PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Options
    Please can you experts answer a couple of questions? :)

1. Can you tell me what a 'rubber chicken' is?

2. Can you suggest a carrot cake recipe that I can make in a usual sized loaf tin (so that I get the quantities right!)?

3. I've got loads of carrots in the fridge which are going to need using or are going to go to waste. What can I do with them? (carrot cake being the one thing that sprang to mind!) Can I chop them and freeze them in sticks/slices for meals? Then do I just throw them into boiling water and wait for them to be as soft as I like?

Sorry for appearing so clueless! My NY resolution is to get better in the kitchen :o Thanks!
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    elle_gee wrote: »
    Please can you experts answer a couple of questions? :)

1. Can you tell me what a 'rubber chicken' is?

2. Can you suggest a carrot cake recipe that I can make in a usual sized loaf tin (so that I get the quantities right!)?

3. I've got loads of carrots in the fridge which are going to need using or are going to go to waste. What can I do with them? (carrot cake being the one thing that sprang to mind!) Can I chop them and freeze them in sticks/slices for meals? Then do I just throw them into boiling water and wait for them to be as soft as I like?

Sorry for appearing so clueless! My NY resolution is to get better in the kitchen :o Thanks!

Hi elle_gee! A "rubber chicken" refers to the way we _s t r e t c h_ it out. Day one, roast, day two, sarnies, pie or curry etc, day three, boil up the carcass and make soup!

If you search the thread I think there is a carrot cake recipe, if you can't find it give me a nudge and I will find a link for you.

You can freeze carrots - you need to blanch them first, (drop into boiling water for a few mins,) then drain and run under the cold tap, before freezing.

Freeze them in portion sizes as they "weld" themselves together once frozen!
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You can peel and chop, some people par boil them, others chuck them in as is. You could grate them up ready for cake and then freeze that so that you have the mixture ready for when you are. The carrot cake recipe that I used was from the bero website. It doesn't go into a loaf tin it goes into a lasgne style dish and is quite shallow.
    A rubber chicken is one that is streeeetched to do a few meals. Roast, then stripped and curried, soup and sandwiches all spring to mind. You can make a nice chicken pie too.
    I'm pretty hopeless in the kitchen but DH and I have made a pact.
    I've told him that he needs to help me out with menu planning and getting stuff out of the freezer so that it's ready to be cooked the next day.
    I want to lose some weight at the moment because I have an ever expanding bum. I've put on 1/2 a stone and I can really feel it in my knees.
    We need to reduce portion sizes, meat portions and just eat more healthily overall.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »

natzini hope you survived Tesco, I didn't get that brave and went to the Coop & a small bakers instead.

Right, anyway, I came in here mainly to wish you all Happy New Year.

It wasn't *too* bad and managed to get some whipping cream and potatoes reduced. Seemed like half the town was in the car park, but not in Tescos-just using their 2 hours free parking for river walks and to look around the town.

I'm going to do some more cleaning, sorting and the likes, although it's very difficult with OH asleep-I can't hoover or make to much noise! It irritates me to hell, but I'd rather that irritate me than have an uppity OH! The dw needs emptying and refilling, I'll put the td on, do prep for dinner (bash the daylights out of a chicken breast, wrap round a sausage, put bacon on top and wrap in cling film and back in fridge), start on the window sil in the bathroom (you don't wanna know), fold and hang clothes-loads to do, not very motivated though! I'll have a drink and that'll motivate me, I'm fuelled by alcohol when I do my cleaning!!

Have a great evening whether you're relaxing at home like us, or out partying like a loon, or somewhere inbetween... I for one am hoping for a happier, healthier 2008!

Un sou est un sou
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    ravylesley wrote: »
    Well I have got my dehydrator brring away in the kitchen drying off some fruits just to see how they go.Thanks for the help Dee it was much appreciated,I still have no idea whatsoever what I did with the instructions:o

Went to Blackburn Market this morning and got absolutely loads of fruit for literally pennies and I'm in the middle of making raspberry sauce to freeze and I've got a big carrier bag full of Bramleys to turn into Apple Jelly later.I love apple jelly but as we dont have our own trees it can turn out to be a bit expensive.They did have some butternut squashes on the stall at 3 for £1 but I never got round to picking them up and I'm regretting it now:mad:

Oh well its New Years Eve and I'm planning to snuggle on the sofa be totally decadent and ring a takeaway and watch a movie.Hope you all have a good evening whether staying in or going out

Lesleyxx

hi Lesley...I bet I know which stall you got your bargains from...I love Blackburn market. I always come home with loads for the freezer...
    It's worth the 40 minute drive as our market here is carp.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    lil_me yes i do but not to hand. i'll post it up tomoz for u.

from memory it has onions in it, 500g lean beef mince, toamto ketchup , veg stock cube , worchester sauce , water, tin of bean's. and u cook spud with skin on and when they cooked, slice them and lay slices on the top instead of mash , then cover in grated cheese.

i can't remwember it excatly. but will write it up when i do.

It was delish. def gonna be cooking it again. i actually said to hubby the mince beef and bean mix would go nice on a jacket spud or in a tortilla wrap with grated cheese.

even tho i've had dinner , i could easy eat this right now, lol.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    morweena I used branston sandwich pickle when I made them, sure she said in a mag with the recipe in that you could use other pickles.

jcr16 thanks, no hurry as won't be making it just yet :D
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am so jealous of all you OSers who have a good local market.

All we have in our town is supermarkets and the occasional (expensive) indie organic shop & deli, and lovely though these are I just can't afford to shop there too often. We have a monthly farmers market but again it tends to be quite high quality expensive produce.

I would kill for a proper market, so if you are lucky enough to have one be sure to use it or lose it!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    JennyJelly - agreed. Our local market is kind of good, we have a meat wagon, and a big fruit and veg stall, also a bread man and then a man wo sells like giant bags of teabags/coffee and otehr bits and pieces like sweets nad boxes fo biscuits, then there is the pet food man and the usual car boot sale people. Its on like twice a week and i love it - make sure i always go there for my veg/fruit but im starting to think that tesco is cheaper than it.

didnt make the cake in the end ben was happy watchign his telly and i was too busy making gammon and pineapple for bf. Question i brought a pack of two gammon steaks , i dont eat it and bf only had one - what else can i do with the other gammon steak??? Was thinking carbonara but bf just said he doesnt like creamy pasta sauces. Any ideas????

Im trying to lose wieght too so all this home cooking is not doing me much good i relaly must lay off the baking and cooking because im sure thats not helping - although i do have another question for all the gadgetty people on here. I dont have a steamer but i was told that i oculd put a saucepan full of water on the hob with a metal collinder on top of ot witha lid and this would do the same thing.

Any ideas???????????? and if we can include soem diet/low fat recipes for cakes that would be nice too!!!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whatatwit wrote: »
    hi Lesley...I bet I know which stall you got your bargains from...I love Blackburn market. I always come home with loads for the freezer...
    It's worth the 40 minute drive as our market here is carp.

He had really big baking apples on at £1 for 8!!Thats why I bought so many

I got 8 boxes of raspberries for a quid too

I'm going back on Wednesday for the Butternut squash though as my lot love them

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport