Battlefield 1

Is anyone playing the Open-Beta at the moment?

I've stuck about 3 hours in so far, and my initial impression is that it's fun (albeit relatively shallow gameplay) with outstanding visuals and sound.

The map - Sinai Desert - is being slated, but it's a good showcase of the visuals/mechanics of the game.
DMP:

Starting Total: £10,254.47 _pale_
/
Remaining: £3,386.94 :dance:

Comments

• KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2016 at 7:37AM
    I'm glad it's Battlefield that have taken the charge to bring a World War One FPS to the fore. Call of Duty would have ruined it.

Also glad to see they are not focusing on just the cliche trench warfare. Expect to see a Jutland style naval battle and as you've hinted a battle on the Sinai peninsula. I hope Russia and Austria Hungary campaigns are playable.

If they pull it off there could be a slew of WW1 fps games and a chance to realy electrify the market, seeing as WW2 and modern/future warfare have been done to death.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KingS6 wrote: »
    I'm glad it's Battlefield that have taken the charge to bring a World War One FPS to the fore. Call of Duty would have ruined it.

Also glad to see they not are not focusing on just the cliche trench warfare. Expect to see a Jutland style naval battle and as you've hinted a battle on the Sinai peninsula. I hope Russia and Austria Hungary campaigns are playable.

If they pull it off there could be a slew of WW1 fps games and a chance to realy electrify the market, seeing as WW2 and modern/future warfare have been done to death.

There's meant to be Verdun coming to the Xbox One but it's been delayed.

Other than the SinaI and European theatres of war I'm not sure what other area will be playable.
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    There's meant to be Verdun coming to the Xbox One but it's been delayed.

Other than the SinaI and European theatres of war I'm not sure what other area will be playable.

Perhaps something from the Far East theatre such as Japan laying siege to one of Germany's colonies in China. Or South African forces taking part in the seizure of Sudwestafrika.

I've just looked at the trailer for Verdun it looks decent and gets a positive review on Steam.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KingS6 wrote: »
    Perhaps something from the Far East theatre such as Japan laying siege to one of Germany's colonies in China. Or South African forces taking part in the seizure of Sudwestafrika.

I've just looked at the trailer for Verdun it looks decent and gets a positive review on Steam.

Yes I agree, covering them theatres of war would be different, as far as I know they haven't been covered in games.

Verdun was a PC gamer some how the port will be I don't know, hoping it turns out to be really good. I've been waiting for a WW1/2 game since the days of COD WaW/Modern Warfare. Not a fan of the whole jet packs and futuristic in the latest versions of COD.
  • Loving it so far, yes its just one map, with a set time, and limited weapons/etc but the more I play it the more depth it seems to have.. after 4 or 5 hours play I discovered that I could unlock a whole bevy of tanks.. also I never touch planes in BF games, but I started flying the bomber and had a blast

So far so good
  • For those who don't know, you can log into:

www.battlefield.com/career

Go to 'Loadout' and buy additional weapons using warbonds earned in game.
    DMP:

Starting Total: £10,254.47 _pale_
    /
    Remaining: £3,386.94 :dance:
  • I've put a few hours into it, it's quite fun. I've only played a tiny bit of Battlefield before so it's a big learning curve. I can control my player just fine and change loadouts but I don't know how to "spot" someone and I don't know why I can't hear anyone else, maybe they have no mics on? That's pretty rare though isn't it to have no one on mic?

God the vehicle controls are HORRIBLE! I'm used to them now but... yeah they're pretty "different" alright!

It's nice to have a WWI shooter, but tbh I think it'd be nice to have a current gen "current" shooter. More COD's style that Battlefield really due to how modern warfare is but I'd like to play that.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • yes it's true !! this game is fun !! try it
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've put a few hours into it, it's quite fun. I've only played a tiny bit of Battlefield before so it's a big learning curve. I can control my player just fine and change loadouts but I don't know how to "spot" someone and I don't know why I can't hear anyone else, maybe they have no mics on? That's pretty rare though isn't it to have no one on mic?

God the vehicle controls are HORRIBLE! I'm used to them now but... yeah they're pretty "different" alright!

It's nice to have a WWI shooter, but tbh I think it'd be nice to have a current gen "current" shooter. More COD's style that Battlefield really due to how modern warfare is but I'd like to play that.
    You spot by pressing RB over the player. You can also hold RB for in game commands for people who aren't talking! Blame CoD, that killed in game chat :rotfl:

I've played all the BF's. On BF1 i'm disappointed at what they've done to rush! The tanks are way too OP and sniping is far too easy. I get the feeling they've tamed BF for CoD players, but conquest is really good :D i'll buy it but i never have the time to be a hardcore player so i just play them for casual fun.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Parties killed in game chat, for lone wolves anyway.

I've always struggled with Battlefield games. The lure of WW1 has drawn me in, but having played it, it's Battlefield all over, doesn't seem much different to me really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure