PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• K80_Black wrote: »
    Stopped off in my local Cancer Research and got a brilliant evening dress for £2! After looking online, they go for over £100 new. Now I just need some sort of formal event to show it off.

A virtual charity shop Christmas fashion show? I've already shown my stripey blazer for [STRIKE]admiration[/STRIKE] ridicule
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    candygirl wrote: »
    I've had this a few times too, with really good quality stuff.A thank you isn't too much to expect, is it? :mad:

No, it's not too much to expect, imho.
    My local Hospice shop is always very appreciative of my donations.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've always found donations to be well received but I know a couple of people who volunteer at CS's and they've both said that recently they've been unable to take any more donations because they have that much stuff in their back rooms it's becoming a hazard. We really are at saturation point with clothes and people just don't stop buying, imo we should be paying much more for new clothes so that we value them, it takes a phenomenal amount of water to produce jeans for instance (cotton is a thirsty plant) whether they cost £200 or £6 from Primark.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I've always found donations to be well received but I know a couple of people who volunteer at CS's and they've both said that recently they've been unable to take any more donations because they have that much stuff in their back rooms it's becoming a hazard. We really are at saturation point with clothes and people just don't stop buying, imo we should be paying much more for new clothes so that we value them, it takes a phenomenal amount of water to produce jeans for instance (cotton is a thirsty plant) whether they cost £200 or £6 from Primark.

I think there's a big difference between shops gracefully declining donations because they have too much stuff and accepting donations with no manners whatsoever.

I'd have no problem with the first scenario but big problems with the second.
    It's just plain rude.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    candygirl wrote: »
    I've had this a few times too, with really good quality stuff.A thank you isn't too much to expect, is it? :mad:
    The problem is that because volunteers give their own time, many think that's good enough. I'd imagine it would be quite hard to manage volunteers that feel their mere presence is enough generosity. Attitude is everything.
    K80_Black wrote: »
    Stopped off in my local Cancer Research and got a brilliant evening dress for £2! After looking online, they go for over £100 new. Now I just need some sort of formal event to show it off.
    So agree to host the Family Christmas gathering?
    Invite the neighbours for Advent drinks & nibbles?
    Because there's nothing like being stuck in the kitchen in your best party dress! :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The problem is that because volunteers give their own time, many think that's good enough. I'd imagine it would be quite hard to manage volunteers that feel their mere presence is enough generosity. Attitude is everything.
    Then the training - and there must be some - is inadequate.
    I really wouldn't need to be told that I should say 'thanks' when someone drops off a donation but managers should have that covered for volunteers who need to be told.
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    White Stuff skinny jeans, £2 from Air Ambulance shop. Fit perfectly.
    I no longer donate to the YMCA shop as the woman behind the desk just carries on talking on her mobile phone and barely looks up and grunts "just leave it there!"
  • Pollycat
    lily117 wrote: »
    White Stuff skinny jeans, £2 from Air Ambulance shop. Fit perfectly.
    I no longer donate to the YMCA shop as the woman behind the desk just carries on talking on her mobile phone and barely looks up and grunts "just leave it there!"

Then contact YMCA and tell them that their volunteers are not appreciative of donations.
    I think the day of charity shops being run by elderly ladies is long gone.
    Most volunteers are looking to get something on their CVs.
    And if they can't be civil to people helping the charity they've chosen to help, they really should be 'outed'.
    My opinion - nobody needs to agree.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Then contact YMCA and tell them that their volunteers are not appreciative of donations.
    I think the day of charity shops being run by elderly ladies is long gone.
    Most volunteers are looking to get something on their CVs.
    And if they can't be civil to people helping the charity they've chosen to help, they really should be 'outed'.
    My opinion - nobody needs to agree.
    I absolutely agree Pollycat: Saw a
    different person in the shop today and she was so apologetic when I told her. She said she was going to report him because she'd noticed his surly manner before.
    We shall see.......
    Normal people worry me.
  • I think people are under the impression that we go through intensive training to be a volunteer which isn't the case. Yes health and safety, fire and how to lift the heavy bin bags of clothes but customer service no. A lot of the time it is took as read mainly treat other people as you would wish to be treated yourself. Unfortunately in our town volunteers are in short supply or should I say the right ones. We rarely take from the job centre as they don't want to stay. (who wants to go through bin bags of dirty clothing and when I say dirty I mean dirty underpants socks that stink but we have to check!) (yes I do and love the job but I am strange) people come in with the attitude of maybe do an hour and then come back two weeks later and do another hour. In our shop we have volunteers who are autistic or who have mental health problems to help them in society but these do not serve on the till or in the shop. I know that we are not the only ones in the area desperate for volunteers as nearly all have signs in shop windows asking for help. It is hard in this day and age to find the right people but you would think would want to give back but this isn't the case.
    So come all those who adore shopping in charity shops can you spare an hour a week. You might get to spot a bargain before anyone else......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure