Single 20 something mum - time to kick myself up the bum!

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck with your journey - just a little thing, but you mentioned that you do a postcode lottery that you pay for. Did you know that there is a free one that you could do?

It is at http://freepostcodelottery.com/ Several people who post on the small things thread on here do it, though I must confess I have given up!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I do surveys - I've made about £50 through Paypal payments and vouchers over the past 6 months. They're boring but I just sit and do a couple whilst I'm watching TV

Good luck with your DFW journey
  • 50 pound in 6 months :-( which ones do you use?
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • Thank you all for the great ideas!

DawnW - I've signed up to that free postcode lottery didn't even know it existed so thank you!

butterfly234 - Thankyou for the suggestions on surveys and make £10 a day thread I'll have a look into those! I'm lucky I have really good family (my daughter's dad is also really good too, he has her set days pays maintenance etc so I don't have any stress regarding that). My mum and step dad have helped me out loads in the past and still pay for a lot for my daughter. Makes me even more embarrassed that I've gotten into such a mess.

Didn't get a chance to pop out today so today was another NSD, have worked out - for those who like to exercise but can't afford the gym Fitnessblender is BRILL!!
    Just typing this then finishing my essay and making some carrot soup!

Tomorrow is my day off so will pop out to get the wrapping paper maybe take my daughter to a play centre depending on the weather. Have around £8 in my purse unaccounted for so that will cover that.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.
    Debt Total October 2017 £20,511.27 :eek::eek:
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello!
    Well done you. You're doing brilliantly. A messy break up and losing your dad seems like a pretty good reason to fall off the wagon. Bless you.
    Good for you cracking on with eBay it really is the best way to build up some extra income to slay debts. I found it so addictive and just tried to sell anything and everything. In between that and facebook i think i made £1000 And i never thought I owned anything worth anything.
    I'm also 26 though and rather cross with you for pointing out we are 30 in 2020 - that had never even crossed my mind! I'm copying your target. Debt free for 30 sounds good. And manageable. Good luck xxxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Thankyou kitten! I know I need to get myself out of this as I know if I don't stop now the debt will just keep increasing k by k! Think my aim is £40 per month eBay sales to top me up but I will see how it goes. I just hate the long post office trip to post everything and the look you get from people when you poll up with 10 parcels!

Sorry to remind you we are 30 in 2020 haha! I'm hoping my 30s will be the time when I don't have to worry about money but that's about all I'm looking forward to.

I'm thinking of changing the amount I put in my daughter's savings from £25 to £5 as that would free up an extra £240 a year to pay off the debts? I feel terrible doing it but it's a fixed isa until she is 18 and she's 3 so I know I'll be able to make up the difference once I am debt free! My mum also puts £10 a month in there so it'll still be getting £15 a month.

Entered quite a few competitions on mumsnet and cosmopolitan while I was laying in bed this morning and have taken some more pics of clothes my daughter had grown out of for ebay so productive morning so far.
  • Oh and also paid £4.72 off cc3 to make it a round number and transferred the £14.30 I had earned on quidco to my bank account. This along with £4.50 tesco clubbers voucher will help towards Christmas presents for family.
  • Quick update, yesterday and today ware NSDs although on Monday spent £18 in B&M Bargains but that included all the wrapping paper for my daughter's birthday tomorrow, some bin liners and the last of the Christmas presents for my niece. Also spent £8 cash I had in my purse in tesco on Tuesday for balloons (including an LED unicorn balloon) and a banner to decorate the room for when she gets up. Nursery were having a stripes and spots day today for children in need so had to donate £1 for that.

DFW things I've done this week:

- Joined and completed all surveys available on onepoll
    - Signed up to toluna and done surveys daily
    - Joined swagbucks
    - Posted more items on Ebay
    - Submitted my essay for uni

So tonight after work I need to tidy and clean the house, get my daughter to bed, wrap all her presents, blow up the balloons and decorate, exercise as I've only exercised once this week and somewhere in between all that cook, eat and shower?!?

Taking my daughter out tomorrow for her birthday so tomorrow will not be a NSD but hope to spend no more than £30 - this has come out of some money I had stashed. Unless her dad pays then I'll be happy :rotfl:

9 days until payday and have around £45 spare money to live on until then to include food and petrol - should be doable as should only need a little petrol and fresh bits for the fridge - any money leftover will go towards CC 3.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Here is a point of interest - I'm paying NOTHING into my daughters ISA whilst I have debts. Because any % you make in there will be greatly outweighed by any apr you pay on debts. If you want to put in money to her ISA and can't then work out how much you would have put in, and treat it as a debt (include lost interest if you want) and then pay that off AFTER all the real debts. She will be no worse off but you won't have been paying debt APRs for her to get 3-4% interest in the mean time...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I also dont pay any thing into my girls' isas as I think they'd be better off with a debt free mummy in a better house. I'm hoping I'll have myself together when they are grown up plus right now I just can't do the hours to earn enough. They will be at school before i know it then I can earn real money. X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills