Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 21st Jul 19, 1:14 PM
    • 383Posts
    • 233Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory.
    • 21st Jul 19, 1:14 PM
    Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory. 21st Jul 19 at 1:14 PM
    My bank (Santander) uses customer's mobiles as part of its security measures. I once questioned this and was told that if I didn't then I would get a reduced banking service. I bought a phone and they did not/do not contribute.

Now as part of their proposed security upgrade they say this ...

Will I be able to continue using Online Banking without a mobile?

We require you to have a mobile phone because for some transactions we need to text you a One Time Passcode for authorisation. This is highlighted in our terms and conditions.”

So people with poor coverage or no phone at all will now get no service at all with this bank since it will be required in order to sign in. The title should have said compulsory.
    Last edited by Squire Fulwood; 21-07-2019 at 1:16 PM. Reason: bad spleling.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
Page 2
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 23rd Jul 19, 7:12 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    Could they not have sent me an email? If I have online banking then I presumably have a computer. I can't think of why they insist I buy a mobile phone which I never had before they started this.

I did ask them what would happen if I didn't own a mobile and they said I would get a reduced banking service. Now that the phone will be used to log on then presumably I will get no online banking service at all without a mobile.

I don't readily accept the "you can change banks" argument since that won't change anything for the rest of the customers.

Something else I must admit to. For some time now I have been ticking on about web sites that do not function if you don't give them a mobile phone number. There are many work arounds. Who would have thought that putting in 13 0's would overcome the problem where the water company is concerned for example. It was only a matter of time before the freedom of choice to own or not to own a mobile was removed.

Santander has removed that freedom. Hence the title of the thread, which should have said that owning a mobile phone will soon be compulsory and now it is.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 23rd Jul 19, 7:20 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    You can receive (and even send) texts on landlines so you don't even need a mobile. eg see

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8510/~/all-about-bt-text
    Originally posted by zagfles
    This is Santander's plan

Santander - app, OTP to mobile
    https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/ways-to-bank/changes-to-how-you-log-on-to-online-banking

They could have included landline or email but they didn't.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 23rd Jul 19, 10:15 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    Could they not have sent me an email? If I have online banking then I presumably have a computer. I can't think of why they insist I buy a mobile phone which I never had before they started this.

I did ask them what would happen if I didn't own a mobile and they said I would get a reduced banking service. Now that the phone will be used to log on then presumably I will get no online banking service at all without a mobile.

I don't readily accept the "you can change banks" argument since that won't change anything for the rest of the customers.

Something else I must admit to. For some time now I have been ticking on about web sites that do not function if you don't give them a mobile phone number. There are many work arounds. Who would have thought that putting in 13 0's would overcome the problem where the water company is concerned for example. It was only a matter of time before the freedom of choice to own or not to own a mobile was removed.

Santander has removed that freedom. Hence the title of the thread, which should have said that owning a mobile phone will soon be compulsory and now it is.
    Originally posted by Squire Fulwood
    Except it isn't. I have Santander accounts and Santander don't have my mobile number.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 24th Jul 19, 6:30 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    Except it isn't. I have Santander accounts and Santander don't have my mobile number.
    Originally posted by Rainbowgirl84
    I could have got away with phoning them on a landline or going to nearest (?) branch in person. Soon I will not be able to log on when using online banking without a phone which I could do before.

I am intrigued to hear how you cope with this. If there is a way of using online banking without a phone I want to hear it since I keep the phone just for their use.
    Last edited by Squire Fulwood; 24-07-2019 at 6:34 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th Jul 19, 2:46 PM
    • 21,030 Posts
    • 15,265 Thanks
    molerat
    You don't need a mobile phone but will need a mobile device capable of running the Android or iOS app, i.e a tablet. You will only need a mobile phone to use the internet banking site. You can currently get away without a mobile if you don't want to make any new payments or set up new DDs but under the new system you will need a OTP to log on.
    Last edited by molerat; 28-07-2019 at 2:50 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • singhini
    • By singhini 28th Jul 19, 11:46 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    singhini
    OP - its for your added security.

I have relatives in Kenya and they only use mobile phone banking (its called M-Pesa), no laptops just mobile phones to send and receive payments aswell as all other aspects of banking i.e. loans, savings accounts, insurance (its because village folk cant always get into the towns to go to the branches to bank paper money or sort out loans etc... (PS - paper money is dying out since M-Pesa has reduced the need for paper money).

they love it - their shocked that we don't use the system in the UK (though I did point out to them that I am able to do similar transactions via my phone i.e. rather than use my credit card for contactless payments I use my phone instead - its safer as it needs my fingerprint. if I lost my credit card, some !!!!!! could walk around town spending upto 30 in pubs, restaurants, shops etc. clocking up 100's.

The mobile phone method of banking is also being rolled out across other African nations aswell as India and China as we speak.

Its the future.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 31st Jul 19, 7:42 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    OP - its for your added security.

I have relatives in Kenya and they only use mobile phone banking (its called M-Pesa), no laptops just mobile phones to send and receive payments aswell as all other aspects of banking i.e. loans, savings accounts, insurance (its because village folk cant always get into the towns to go to the branches to bank paper money or sort out loans etc... (PS - paper money is dying out since M-Pesa has reduced the need for paper money).

they love it - their shocked that we don't use the system in the UK (though I did point out to them that I am able to do similar transactions via my phone i.e. rather than use my credit card for contactless payments I use my phone instead - its safer as it needs my fingerprint. if I lost my credit card, some !!!!!! could walk around town spending upto 30 in pubs, restaurants, shops etc. clocking up 100's.

The mobile phone method of banking is also being rolled out across other African nations aswell as India and China as we speak.

Its the future.
    Originally posted by singhini
    I am pleased that banking is opening up for your relatives and for anyone anywhere but I would like to ask you a question.

How pleased would your relatives be if they were now told that their mobile banking would not work unless they owned a laptop/pc as well as a mobile phone and that they had to pay for it?

My online banking won't work unless I supply a mobile phone to receive OTP's when I already own a pc that receives emails.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 31st Jul 19, 7:46 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    You don't need a mobile phone but will need a mobile device capable of running the Android or iOS app, i.e a tablet. You will only need a mobile phone to use the internet banking site. You can currently get away without a mobile if you don't want to make any new payments or set up new DDs but under the new system you will need a OTP to log on.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thank you for clarifying the situation.

You say that if I don't make new payments or set up DD's then I don't need a phone but will need a mobile to log on.

What sort of a banking service is that? It is one that I call unfit for purpose.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 31st Jul 19, 1:15 PM
    • 21,030 Posts
    • 15,265 Thanks
    molerat
    Thank you for clarifying the situation.

You say that if I don't make new payments or set up DD's then I don't need a phone but will need a mobile to log on.

What sort of a banking service is that? It is one that I call unfit for purpose.
    That is the current situation but in future a mobile will be needed to get past the first step, as to whether or not you will need another OTP to make further transactions ........

Everything is headed in that direction, you now need a OTP to get a credit report from Creditwise.
    Last edited by molerat; 31-07-2019 at 1:18 PM.
    • singhini
    • By singhini 31st Jul 19, 9:58 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    singhini
    I am pleased that banking is opening up for your relatives and for anyone anywhere but I would like to ask you a question.

How pleased would your relatives be if they were now told that their mobile banking would not work unless they owned a laptop/pc as well as a mobile phone and that they had to pay for it?

My online banking won't work unless I supply a mobile phone to receive OTP's when I already own a pc that receives emails.
    I can't comment on that as I am not them (though I can confirm they do have laptops already).

Personally I would just go out and get the relevant equipment needed to increase my security.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 2nd Aug 19, 1:49 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    I can't comment on that as I am not them (though I can confirm they do have laptops already).

Personally I would just go out and get the relevant equipment needed to increase my security.
    Originally posted by singhini
    I was forced to do so or not have a functioning banking service. I feel that it is wrong for a bank to put me to expense for their own purposes.

Also, "just go out and get" might not be affordable for some people and others might not get signal coverage.

Earlier there was a suggestion to just change banks. How does that improve signal coverage for those that don't get it?
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 11th Aug 19, 8:21 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    brianposter
    You can receive (and even send) texts on landlines so you don't even need a mobile. eg see

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8510/~/all-about-bt-text
    Originally posted by zagfles
    This reads as if one simply supplies a BT landline number in place of a mobile number the OTP will be sent correctly. Is this the case ?
    • singhini
    • By singhini 11th Aug 19, 10:51 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    singhini
    I was forced to do so or not have a functioning banking service. I feel that it is wrong for a bank to put me to expense for their own purposes.

Also, "just go out and get" might not be affordable for some people and others might not get signal coverage.

Earlier there was a suggestion to just change banks. How does that improve signal coverage for those that don't get it?
    1 - You can still set up payments via telephone banking or alternatively go into a branch.

2 - If you don't have a carrier-signal to receive SMS, you can set up your phone to receive the SMS via a wifi signal (however if you have neither a carrier signal nor a wifi signal then I concede you would not be able to receive the SMS. However this must occur rarely and if it does, try doing your banking later in the day when you do have a signal).

3 - To avoid the cost of a mobile phone, I'm curious to know why didn't you use a recycling website (such as "freecycle") to get a free mobile (that way you wouldn't have to spend any money)?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Aug 19, 9:02 AM
    • 21,030 Posts
    • 15,265 Thanks
    molerat
    After reading another thread I would make a formal complaint to Santander and take it to the ombudsman if necessary.

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fca-approach-payment-services-electronic-money-2017.pdf

20.21 We encourage firms to consider the impact of strong customer authentication solutions on different groups of customers, in particular those with protected characteristics, as part of the design process. Additionally, it may be necessary for a PSP to provide different methods of authentication, to comply with their obligation to apply strong customer authentication in line with regulation 100 of the PSRs 2017. For example, not all payment service users will possess a mobile phone or smart phone and payments may be made in areas without mobile phone reception. PSPs must provide a viable means to strongly authenticate customers in these situations.
    • Squire Fulwood
    • By Squire Fulwood 13th Aug 19, 6:24 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Squire Fulwood
    After reading another thread I would make a formal complaint to Santander and take it to the ombudsman if necessary.

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fca-approach-payment-services-electronic-money-2017.pdf
    Originally posted by molerat
    This is very interesting, thank you very much.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 13th Aug 19, 6:49 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    I can’t believe that people are still banging on about this. You have no right to bank with Santander, they can choose not to service you, and can make a commercial decision to require that customers can receive a text message.

As above, this does not require a mobile phone.

The entitlement that some people feel to try to demand specific free services be provided in line with their own preferences is quite strange.

Yes, luddites will slowly get left behind. It’s happening to you now, and there is nothing wrong with this.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 14th Aug 19, 5:29 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Korkyb
    I personally am concerned about the new fangled machinery that they are rumoured to be putting into my workplace.

It could mean my livelihood and that of fellow mills workers could be at risk.

If they do insist on installing these automated beasts then we will have to come up with some method of protesting......??
    Last edited by Korkyb; 14-08-2019 at 5:30 AM. Reason: ...
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Aug 19, 11:51 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,116 Thanks
    badmemory
    I can get SMS messages (spoken) on my landline, perhaps a good thing as I may or may not have a mobile signal on any particular day. I don't live in the middle of nowhere either, so can't be the only town dweller with this problem!
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    • 21,030 Posts
    • 15,265 Thanks
    molerat
    I can’t believe that people are still banging on about this. You have no right to bank with Santander, they can choose not to service you, and can make a commercial decision to require that customers can receive a text message.

As above, this does not require a mobile phone.

The entitlement that some people feel to try to demand specific free services be provided in line with their own preferences is quite strange.

Yes, luddites will slowly get left behind. It’s happening to you now, and there is nothing wrong with this.
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    I can get SMS messages (spoken) on my landline, perhaps a good thing as I may or may not have a mobile signal on any particular day. I don't live in the middle of nowhere either, so can't be the only town dweller with this problem!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Nothing Luddite about it. All well and good that you can receive a text message on a land line, the problem here is that Santander have stated they will not send a text to a land line number.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 14th Aug 19, 7:52 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    I’ve just got in from a terrible trip home. Wailing Street has been paved over, and the bloody police told me that I can’t ride my horse along it any more.

I asked how I am supposed to get home, and was told I’ll have to buy a bicycle, with lights, if I want to use it in future.

What right does anyone have to put me to this expense when I’ve been perfectly happy on my horse for so many years?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,134Posts Today

6,849Users online

Martin's Twitter