Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 205Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 4:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 69
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Aug 19, 10:40 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Tafrock
    The only way of working out your true rates is to look at your monthly bill. I always used to deduct one month's standing charge at cost price ie not discounted. It's irrelevant whatever standing charge is discounted or not really so I took it off at undiscounted price. I then divided the remaining sum by my kWh usage. To me that's what you pay per unit.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 1st Aug 19, 2:40 PM
    • 40,441 Posts
    • 24,446 Thanks
    Quentin
    But from what gets reported different customers pay different amounts due to getting differing discounts on packs??

How can comparison sites know what power shop will charge a particular customer??
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 1st Aug 19, 3:54 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Boohoo
    The only way of working out your true rates is to look at your monthly bill. I always used to deduct one month's standing charge at cost price ie not discounted. It's irrelevant whatever standing charge is discounted or not really so I took it off at undiscounted price. I then divided the remaining sum by my kWh usage. To me that's what you pay per unit.
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    There was a post on this thread from last year that answered a question about this issue and the answer was to look at the bill for what ever month it is and there should be a price p/kwh showing. It is like the old TCR that was used a few years back.

Go to accounts, transactions, bill info, click on electricity and for what month it will show average unit price for that month.

Mine last month was 15.07 p/kwh after packs deducted.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 1st Aug 19, 4:22 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Comparison sites and Powershop
    Comparison Sites can't tell you what Powershop will charge you or even what you now pay. They can only tell you Baseline and Top Shopper rates not what YOU ACTUALLY PAY. I agree with Boohoo on how to find the monthly charge. Then simply add the total kws used for the last 12 months and the total amount paid and compare those figures with a Comparison Site.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Aug 19, 5:31 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What I used to do
    Building on what tclgratham has posted, what I used to do was calculate what discount I had achieved in the previous billing period (I've explained how to do this in previous posts) then apply that discount to the annual bill calculated using my Baseline Tariff and my typical annual consumption.

I then used that discounted annual amount to compare what my annual usage cost would be assuming I achieved that monthly discount all year round.

So, each month I would have a different figure that was basically 'this is what my annual bill would be if I achieved the previous month's discount all year round'

That tells me when I see estimated annual bills on a comparison site if there are better deals out there compared to what I'm achieving right now.

Now of course it is the case that summer discounts are not as good as winter discounts but the concerm for me was that the big discounts to be had in the few winter months have to be shared out over all the months to get/achieve the overall discount.

I didn't like the idea of putting up with poor summer discounts in the hope that bigger winter discounts later would compensate for that situation.

From the pawltry winter Future Pack discounts and amounts that are being posted, I made the right decision to leave.

I did ponder the possibility of coming back for the winter months, but with the kind of poor discounts and low amount of Future Pack credit available, I don't think I'll be returning just yet.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Aug 19, 5:41 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes you can use powershops way of representing kWh but then to compare it to other companies rates you would have to convert their kWh to a similar representation

Comparison sites list kWh and standing charge separately. So to convert to the rates powershop show on your monthly bill you would have to take a rivals kWh. Multiply it by your monthly usage. Add on one month's standing charge and divide by your monthly usage

I find it easier to remove the standing charge from the equation by deducting it from your monthly bill and then dividing by kWh used. That gives a rate per kWh that you can compare to other companies

The easiest way of course is to use a comparison site with your actual annual usage

That will also give you your monthly costs. If you compare it to what you are paying with powershop per month you will see whether powershop is dearer or not

In my experience powershop is not competitive anymore. That saddens me but in Midlands region for my usage they can't compete
    • Equites
    • By Equites 1st Aug 19, 9:21 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Equites
    It's as if they don't want to be competitive
    This was the offering for me this month (2nd year with Powershop, Electric only).
    Just one pack available for each option in the list below.

Little Extra Pack - 41% off - 3 days worth energy
    Little Extra Pack - 21.5% off - 3 days worth energy
    Simple Saver - 19.4% off - 3 days worth energy
    Jumbo - 8.2% off - 6 days worth energy

The January Future pack has a 22% discount for the equivalent of 9 days energy - have the option to buy two of these.

Not inspiring to be honest. Moving house in the next few months and it looks like it will be onto a new supplier as Powershop are getting more and more uncompetitive.
    Struggling to understand why they are going this way - to the average punter looking around for a new deal their offering looks quite complicated to operate so to entice people they really need to be very price competitive.
    Instead, they are offering a complicated product that is more expensive than suppliers with simpler and less time intensive offerings. Not the way to win in a energy market like this.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Aug 19, 10:30 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Struggling to understand why they are going this way - to the average punter looking around for a new deal their offering looks quite complicated to operate so to entice people they really need to be very price competitive.
    Instead, they are offering a complicated product that is more expensive than suppliers with simpler and less time intensive offerings. Not the way to win in a energy market like this.
    Originally posted by Equites
    I absolutely agree with the above points. Also, given most PS customers are quite energy savvy, I would think the moment they spot/calculate they are no longer getting a good deal, they'll be off.

My one concern is that given the nature of the PS offering, it's not that easy to calculate if your current situation is competitive; hence why I devised my own method to check.

I keep doing price comparisons and if PS do become competitive again, I would return, but anyone who is into their second or greater year needs to do some calculations.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 7th Aug 19, 11:58 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Good News?
    The Price Cap will be reduced by about 6% on October 1st. Anyone on the recent version of Baseline should therefore see a similar reduction in their tariff. That may be why future pack discounts have been disappointing lately.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 8th Aug 19, 7:14 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Boohoo
    I have just got my electric statement for 06/07 to 05/08 and it was 40.65 after powerpacks for 256 kwh which eqates to 15.82 per unit which is the highest i have paid for this year.

Last July/August was 32.83 for 258 kwh and worked out at 12.72 per unit.

I have bought powerpacks at about 20% or higher for the later months and it says i am paid upto the end of June next year but at 15 per unit it is time to look around.

I don't know if the price cap will make any difference to the discounted powerpack going forward.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 8th Aug 19, 2:01 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Boohoo
    I expect Ps will honour the discounted packs you've bought. However the Baseline Tariff that it's discounted from may well be 6% lower as you're probably on the new Price Cap linked Baseline Tariff that must be reduced by October. If so the Net Price you pay will also fall. You can always ask PS customer services to be sure.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 9th Aug 19, 11:33 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Fringe Fun Special Pack today Cost 7.56 Worth 9.35 at 19.1% discount
    • dait1945
    • By dait1945 12th Aug 19, 8:33 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dait1945
    Annual review
    I have deliberately refrained from making too many comments during my first year with Powershop. Now, having completed 12 months on this tariff, I can share these figures.

During the year I consumed 6,345.5 kWh of electricity (I don't have gas) 64.7% was on the 'off peak' tariff of 10.71 and the remainder on the 'peak' tariff of 19.46. (Top Shopper July 2018 Issue 1). The total paid was 964.18 but after discounts the net figure was 692.44, a saving of 271.74. I purchased all the PowerPacks on offer.

This compares to a total of 952.43 the previous year (2017/2018) with E.ON. So I saved 259.99.

Reviewing alternative suppliers there is little difference so I have decided to stick with Powershop for the timebeing. I am now on Top Shopper Electric 2019 v.2 Tariff.

Day Rate 22.06 comes down to 17.43 with discounts
    Night Rate 10.62 comes down to 8.39 with discounts
    Daily charge 21.96 comes down to 17.35

One of the big bonuses for me is the Powershop App for my iPhone. It is very easy to use. Now that it has 12 months of data it is going to be much easier to do comparisons with the previous year.

Although I have a smart meter, installed by my previous supplier E.ON, I still have to read my meter once a week and enter the data manually. Powershop assure me that they hope to have a compatible software for my existing smart meter up and running in the next few months.

Hope you find thee comments useful.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 12th Aug 19, 3:50 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Thanks Dait1945
    Your figures and comments were most helpful.
    • Equites
    • By Equites 13th Aug 19, 9:12 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Equites
    Lower Discount Fringe Special Pack
    Fringe Fun Special Pack today Cost 7.56 Worth 9.35 at 19.1% discount
    Originally posted by tlcgrantham
    I got a laughable 12% discount for my Fringe Fun Special Pack (equivalent to 5 days of electricity). Going by my records that is the worst discount I have ever been offered in a special pack since joining in June 2018.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 13th Aug 19, 9:24 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Is it time to go?
    Going by my records that is the worst discount I have ever been offered in a special pack since joining in June 2018.
    Originally posted by Equites
    Do you think it's time to look elsewhere or will you stay with them?
    • Equites
    • By Equites 13th Aug 19, 10:09 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Equites
    Staying in short term for convenience
    Do you think it's time to look elsewhere or will you stay with them?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    In short term will be staying as intending to move house in the next few months.
    Thereafter I will be going to whichever supplier is cheapest (as long as they have reasonably good reviews).
    That latter point is the key one, as at the moment Which? switch energy is telling me that there are 15 available plans cheaper than Powershop here in North Scotland, but all with energy minnows with less than glowing customer reviews.
    The cheapest currently is Northumbria Energy (by a considerable amount) but looking at the history behind that company I think I'll pass. Having endured a painful transition to the Co-op when GB Energy went bust, not in the mood to repeat that kind of hassle any time soon.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 13th Aug 19, 11:56 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Fortunately PS use the best discount packs first
    @Equites - I quite understand your position. At least if you're buying poor discount packs just in case you need them, you'll at least have the peace of mind to know those poor value packs won't get used unless there's no other credit on the account.

I was sad to leave in April this year but I commend PS for the speed with which they issued a refund for my unused and partially used Powerpacks.

As I've indicated previously, I would have no hesitation in returning to them if they become competitive again, as their methodology requires customers to get more involved with their energy consumption than more traditional suppliers.

I'm saddened by the fact that the Npower influence is probably behind the move to less competitive pricing we see nowadays - it's not an accident - it's a deliberate policy we see being played out.

Unfortunately there's no room for sentiment and loyalty if getting a good deal is important.

I would dearly have liked to have stayed and been loyal to them because PS were very good to me in my early days with them (compensating me for problems/delays caused by my previous supplier.)

But loyalty at a considerable cost to me? - unfortunately a bridge too far I'm afraid.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 15th Aug 19, 4:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    The Ashes Special Pack
    Cost 5.98 Worth 7.27 at 17.8% discount
    Npower have reduced their standard tariff but so far no movement on Baseline.
    • Equites
    • By Equites 15th Aug 19, 10:09 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Equites
    Again a lower discount offered
    Cost 5.98 Worth 7.27 at 17.8% discount
    Npower have reduced their standard tariff but so far no movement on Baseline.
    Originally posted by tlcgrantham
    Once again Powershop offering a lower discount, in my case 16% for the equivalent of approximately 3 days worth of electricity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,803Posts Today

6,181Users online

Martin's Twitter