The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Do i pay the PPI Company?

Hi im new to this your help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a nuber of claims with uclaim4me and thus far theyve been very good in getting my claims completed.

The last one to deal with was a claim with black horse hey offered around £900 and uclaim4me called and requested payment of 33% plus VAT and £10 admin fee.

I spoke to the guy and said yes im happy to pay this once the cheque has cleared.

While i was waiting for the cheque to clear i called blackhorse myself and asked if the figure offered was correct, it turns out im owed more money.

My question is if uclaim4me try and purse payement for the aditional amount even after i have chased it do i pay them the extra money?

Comments

• PSW
    PSW Posts: 46 Forumite
    On anecdotal evidence the one thing claims companies seem to be proficient in is claiming their fees.
  • Thanks PSW what if i have a letter from Black horse showing evidence that the increase in payment is a result of my dorect phone call?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks PSW what if i have a letter from Black horse showing evidence that the increase in payment is a result of my dorect phone call?
    Check the legally binding contract you signed with the Claims Company.

They represent you in ALL your PPI complaints.

One phone call does not supplant this contract.

Sorry, but you'll doubtless be receiving an increased bill...
  • Surely my argument would be that as far as they were concerned the account was closing?

I have pursued the aditional refund?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Surely my argument...
    Check the Company's T&Cs, you don't have any (legal) argument.

If you didn't want to pay, you shouldn't have signed an agreement to pay them a set % of any successful PPI complaint.
  • Check the Company's T&Cs, you don't have any (legal) argument.

If you didn't want to pay, you shouldn't have signed an agreement to pay them a set % of any successful PPI complaint.

Thats why im asking the questions to gain advice im happy to pay if its owed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The answer to any question that begins 'surely,' is always 'no'.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the complaint had already been settled and paid out and then the amount was being increased then you would not pay the CMC. That is in the CMC rules. However, if the complaint has yet to pay out, then the CMC would expect to collect against the full payment received.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Stu_83
    Stu_83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi does anyone know if I need to pay the company that we're trying to claim for me? They approached myself and asked to claim on my previous egg credit card. I've claimed previously for a few things but wasn't sure if I had claimed on the egg.
    They have said that I had already claimed and are now trying to charge me £150 admin fee. Is this a must pay thing?!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Stu_83 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if I need to pay the company that we're trying to claim for me? They approached myself and asked to claim on my previous egg credit card. I've claimed previously for a few things but wasn't sure if I had claimed on the egg.
    They have said that I had already claimed and are now trying to charge me £150 admin fee. Is this a must pay thing?!

This admin charge for wasting their time is a popular charge with CMCs and usually written into the contract you sign. Check yours.

If you told them that you were not sure if you had complained previously and they still offered to check then they should not charge.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure