Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 9:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 493
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Aug 19, 9:45 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 32,663 Thanks
    choille
    Everywhere you go people seem to have it - thick it is.

I will succumb no doubt.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Aug 19, 12:16 AM
    • 29,035 Posts
    • 101,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Oh I hope not, choille.

Sam has a cough. After his visit to Lydford Gorge today, it might develop. The Gorge is famous for its falls, and he had one, right here!

On Sunday, we visited two very different localish NGS gardens on two sides of the same lane. There, Sam was just building up to a ducking in the one with a Japanese theme that had 9 ponds:

I felt better after visiting the other garden, which was on the same terrible soil. I thought ours was stony, but theirs was just rocks and clay. The lady owner had similar tastes to us in plants, but far more resources to throw at her landscaping, so she'd covered a much larger area than we have. However, the field from which she'd carved the garden was fighting back. Weeds everywhere! One advantage of going more slowly is that the ground is cleared of most nasties by the time plants go in.
    'Goddamn Europeans! Take me back to beautiful England and the grey, damp filthiness of ages..'
    Polly J Harvey 'The Last Living Rose'
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 46,785 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya folks

been off the radar for a while as don't seemed to have a spare moment to myself !
    been VERY busy looking after friends granddaughter [who is a delight] with her riding lessons .
    she had her first canter last week and she just took it all in her stride [sorry bit of a pun there ! ] she is doing very well for a 9 year old .
    tomorrow we are plaiting up her ponies mane [purely to show him off ] as she is SO proud of him ... then off we go again to try and get the fat lump [pony] to JUMP !!!
    her dad is coming to watch her there tomorrow [previously banned] so fingers crossed she doesn't fall off in front of him !

the old cat [lily cat] who has been visiting me for a year now and lived in my summer house has died ... she was well loved / owned by my friend but decided it was more peacefull here for some weird reason .. she only lived 3 doors down ! gardener found her ...

I still have one field left to cut for hay ... we missed the slot between weather and am hopefull we get another !

we certainly haven't had the dreadfull weather others have .. lowest has been 15 degrees ... we had a few days of high winds and random rain that appears from a blue sky ???
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Aug 19, 7:52 AM
    • 29,035 Posts
    • 101,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I still have one field left to cut for hay ... we missed the slot between weather and am hopefull we get another !
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Maybe.... in the magical New Forest microclimate, but you'd not get it here, I fear. Feels like autumn!

DD1 & Co went off wild camping on the coast two days ago: tarpaulin, compost toilet and natural spring shower.

Oddly, they are returning here tonight!
    'Goddamn Europeans! Take me back to beautiful England and the grey, damp filthiness of ages..'
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th Aug 19, 8:50 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 46,785 Thanks
    alfie 1
    RAIN RAIN WIND RAIN .... OH AND MORE RAIN !

jeese , no let up ALL day !

think that the hopes of another hay cut are dimming daily ....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 29,035 Posts
    • 101,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Your forecast looks fine for the week ahead, alfie. Mind you, that's only the BBC version.....

Despite the persistence, we've not really had a huge quantity of rain here, measured by the facts that I shopped in shirtsleeves this morning and our stream still isn't running.

Yesterday was decent, with a trip to the seaside with Sam and his folks. His Mum is still the same; wouldn't stop prawning until the waves were breaking over her in the last rock pool!

Our holidaymakers have gone home now and it's eerily quiet.....
    • choille
    • By choille 16th Aug 19, 11:39 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 32,663 Thanks
    choille
    Very heavy cloudbursts & gusty then sunny. Loads of water everywhere - quite surprising how much really.

Swallows gone & house martins which is early but they arrived early. Loads of dragonflies zzzzzzedding around - lovely to see them in good numbers again.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Aug 19, 8:02 AM
    • 29,035 Posts
    • 101,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Crikey, you lose the swallows and martins early. Ours have finished family-making, so congregate to chat on the wires at times, but hopefully they won't go and take the feeling of summertime with them for a few weeks yet.

The rain's stopped, and with guests gone, so have our excuses for not working. Back to the grind!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 17th Aug 19, 7:20 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 46,785 Thanks
    alfie 1
    sshhhhh suns out today ....

got a load of rubbish stacked in garden corners today OUT , in trailer, in skip ... amazing what I thought I would use one day !!
    going to surge on again tomorrow so I don't look SO like the clampits live here !

still have the summer house roof to sort or will regret it by next spring !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

898Posts Today

6,996Users online

Martin's Twitter