposit-plan.pdf

I appreciate that HL do not offer this particular product as it is only available through an IFA so the costs could work out more 1% PA - but as the maximum loss is a predictable amount that can be written off on day1 then I am considering this sort of product as an alternative to SIPP cash.

Next step for me is to find out what the platform and IFA charges would be and also whether there are any non IFA alternatives.
  • triplea35
    triplea35 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ukdw wrote: »
    Next step for me is to find out what the platform and IFA charges would be and also whether there are any non IFA alternatives.
    https://www.moneyworld.com/

I have used these several times for Investec Structured Deposits and Investments. Non advice, 0.5%fee.
  • Morphoton
    Morphoton Posts: 90 Forumite
    There is the Legal & General Cash Fund:
    http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-cash-class-i-accumulation
    Looks like the yield is 0.30% and charges are 0.15%, leaving a massive 0.15% !
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:06PM
    ProDave wrote: »
    I have asked this question and not found an "answer"

My own personal feeling is we are at the top of a long bear market (second longest in history) While I don't rule out further gains, the risk of falls is too great for me at the moment as I am only looking at a short time scale, about 5 years.

I wish there were a "savings account" say 2-3% interest option to hedge against inflation, but there is not. So it's cash, or take a risk. How lucky do you feel and what is your investment time scale.

Most say invest for the long term and ride out the downturns, but if investing right now I would apply a strict stop loss and be ready to bale out back to cash at the first sign of a crash.

I'm definitely no finance wizard but wouldn't we be at the top of a "Bull" market? Surely you are at the bottom of a "Bear" market?

Doesn't National Savings offer 2% (don't think you can use it in a pension fund though)?

Edit: No, apparently they don't.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You could always try a variant on Harry Browne's Permanent Portfolio. 25% cash, 25% (index-linked?) gilts, 25% the cheapest global equity tracker you can find, and 25% gold. Rebalance once per year and otherwise ignore.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Morphoton wrote: »
    There is the Legal & General Cash Fund:
    http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-cash-class-i-accumulation
    Looks like the yield is 0.30% and charges are 0.15%, leaving a massive 0.15% !

... or -0.30% after HL's 0.45% fund charges, i.e. negative.

May as well stay in cash for 0.00%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport