Accessing Xbox away from home

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    not how it reads to me?

I'm not sure how there's any other way to read it, the OP has asked if there's any way for the son to play their Xbox at a friend's house without actually taking the Xbox/TV and possibly using the a laptop. If the Xbox One game streaming feature worked over the internet then it would be possible as they could simply take the laptop and stream from the Xbox One at home over the internet to the friend's house (which the Vita/PS4 can do with remote play).

However the feature only works when the PC and Xbox One are on the same network.

John
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how there's any other way to read it, the OP has asked if there's any way for the son to play their Xbox at a friend's house without actually taking the Xbox/TV and possibly using the a laptop. If the Xbox One game streaming feature worked over the internet then it would be possible as they could simply take the laptop and stream from the Xbox One at home over the internet to the friend's house (which the Vita/PS4 can do with remote play).

However the feature only works when the PC and Xbox One are on the same network.

John

we need the OP to clarify. either player can log in and play on the xbox/stream to the xbox.
    Its relates more to what games they want to play.
  • Johnmcl7
    Forumite
    we need the OP to clarify. either player can log in and play on the xbox/stream to the xbox.
    Its relates more to what games they want to play.

I don't see what they need to clarify, they asked if the son can play with their friend at the friend's house without taking the Xbox/TV with them and using a laptop instead - this would be possible if the game streaming feature worked over the internet but unfortunately it doesn't. Your suggestions seem focused on the son playing on the friend's Xbox using the son's account rather than playing at the same time.

John
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't see what they need to clarify, they asked if the son can play with their friend at the friend's house without taking the Xbox/TV with them and using a laptop instead - this would be possible if the game streaming feature worked over the internet but unfortunately it doesn't. Your suggestions seem focused on the son playing on the friend's Xbox using the son's account rather than playing at the same time.

John

Which they can. one on the xbox,one streaming to the laptop.
    The Op has yet to clarify what games they want to play.
    if its ones on the sons account then this is possible.
    however you have decided you are right and not willing to accept we need to wait for the OP to clarify.
    So you are right :)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    however you have decided you are right and not willing to accept we need to wait for the OP to clarify.

As I said earlier, a lot of games do not have couch co-op, its online co-op/matchmaking only. Even if the game does have couch co-op, the only thing you'd be doing is duplicating the splitscreen onto the laptop - which is wholly redundant when they're sitting in the same room side by side with the tv screen undoubtedly being much larger than the laptop screen.

If the game has no couch co-op then they would only have the option of taking turns to play (even if you streamed it to the laptop monitor) and would not be able to play together.

The only way to guarantee they can play any game together would be taking a tv and xbox with him.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Pfft, kids these days don't know the meaning of "lugging" a TV to another house. In my day, TVs weighed more than us and if they broke down you could take out the insides and live in them. That's why house prices were so low!

Ah, the good old days.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    Pfft, kids these days don't know the meaning of "lugging" a TV to another house. In my day, TVs weighed more than us and if they broke down you could take out the insides and live in them. That's why house prices were so low!

Ah, the good old days.

:rotfl::rotfl:

To be fair though, back in those days consoles typically allowed up to 4 players (game dependent) and there was no "online". Although my consoles then sure were smaller than consoles now!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Johnmcl7
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 7:00PM

That wouldn't work as the Xbox One can only output a single display so the laptop would simply show exactly the same as the TV.

I have decided the OP wants to access the Xbox One from home using a laptop because that's exactly what they asked (which unholyangel agrees with), it's the actual title of the thread:
    Accessing Xbox away from home
    My son wants to go to his friends house and play on his Xbox there. They both want to play games at th3 same time iykwim. Other than lugging the Xbox and tv over there, does anyone know if there is another way he can access his login? He has a laptop, so is there a way of accessing it without the machine?

It's not a complicated question and I've genuinely no idea how you're even interpreting that as your suggestions for game sharing and now in game streaming the same display make no sense.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Forumite
    :rotfl::rotfl:

To be fair though, back in those days consoles typically allowed up to 4 players (game dependent) and there was no "online". Although my consoles then sure were smaller than consoles now!

The death of splitscreen gaming is very frustrating, yes the image quality took a hit but had many fun hours with four player on the N64.

John
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    The death of splitscreen gaming is very frustrating, yes the image quality took a hit but had many fun hours with four player on the N64.

John

I believe (just personal opinion, not based on any statistics or evidence) its because the majority of games are now FPS and playing FPS in splitscreen (especially online multiplayer) is bloody horrendous. Thus game devs have moved away from it.

I recently played A Way Out and the only way to play that game is splitscreen co-op (whether couch or online) but for the type of game it was, it worked. Also, the game devs included a feature where you can invite anyone to play with you - even if they don't have the game. So only 1 of you needs to own the game for both to play it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure