Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,528Posts
    • 39,921Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 359
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Aug 19, 6:10 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 20,634 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Great day. Had tickets to see England v Wales at Twickenham. Good win for England. There was a great atmosphere. There were 2 teenage stewards with enormous flags in front of us who had to run past each other when England scored. The had a great time. I had missed watching rugby.

2. Went to Kew gardens prior to the rugby. I have a yearly pass with them as often go prior to an evening match. There is a glass sculpture exhibition on. As we walked through a shop there one of the staff said 2 pieces of the glass had been sold that morning to the same person. Combined total of almost £13,000 as DS1 would say that's a house deposit.had

3. All train journeys good and managed to get a seat on them all.

4. Good football result. Lots of family WhatsApp messages about it.

5. Managed to fix printer for DH. He loses patience if doesn't work instantly.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Aug 19, 7:11 AM
    • 9,383 Posts
    • 60,714 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures yesterday.....

Coffee and chat with friends.

Roast chicken dinner.

Finally got attic cleared out, don't have to go up there ever again. Trouble is, there's a mountain of stuff that came out of it to deal with.

Finding lovely photos of me, OH, our son and my daughter. Don't want to chuck them but where to display them all?

Forgetting that Poldark was on so a visit to Iplayer on the menu today, a deferred treat!
    One life - your life - live it!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Aug 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 36,001 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sounds like a smashing day VL
    Thinking of Sue x

Sunday pleasures,

Bacon butties for breakfast.

Capt S toook himself off to Egbaston to watch cricket so had a quiet day at home by myself.

Tried tidying debris off garden but still windy enough to be blowing around so gave up.

Took small dog for a long ramble, good to stretch legs and found some decent blackberry bushes so will be back with containers.

A hedgehog in the garden, first time seen in years have been living here, it was rolled up into a ball as small dog found first but was quite a large one.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Aug 19, 7:24 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 39,921 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    wet indeed mhags
    1) woke to alarm (3:15am) and hugged mrpiano off for his 3 years in Alabama adventure
    2) a friend had come back from the farewell drink and stayed for a cup of tea - he went at 4:45.
    3) made it to church, albeit 30 mins late
    4) mrpiano's plane - 'hydraulic issues' became apparent on the runway so he spent the night at Gatwick
    5) some slow tidying while watching the rest of Beecham House - Poldark set in India if you ask me. Good bubblegum for the brain. Am now starting on 800 words
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 12-08-2019 at 7:31 AM.
    Be like a postage stampóstick to one thing until you get there.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Aug 19, 11:24 AM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 36,178 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Then came the Grouse Ö
    Poof it was gone, the weakened. Just like that! Back at the mill.

Had nite out last eve, and Raffles, King of the Road, walked us off the parish. Why do stupid cats do that? So I has the jug of wobbleade. And we have to pick him up on the way home. He stays in his restaurant, the unprotected newt pond! Well I say unprotected because them who protected the newts could not care less about them, even though round the back of where we has the wobblefizzes, they be plenty of unprotected newts.

Had snorker fest on SatDay, no best back this weak as we had left over snorkers! Served up with poached egg and mushrooms! Watched the T20 cricket on SatDay and we had chilli chicken wings and some wobbleade as well! Raffles enjoyed his wing bits and I always put them out for birds on the table as well. The table prevents Raffles from munching, he has his own restaurant, see above! Inn the morning theys be gone!

PM2DD Good games from the mariners and the goooners, and even happier that the scooonts, who were going to trounce this, theys bee the strongest team in the EFL. Theyíre 71 clubs above them! And to think they has a Grimsby reject in charge of them as well! And yous wants to see the banter on Cod Almighty!

Didnít find film to watch but has put some on the stick of fire from flix net. More later this weak. Did watch again the tour of grand, as we has finished with the comics drinking coffee and cars.

Day 5. No not missed any yet, but we has the call at 12. So yous wandering. Well BoP has gotten and changed his lunch box! He has to lose weight like money on a Friday nite inn town with BoPsie! So today BoP has no biscuits. None, finite. Got it. So what is BoP eating this day.
    Breakfast
    Poached egg and peppers!
    Lunch Box
    Satsuma, berries, toms and cucumber with two cheese!
    Supper
    Topped cheesed flat iron mushroom, chillied and some more peppers! With BoPís berry mix as well! Good for you.

Way Inn at the Gym tonite, you will just get the losses! Though BoP is already beach ready, you cannot be too careful! As he has muted, he needs to rid the puppy fat!

Well they said go to work on an egg and BoP has done so! Nows I hears you says that egg is bad for you? It is not! Just remember that BoP cooks in Lard and Butter, not the glycerine coloured emulsions and although one of his tests was wrong, his cholesterol is in check at 4.4 and 1.8! That is what you get when you donít coat the walls of your arteries with emulsions. Remember emulsions are for walls, walls of your house!

Nows yous pondering why no cakes of Jaffa or proper digestives this weak? Well yous see when BoP had Jenny he gave up the sweets. Now he just walks pass the aisle of carp foods and sweets like they do not garner his needs. He did get beach ready, but he has to take it further! Now yous looking at that nice cake on the emporium shelf, with its luscious looking cream. It is all glucose, like that foam drink? The need avoiding. Just like whens BoP was on his apprenticeship and we learned of the dangers of double processed food!

Theres, that bees enuff BoP for this day!

When you come to my house you can has whatever is on top of the fridge!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Aug 19, 7:01 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 39,493 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. I've just tucked myself into bed! Not particularly tired but kind of 'done ' today and tomorrow is another day!

An early morning dog vomit at 5am ...sigh! A sock!

Landscape gardener chap came at 7.30am ( just after I'd hung my second load of washing out) to discuss moving forward with the slab scenario...can't remember if I've said. Newly laid slabs developed horrendous effervescence then turned green with algae and have started chipping off in bits. Builders merchant said 'wait and see' 'don't touch them' ' don't attempt to clean' slab supplier rep came out and was an arrogant plonker ( just my opinion) said I got no light in my garden ...er, hello sun! It was the fault of the bushes at side of main road ( we are corner plot) they have been there for 20 years and we've never had green slabs or decking? Anyway his suggestion and the merchants was they gave me a free bottle of cleaner and I do it myself! Er, no! So not happy with their response and copied in gardener who came up this morning for a chat...he's on team me!

Had emailed builder last night...again! Messaged architect who messaged back to say he's on hols but back by Thursday and to give him a call. He's not happy with builder either. Outstanding work to be completed on extension. Extension had it's foundations dug a year ago. My huge window leaks and has done from start. Last night water was dripping through and I'd to leave a basin on window sill overnight. He was supposed to come last week. Has said he'll come tomorrow .

I've still to contact the bloody plumber too! I hate them all!

Anyway...went to Lidl forgot a coin for trolley so probably didn't buy as much as I may other wise have done! Got a few 20p RTC things.

Went to home bargains . Have never been in this shop and it was huuuge!

Picked up DD2 and dropped off for work then went to Tesco. Got amongst other things 6kg of strawberries very RTC. Chap said he was just going to throw them out!

Got 8 kilner type jars also very RTC. Have finally sorted out my deep baking drawer . Was all in a cardboard box before !

Went to allotment with dog. After such awful rain yesterday and much local flooding it was a beautiful day. Spent about an hour weeding and being badly stung by nettles. I was trying to remove them whilst they tried to remove me! Picked some courgettes & little onions ( just had with dinner) and a bunch of wild flowers. Sat for a bit and just watched and listened.

Home and made jam. Then jam overflowed in both pots ( I've obviously never made such a big quantity before! ) what a mess. It was blooming everywhere. Have made 7 large jars. I get the jam jars at work.

More washing out and back in.

Downstairs loo done!

Made pasta for tea with courgettes, onions, mushrooms, bacon, cream and Parmesan.

Poor doggy got stung by a horrid wasp. There were so many this afternoon. Maybe jam making was sending out nice waspy smells but please don't sting my best boy .

A bit more rain this evening .
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Aug 19, 8:52 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 39,921 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    mrpiano will leave a huge gap in my life, but let's start the next chapter
    1) had lovely long chat with dd1 on way to work. i have persuaded her to come up next weekend to play at a ceilidh
    2) fun and games at work. we were warned friday before last internet would go monday and tuesday. it didn't due to delays. then went today at 11:20 with no warning at all. so took my 11:30 meeting to deanery then 4 impromptu meetings. good stuff
    3) then walked home. no rain hooray. talked to dad. i love mobile phones!
    4) dd2 back from camp tired but happy
    5) took dogs for super walk. mrpiano's dog didn't like the bridge over the railway so had stopped.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Aug 19, 9:55 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 48,647 Thanks
    Frith
    MHags - when I made raspberry jam the other day, I used a saucepan instead of the jam kettle and had to do the "on the ring, off the ring, back on the ring, OFF THE RING!" dance.

Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) 6 days until bigger son comes home.

3) Hens OK.

4) Popped to town to get some shoes for my interview and a new pair of trousers for smaller son.

5) Went to my sister for tea and cake.

6) Salmon for tea.

7) Enjoyed watching Who do You Think You Are?
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Aug 19, 6:14 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 20,634 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. I didn't shout at anybody at work. Probably because the people causing all the problems hide away so I can't speak to them. Person in charge of my department was totally disinterested and told me to deal with it as it wasn't her problem. A colleague was running behind with her clinic and was asked if I could help her out. No as I was the only person fully booked.

2. Leaving work for the day. My mood did improve slightly.

3. DS1 has a good first day in his new job. Travel was ok and he thinks he will enjoy it more.

4. Text conversation with both done 're England rugby squad for rugby world cup.

5. A friend rang which helped cheer me up as she is so positive. She makes me smile.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Aug 19, 7:05 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 36,001 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Aw, Iím going to miss hearing about MrPiano too DD hugs x

Monday pleasures,

Going around the back of horsey town and being stopped by a string of racehorses returning from the gallops, as a horsewoman even I was worried about one that was jumping about precariously close to my car but thankfully no damage done!

Dropped three parcels off at PO and finally remembered to pick up a stop for my martingale.

Made a couple of loaves for the week, this time a mixture of white & malted flour.

Over to the yard and brought the beautiful grey one in, she had obviously been rolling so a good 30 min workout just getting her clean.

Heard some good news about a friendís health.

Meat free Monday so spinach & ricotta cannelloni, yum.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Aug 19, 9:48 AM
    • 13,450 Posts
    • 184,053 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A morning at home on my own.

A clean and tidy house with all the immediate jobs done.

A lovely long soak in the bath after the housework.

Sunshine and a dry morning.

I have again reached that wonderful state of being 'beanless' oh happiness!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 13th Aug 19, 10:46 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    juliettet
    A frustrating day Mhags. Put tea tree oil on Haggis's neck to ward off wasps, worked on our black lab.

My 5

Boss away for 2 days and lots of little annoying jobs done.

2 loads of washing on the line.

Meeting in Glasgow today. Somewhere nice for tea I think.

Meeting a new puppy that people across the road have rescued, I might steal him!

At last someone turned up for a small repair to outside guttering. Checked all joints and only charged me a small fee. No doubt the weather will test it soon.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 36,178 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Then came the Serpent Ö
    Was in the gym last nite and I did get weighed as well. Up to nows, BoP has lost Miss Adams in weight, but there is next weak to come, so! As BoP is already beach ready, we cannots has his belly button burst inn open can we?

Had grilled mushroom topped with cheese and served with roasted peppers last evening, and cocoa.
    One flat iron Mushroom, grilled in hot grill. Cook for six minutes. Grate some mature cheese, not lo fat that is a myth, chop up come peppers, onion and some tomato.
    Fry pepper and onion in pan.
    Put cheese and toms on flat mushroom and grill for two to three more mintes.
    Serve.
    Not available in Jimmy the Cookís book?

Then watched some Telly. Kojak! Recipe for BoP Grilled Mushroom.

Raffles saw his new biscuits go into his box, and was a bit grumpy as to why he did no gets any. This morning he tried to get on window sill and missed, such an effort. Thinks he may be getting old. He is working on the yellow thing

Day 6. Call was good and things now inn plaice.

Nows whats inn BoPís Lunch Box today?
    Big Cheese, toms, cucumber, peppers and onions. Then berries of rasp, blue and strawbs.
    He had mushrooms, best back and poached egg for brekfest.
    Tea is brewed chilli from Sundae.
    Proper foods and good for you!
    PM2DD
    Tinpot tonight, who cares?
    Theres, thatís bees your BoP news today.
    Donít eat the fruit on the forbidden tree.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Aug 19, 6:56 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 39,493 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello.

Well my day was okay.

Work 9-12. My shift was fine. Then DD2 worked in afternoon and hers wasn't okay so she moaned about it all when she came in ...on and on! I think there's been a shift in staff dynamics since she's been off with her sore hips . Anyway...I walked to and from work and then had to drive later and pick her up .

Builder came. Done what needed in doing in 40 minutes! Like really? I've waited 10 months for this? Anyway its hopefully done. Hopefully window is sufficiently sealed. Won't know till we have heavy rain.

Had lasagne for tea and roasted veg( an RTC 20p tray from lidl) but I chucked some beetroots and little potatoes from my allotment.

Watched something on Netflix this afternoon.

Hoovered and tidied and pottered for a bit.

Met a friend who's just had a grandson about same time as great nephew was born. So she had a tub of baby milk powder that he's no longer on and handed it in for GN . It only had a couple of scoops out of it.

A couple of showers but dry now and put a washing out late for a bit of a blow.

Will try the tea tree oil on Haggis. Dog is now terrified.

DD will you look for another lodger? Hope Mr Piano has a fabulous experience ! Will you go visit?
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 13th Aug 19, 7:30 PM
    • 9,383 Posts
    • 60,714 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures today.

More ripe blackberries collected whilst out with the dog.

A sunny day with none of that wet stuff.

Adding a few blackberries to my Rumtopf and sampling a little of the juice - oh my giddy aunt, it's luvverly! No room for anything else in the jar so I'll just leave it to fester for the next four months. It will be dynamite.

More decluttering done, attic is empty but I am now getting shot of the stuff that came out of it. Slowly, slowly.....

Lovely photo of me and OH in our posh gear on a cruise 14 years ago - now on display in the living room.

Cheese omelette and chips for dinner tonight.

Sweet, sticky, gooey flapjack with cherries in, made earlier today. Son had two big pieces.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Aug 19, 9:09 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 39,921 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    LaineyT I'm sure he will still play a large part in my life. Apart from anything else i still have his piano! (being collected in a couple of weeks)
    MHags I will have a friend finishing a PhD staying a couple of nights a week
    BOP tin pot - who cares? we's cares!
    1) MrPiano finally made it to Alabama. 1 cancelled plane, 1 late plane, 1 plane not able to find a place to park, and final leg sitting next to someone letting off. charming!
    2) colleague brought in 2 boxes of fisher and donaldson fudge doughnuts. best in the world! I had half a one :P
    3) then catch-up with an ex colleague. we ended up going for supper. l regaled her with tales of the man who didn't want coffee
    4) then dd2 walked the boys down to meet me
    5) and i happened on the results through a pub window
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 13-08-2019 at 9:11 PM.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Aug 19, 9:20 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 23,358 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Not a pleasure, just a share, our little old lady ferret passed away in DHís arms yesterday. We rescued her with her whole family at 3 days old, her mum having not been fed for 5 days so they all came here, she became a daddyís gal who stuck her tongue out at me and nibbled me when she thought he wasnít looking. Itís no easier even when we knew it was coming, and I still say there is something wrong with the breeding as they should be living healthy longer. I can honestly say we did the absolute best we could for her.

We are feeling overwhelmingly sad today and her cage mates are also struggling, even more of a must for pleasures.

1 Planned pasta bake using up leftovers and hopefully making comfort food.
    2 The blackberries within reach with the help of a ladder at the end of the garden.
    3 Decluttering and making way for where the boiler is moving to in our bedroom later this week. We are making progress with decluttering but we still have a room of doom thatís overwhelming, it will be tackled at the end of September after all the building works.
    4 The new mini shed arrived this morning, dh has already built it, and added in shelving.
    5 Another 3 boxes of kitchen stuff packed away in the other shed, I also batch cooked chilli.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Aug 19, 11:57 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 48,647 Thanks
    Frith
    Sorry to hear that, PK. We always had a ferret each growing up - they're such characters.

Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Washing done and dried on line (apart from a quick finish off in the dryer). Bed changed.

3) Hens OK.

4) Did final preserve for the village show! Just grabbed whatever I had frozen (blackberries, redcurrants etc) for the fruit jelly category.

5) Popped down to the charity shop and a friend/former colleague was working there today. We worked together years ago but then met up again doing voting jobs. We had a horrible election together 3-4 years back (awful presiding officer who didn't do anything all day) and my friend has refused to do any election work since!

6) Took smaller son and friend to watch their football team play.

7) I went geocaching in a nature reserve then a park in town. I could hear the cheering a mile away when they scored a goal! Found only 2 geocaches.

8) Took the boys to McDonalds.

Haven't the energy to go out and watch the Perseids!
    Last edited by Frith; 14-08-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Aug 19, 6:03 AM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 20,634 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Work was better but at a satellite site. Always more relaxed. As usual no reply to email about a complaint I had to deal with as wrong information was given initially.

2. A colleague have me a lift so I didn't have to wait nearly an hour for my bus. As it's school holidays he was happy to do it as traffic is lighter. In term time the journey takes twice as long.

3. Spent some time in the garden weeding. Picked more runner beans.

4. Easy tea a Jamie's take 5 recipe.

5. DS1 being very tslkative. Seems happier with new job still.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Aug 19, 6:58 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 36,001 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to hear about your little lady PK

Tuesday pleasures,

A very busy, but productive day, snap on the bed change Frith and 3 loads dried on the line.

Picked a lot of my fresh herbs and dried them off in the oven, thyme, rosemary and have tried parsley but not sure it will keep as well.

Sorted round in my cupboards and made a list of required stock items, I need to find a large sealable box to put in under stairs cupboard for storing bread flour & yeast.

On my hands and knees removing the grass that grows through the cracks in our garden path, no bending as my back will ache and need a cushion for my knee, oh the joys!

Utd won a penalty shootout

A very clear night thanks to large moon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,009Posts Today

6,959Users online

Martin's Twitter