Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Unusually, I've discovered a product I'd never buy again because it's so inferior to the main brand (and I loathe brands!):

Aldi Honey Nut Cornflakes - really quite unpleasant.

TBH, I fail to understand why anybody eats cereal of any brand or flavour. It's all cardboard to me. Why not eat proper food?

Even as a child in the 60/70s I would only ever eat "proper" porridge. Forget the instant ready brek stuff - vomit in a bowl lol

Give me an egg any day :D
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    TBH, I fail to understand why anybody eats cereal of any brand or flavour. It's all cardboard to me. Why not eat proper food?

Even as a child in the 60/70s I would only ever eat "proper" porridge. Forget the instant ready brek stuff - vomit in a bowl lol

I'd partially agree with you on the strength of the Aldi Honey Nut Cornflakes, but it'd be pretty boring just to live on 'proper' food.

Back to the Lidl muesli and granola then - a reasonable compromise. :)
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's nothing wrong with Ready Brek.
  • Krave is the breakfast to die for :D

Literally :D

Oatibix or porridge please ;)
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

You contradict yourself . Porridge = oats = cereal
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The Aldi version of "Special K" with red fruits is very nice.

Just saying.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    treboeth wrote: »
    Krave is the breakfast to die for :D

Literally :D

Oatibix or porridge please ;)

I disagree. I'm not keen on Lidl, but i buy this by the boxes of 10 so i dont have to go to the store very often. Even less so now that i am on a diet.:(
    f2j2vl.jpg
    Aldi's equivalent isnt half as nice.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the UK Lidl's have not followed the pattern of the Lidl's in mainland Europe.
    Over there, the fresh bakery produce is behind a plastic screen, and you have to select individual items. It is kind of difficult to describe, but it stops people touching the stuff and kids playing around (or even partially eating) the goods.

It works both ways. The hygiene measure you describe is good.

Talking to a friend the other day whose DH is French. They were buying a serrano ham from Lidl here to take to France because French Lidl stores don't have them.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the UK Lidl's have not followed the pattern of the Lidl's in mainland Europe.
    Over there, the fresh bakery produce is behind a plastic screen, and you have to select individual items. It is kind of difficult to describe, but it stops people touching the stuff and kids playing around (or even partially eating) the goods.

Maybe the renovation of the UK stores will incorporate something similar for the bakery.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2016 at 6:02PM
    Aldi have started doing date+nut and other 'energy' bars.

The Cashew & Date bars are 39p. They are reasonably small, but still good value. At first they tasted a bit 'simple' compared to other similar bars, but now that I've eaten a few, they taste great. I like the Macadamia & Coconut bars the most. The 'Bike' banana bar was OK, but not wonderful.

My local Aldi has gone gluten free in a big way. I don't eat gluten free products myself (except those that are gluten free by nature such as the date and nut bars.) There is a lot for those who avoid gluten, however.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Surprised at the comments criticising Aldi bread - I've found the Tiger Bread and the Malted Bloomer excellent.

I like the wholemeal bloomer, and had it for my sandwiches today. I wish they did a larger loaf in that style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure