PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Comments

• sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wow D&DD - you are inspiring. I for ages have been saying i want ot grow my own veg as me and bf normally end up struggling financially a couple of times a year either through sickness etc so you are spurring me on to wanting to try growing my own veg as a safety back up type plan. I also am well stocked - not as good as you but pretty well in my household there is only me, oh, DS aged 3, 1 dog and 3 terrapins - so needless to say our food is pretty minimal compared to others (we spend about £80 - £100 a month), Needless to say i will be reading your thread with interest and i think i will definately be making more homemade bread form now on - although i have to do it the good old fashioned way as i am not lucky enough to have a bread maker yet! but i dont mind a nice long day of baking.I will be reading with interest keep up the good work
    Also maybe you should jsut take a photo of your stock cupboards to show us what you have for some meal ideas
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Also maybe you should jsut take a photo of your stock cupboards to show us what you have for some meal ideas

Thanks Sammy,I was thinking last night I should really add some pics so you can all see where all the food from Tescos lives :rotfl:

I'll get on to it today and get some of the garden while I'm at it :D (after I've weeded :eek: )
    stores002.jpg

Here's one to be getting on with...
  • Ooh I might join you next week in asking for suggestions for wierdy and wonderful things I find in my cupboard. I have 60quid to get me to the 24th (just me officially but I might have to feed my BF too when he comes over, on the other hand there is an outside possibility he will feed me sometimes too.
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    Keep us updated - sounds like you're doing great.
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • That pic looks like my cupboards
    I dread to think what you could find in there
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • sammy_kaye18
    D&DD - i owuld lov emy stock cupboard ot look like that but unfortunately i am stuck with jsut my kitchen cupboards so theres no way they can ever look like that unless i start stock piling on top of th eoriginal cupboards- stupid thing is i do actualyl have a pantry btu it has been taken over by bf as his junk room - ie bike parts etc crammed in it so i am left with my already tiny kitchen
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    D&DD - i owuld lov emy stock cupboard ot look like that but unfortunately i am stuck with jsut my kitchen cupboards so theres no way they can ever look like that unless i start stock piling on top of th eoriginal cupboards

Same here, living in a flat so no understairs cupboards etc - feel very jealous of everyone bulk buying :rolleyes:
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • sammy_kaye18
    Newlywed - Im the same im in a ground floor flat, i have a kitchen which i can barely turn round in let alone store much in and i have in the whole kitchen 5 cupboards on the bottom (2 of which are very wet becasue of sink breaking) and 4 cupboards on top if you get me. 2 on top hold my pasta, flour, tins, etc etc and then the other 2 hold my plates, bowls, etc. The two under the sink are useless except for household stuff, one has damp in it so has the turtle cleaning stuff in it and junk stuff in boxes. One is my cupboard for my tupperware, baking paper, slow cooker, george foreman etc and the other one houses some of my baking stuff and the dog treats etc. So on top of my cupboards is taken by all my cereals adn i have tow of those collapsable crate things piled in a gap i have but they are full to breaking point. and even they have to be stacked next to a huge bag of dog food and the washign powder as i have no where to put anything. I would love to be able to buy in bulk too and have under stair storage.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That is funny ! love your pic !

We are a family of 5 too and I am doing a similar thing at the moment - I am a food hoarder too so have plenty in freezer and cupboards to feed the street for weeks !!!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Day 2 has been rather busy :D I have had a good go in the garden and discovered some turnips and radishes along with some spring onions I forgot we had!I have checked through my seeds and found some varieties which I'm going to try now..
    Turnip Ruben..says to plant til Sept but I'll give them a whirl..
    Lettuce Arctic King.. This grows well for us here in the south overwinters very well for harvesting around March..
    Lettuce Valdor as above
    Radish rainbow mix..says on the pack sow til Oct so will try these too
    Spinach Beet..this seems to grow really well here,not tried sowing it this late before but will give it a whirl!
    stores014.jpg

stores011.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of our garden today showing some of the stuff we have still growing and some of our mess :rotfl:

Breakfast today was Toast,Wheatabix and GF Choccie stars finished off with the obligitory cup of tea..

Lunch was a pack up for the boys mine and OH was ham sandwiches and a slice of banana loaf (Hugh Fearnley doodahs..lovely!)

Dinner was Sausage toad and mash with peas and carrots from the garden.

Might have to get some milk tomorrow I have longlife in 'the store' but prefer fresh for the boys and DS3 has soya milk..

Total spend so far on Day 2 of our challenge is £0.00p :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport