what information of mine will they ask for?

Options
Al44
Al44 Posts: 21 Forumite
I recently witnessed a car accident and feel bad for the victim as it wasn't their fault. a crazy driver who wasn't paying attention to the road crashed into the back of them. I gave my phone number to the victim and want to help him.

I just wondered if anyone has ever acted as a witness in a similar situation?
what will be asked of me? e.g with they ask for things like my national insurance number and address etc?

and will I be expected to go physically go into court to give evidence?

no one was seriously hurt or anything but the victim ended up with a badly damaged car

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Al44 wrote: »
    I recently witnessed a car accident and feel bad for the victim as it wasn't their fault. a crazy driver who wasn't paying attention to the road crashed into the back of them. I gave my phone number to the victim and want to help him.

I just wondered if anyone has ever acted as a witness in a similar situation?
    what will be asked of me? They will want to obtain an account from you and possibly a written statement. e.g with they ask for things like my national insurance number No.and address etc? Yes.

and will I be expected to go physically go into court to give evidence? You may well be asked to attend.

no one was seriously hurt or anything but the victim ended up with a badly damaged car

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I had a similar experience, I got a letter from the victim's insurer a few eeks afterwards asking me to complete a statement - basically a straightforward account of what I saw. They're looking for facts, not your opinion of who's to blame.

Obviously they'll have to 'phone you to get your name and address. I can't see any reason why they'd need your NI number, inside leg measurement, etc!

It's extremely unusual for these things to end up in court, especially if it's as clear-cut as you've described.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming you are not a psychiatrist (or if you are you didn't examine the driver), then don't comment on the driver's mental state, or assert who was to blame!

A witness is just that - you saw what happened, nothing else you add will help the driver you call the "victim"
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also - write down what you saw and heard as soon as possible ie now, in readiness. Your memory will fade and become distorted over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure