Scam masquerading as UK Dept of Finance

I've just had a phone call from the "UK Department of Finance"!

The man with an indian accent preceded to tell me that I could claim back all the bank charges I have paid, so would I like the money back in a cheque or straight to my account? :eek: Alarm Bells!

I asked which company he was calling from several times. He told me, no it is not a company but the UK Department of Finance. I said I'd never heard of it! He went quiet.

Then I asked him where he got my details from? He wouldn't answer so I had to ask several times. Finally he said "why should I tell you where I got them?" to which I replied "Why should I tell you anything about my finances?" I asked again where he got my details and he preceded to tell me my correct address but I did not confirm it. I just asked again where he got my details from and which company was he calling from? He then said "You're not listening. I have told you that you have bank charges you can get back"

In the end I just said that if he wanted to put something in writing he could but that I would not discuss anything of this matter over the telephone. He then said "Ok, in writing" and put the phone down.

It is obviously a scam but I am a bit alarmed that he has my phone number and address, especially as I am on the TPS register (which I am about to enter my details in again!).

Has anyone else had such calls?

I have paid bank charges in the past, but not many. Probably under £100. The last charge I paid was actually given back straight away by the bank.

Off to vist TPS website now ....

Comments

• This sounds exactly like the call I just received, about which I have posted in a thread called "Is this refund call SCAM?".

(MSE won't let me post links, as I'm a 'new user'! I've only been here for three years!)
  • They're still at it, calling using what looks like a mobile number 07988912191.
    Indian sounding gent, trying to convince me that the Government has told the banks to refund 'everyone' with £2300 worth of bank charges and his department has the job of arranging this.
    Interestingly, the banks will apparently charge 47% if I ask them direct about it and they will only refund if you can prove you have taken out a life insurance policy within the last 2 months???
    This is where he can help me he says!!!!!
    After I had asked him a lot of awkward questions he put me on to his 'manager'. I told her I would research this issue on the internet and before I could finish speaking she'd hung up.
    If, like me, you're reading this after an internet search into the company - well done.
    If you're reading it after having second thoughts about agreeing to something CALL YOUR BANK or which ever details you gave and warn them about what you have done.
  • Amazingly enough they are still going. Hung up when I told them there was no claim. Number is 07945207164
    They should learn to use some realistic sounding department names....well done monty for keeping them busy. Off to check how to block numbers now...
  • I get regular calls from the "British Finance Department". I normally ask where they got my details from and they never answer but then get angry with me when I ask them to remove my number from their system, one woman even yelled at me. Today I asked to speak to the woman's supervisor and she said he had died today and that I should pray for him! Then, after I asked again to speak to someone more senior, she said that I could speak to her supervisor but then she'd get fired, then she started getting angry with me and it sounded like she was taking the p***. I eventually got fed up and hung up I've tried to block the number but they keep ringing from different mobile number - not sure how to stop it! If anyone works out how - please let me know!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Best way is to stop engaging with them. Hang up instantly. Blow a whistle down the phone or do anything other than talk to them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I too have just had an almost exact same call from an Indian accented caller - 0333 3056580. He purported to be from the UK Department of Finance, talking about how the Government had a cheque for £1800 waiting to be posted to me - I was a bit confused as Im in the middle of a PPI claim. I asked him if this was for PPI, he said no, then ASKED me whether I'd bought life insurance in 2018. Alarm bells ring with me with all of these unwanted calls - I only picked up as I was working on my laptop and phone was right in front of me. I said to him if he'd just hang on, I'd Google his company; nearly everything related to it came up with the word SCAM. I told him this, and I said 'If you have a cheque for £1800 to post to me, carry on, good luck, I'll look forward to receiving this, but you are getting NO DETAILS FROM ME WHATSOEVER. He HUNG UP lol! I really feel for older people in this scenario.....
  • SMCG
    SMCG Posts: 87 Forumite
    Hi. I would recommend a call blocker or ask the telephone company about their own blocking service.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Why do they get upset when you tell them that they are trying to scam you?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport