Halifax suspended account.

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Antonio Osirio as per post #15

Write to the address above but also email and attach the letter.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • geoffibs
    geoffibs Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't clear sooner - was convinced I'd put down that I'd mailed and expected it to be ignored as it would be passed to someone else. I did mail thank you but had no response as of yet. The mail didn't bounce though so looks like a mailbox still exists on the end of it.

I'm feeling a little negative at the moment.

I'm also looking after my Dad and haven't slept in two weeks properly so things are just merging together. I'm not being clear.

I really do appreciate everyone's help.
    Thank you.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Working at a bank previously - I can say that there are some very sophisticated fraud that goes on that a lot of the public will not be aware of, we are talking not far off Oceans Eleven. The banks end up being between a rock and a hard place where they have to make security measures so strict even when we know it will affect normal customers.

It is like how we have to go through so much security and clearance through the airport, in case that 1 dodgy geezer comes through.

Try not be too hard on the bank, but do realise that security has to be super tight and you will probably have to jump through ropes to get the money - but it is only to make it much more harder for fraudsters to steal peoples money.

In this case, your father was unable to pass security over the phone and he is also unable to come to the branch - two security fences that he couldn't commit to. If the banks became too lax on this, mark my word, fraudsters will find ways to abuse the system process. Even with the home visit, there are certain security concerns that the security team have to follow.

I am sorry for the inconvenience - and I hope it gets resolved shortly. Due to fraudsters and those who try make things difficult, unforuntately there is no perfect process for customers that can really exist - and your father has unfortunately come to a situation which is fortunarely rare. I think maybe more should be done to possible promote Power of Attourney being set up for elderly in case of these situations.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I only empathise with the OPs situation and the emotional turmoil they must be going through, this is a prime example where LPA should have been initiated earlier.

I speak through experience, not as heart wrenching as the OPs but, my mother was stricken with a water infection, simple you may think, but it wasn't really noticed and untreated it went on to significantly affect her mental faculties. It took her over 18 months to return to a more 'normal' state. Luckily we were able to implement an LPA once the situation became apparent.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • geoffibs
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    ...snip

In this case, your father was unable to pass security over the phone and he is also unable to come to the branch - two security fences that he couldn't commit to. If the banks became too lax on this, mark my word, fraudsters will find ways to abuse the system process. Even with the home visit, there are certain security concerns that the security team have to follow.

snip.....

Nobody is disagreeing with the security at all. We are actually reassured by it. BUT - the nature of their business dictates there have to be things in place so people can get their money in difficult circumstances outside of the regular security protocols. These things are in place now for that very reason.

This is still not the banks money and this is the risk they take in the business they are in. Yes, there is only so far they can go because in your own words, there is no perfect process and if banks want to be custodians of peoples money then they should accept all parts of the responsibility providing the customer discharges theirs - my father has done nothing wrong don't forget, it just appears fraudulent when it actually isn't. They have in place a system for this but point blank refuse to implementing it.

That is the issue, not the security. As you say, there is potential for all systems can be exploited so at what point do they decide not to give implement a security practice in case it is exploited? Yes he failed the previous two. Well, he didn't actually fail to be fair, he was slow in getting the answers because he couldn't remember in time and he was dismissed, and the physical attendance is obviously something they come across often or they wouldn't have home visits.

So yes, I can be hard on the bank considering I got the ok off the local branch manager initially.
  • geoffibs
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Whilst I only empathise with the OPs situation and the emotional turmoil they must be going through, this is a prime example where LPA should have been initiated earlier.

I speak through experience, not as heart wrenching as the OPs but, my mother was stricken with a water infection, simple you may think, but it wasn't really noticed and untreated it went on to significantly affect her mental faculties. It took her over 18 months to return to a more 'normal' state. Luckily we were able to implement an LPA once the situation became apparent.

Everything is good in hindsight. There's lots of things he wished he had done. He was out shopping in the morning he was taken to hospital....

Rightly or wrongly, my Dad always thought he would just pop off one night and not have chance to organise things and everything is taken care of in his will. He never actually thought he would ever be in this situation.

Maybe more general awareness is what is needed. Like you, I never thought I'd be in this position myself.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    geoffibs wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, my Dad always thought he would just pop off one night and not have chance to organise things and everything is taken care of in his will. He never actually thought he would ever be in this situation.

Well, if the will already specifies what he wants to happen to the money then, as I suggested right at the start of the thread, he really doesn't need to do anything now, the money will get distributed according to his wishes eventually (hopefully later rather than sooner).
  • KJSmith
    KJSmith Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2018 at 7:05PM
    Options
    geoffibs wrote: »
    N...They have in place a system for this but point blank refuse to implementing it
    the physical attendance is obviously something they come across often or they wouldn't have home visits.

Halifax does not routinely do home visits. It is considered an exception to their usual processes which as you have found is therefore subject to approval beyond the Branch Manager and a risk assessment. I imagine the reason for not being able to do a home visit will lie in this risk assessment but I can't see them sharing the details of this with you.

If I was in your position I would be doing as you have and resubmitting your complaint. You might find that the allocated Complaint Manager is also empowered to consider process exceptions for vulnerable customers.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The lesson learnt if you are not sure you can pass the security check and you know you are not able to visit the branch in person don't even try and ask for a 3rd party access form instead.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    The lesson learnt if you are not sure you can pass the security check and you know you are not able to visit the branch in person don't even try and ask for a 3rd party access form instead.

This is fine in theory but when, like OP's father, you are ill - rational thought can go out of the window.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport