Great 'What I wish I’d known before my wedding' Hunt

Options

Comments

• madcow1976
    Options
    JJ's House is an amazing website that makes wedding dresses and wedding party dresses to order. Low prices and high quality, my sister is getting married in the summer and ordered all our dresses from them. Quality is excellent and dresses are stunning. You send them the measurements and they make to order.
  • Celia123
    Options
    Drinks are one of the easiest ways to spend money, especially trying to cater for everyones' tastes. We bought cava in bulk and offered soft drinks for non-drinkers, the venue provided a bar for any one who wanted something else. The corkage charge was £7 a bottle but it still worked out slightly cheaper than the cheapest house wine the venue offered and was much nicer. We served this throughout the meal and didn't have a disco as it was a late wedding service and we had a pre-dinner reception.
  • gavcradd
    gavcradd Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We got married in 2006 and thinking back, there are a lot of things we did successfully to minimise the cost and other things where I reckon we wasted money.

The successes first. We made all of invitations ourselves, it was great fun and a good distraction from other stresses in an evening. We had my wife's sister and her boyfriend do the photography (they were art students) and they came out really well - don't listen to other people on here worrying about "what if the camera breaks?", do professional photographers somehow have indestructible cameras? We had lottery tickets for favours that went down brilliantly. We asked for cash instead of wedding presents and paid for the honeymoon with this - no one batted an eyelid at the request and some even said it was much easier than buying presents. On a previous trip back from France, I filled up the car with red, White and Rose wine and had a bottle of each on each table with the same again in the back - I can't remember the exact cost but it was much cheaper than the venue's prices and there was even plenty left over for the evening do, in fact at work my wedding is still talked about by some as "the one with the free wine".

The biggest wasted expense about the day would have to be the food - we had about 50 for the day and another 50 for the evening but catered for 100 in the evening. Big mistake, the people who had been there in the day had eaten the big main meal and so didn't want much, so only about half of the evening buffet got eaten. When you're paying per head, it makes a huge difference and we wasted hundreds of pounds. I had a big fear of running out and looking like a cheapskate but we didn't even get close to that. Secondly, I didn't haggle for much at all, reading on here makes me wish I'd done more!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Drinks - don't despair if your venue doesn't have what you or your guests prefer to drink.

We bought a barrel of beer from our local brewery and had it branded especially for us, we paid the "corkage" charge to the venue and asked for donations for every pint to go to Cancer Research as both my parents and a close friend died of cancer and we have several friends who have had cancer.

This went down really well with our beer-swigging guests, but my mum would be horrified with the photos of me in ivory silk & tiara drinking a pint of real ale or pulling the first pint with my new hubby!!
  • Himsher
    Himsher Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 May 2013 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Hi

Some great tips I've already seen regarding dresses etc
    We are getting married abroad and then having a party back home (saved over 11k off the cost of an average UK wedding and we get 2.5 week holiday out of it!)

The biggest tip I can offer is

• food - when we started looking around as soon as we mentioned wedding everything doubled in price even though we explained it was only a party!
    Quotes ranged from £2000 to £5000 just up feed 100 people! We love our guests but not that much!
    The tip is to look at different types of venues and not the popular places
    We loved the Birmingham botanical gardens but at £2k just for food it was a strict no!
    We ended looking at bars in the financial district of Birmingham as these get lots of business during the week(after work,business lunches etc) but hardly any of a weekend
    We have found a lovely posh(ish) bar with sole occupancy on a Saturday and catered for £500!
    The best tip if your having a buffet type reception (given to me by the bar owner) is
    CATER FOR JUST OVER HALF THE AMOUNT OF GUESTS
    Not everyone will eat and it creates less wastage plus saves you money!

• dress- I fell in love with a dress but there was only 2 stockists in my area - I went to my original dress shop and haggled on the price bringing it down by £200
    I then found out the other stockist was having a event day with 20% off, free shoes, £50 towards a veil so I rang my original shop back told them I wanted to stay with them but in terms of money I would have to go to the other shop as it was working out alot cheaper
    My shop then came back to me knocked another £100 off the price and gave me £200 towards accessories which paid for my veil and hair comb
    I've ended up getting a £1300 dress plus £200 worth of accessories for £950!
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gavcradd wrote: »
    We had my wife's sister and her boyfriend do the photography (they were art students) and they came out really well - don't listen to other people on here worrying about "what if the camera breaks?", do professional photographers somehow have indestructible cameras?

No of course they don't have indestructible cameras, but actual professionals will generally have at least 2, usually 3 (and sometimes more) good quality cameras (set up for different types of shots) so if one stops working it isn't much of an issue.

If you have 2 photographer friends taking pics, or if your one photographer friend has at least 2 decent cameras, then by all means go for it. If they only have 1 decent camera, then have a discussion with them about what they will do if their camera breaks down - perhaps you or another friend has a reasonable DSLR camera that could be kept in a safe place (such as a car boot) as a spare? Also worth checking they have spare batteries and memory cards too...
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • originalkat
    originalkat Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Best bargain I have seen was a wedding bouquet from Morrisons supermarket, if you have a superstore near you take a look. Cost £30 (last year's price) was absolutely beautiful and looked as good as bouquets I have seen for £100-£150.

My son got married last year, he had not long joined the navy and his ship was going away so they wanted to get married before he left. It was all organised in a few weeks and friends and family made the cake, the invitations, provided the car (a rolls belonging to a friend of a friend), took the photos and made a video and wedding album, (they were very lucky as that friend is a professional photographer) and decorated the tables. It was a lovely day and the whole wedding only cost a couple of thousand including buffet, music etc. As they have been together for about 13 years it was a lovely way for everyone to share their day without buying them presents they didn't need.
  • pm04gn
    pm04gn Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    We got married Easter Saturday this year and did the bulk of the work ourselves.
    From the three tier cake to the invites and the wedding breakfast! I slogged away in the months before the wedding so that we could have a fab day without breaking the bank.

If you think it's achievable for you or another helpful person to do something for the wedding then do it. Don't let anyone tell you what is or is not a good idea.

If I had a pound for every time someone said 'catering your own wedding, is that really a good idea?' Then I probably could've paid for caterers :D

It's about what you and your OH want so go with the flow.

I got so many compliments on the day and every compliment on something I had made felt amazing and made it all worth while.
  • pixieG
    pixieG Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I am wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction: I need to get a wedding dress: in ivory colour and short (to be more specific ;)) and not sure where to find one that is on budget.

I also wanted to do get some friends involved into making invitations but the stationery seems expensive as it is. Any ideas for cheap but nice stationery?

My big day is end of August this year! :)

I bought my short wedding dress from ilovebridal.co.uk which ships from China (mine took 3 weeks to deliver), but are so cheap compared to other dresses! Going to try and sell my wedding dress on ebay this week, if I make half the money back, it will help go towards the honeymoon!
  • pixieG
    pixieG Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to mention that we went to a wedding fair and looked through catalogues of companies offering to make invitations, favours, fancy table decorations. My sister distracted the owner whilst I took photos from their catalogue for inspirations. My Mam then went to craft supply shops, WH Smiths, Wilkinsons, ASDA and bought card, cutters, fancy diamant!s to make things her self. We made everything so cheap, it makes me wonder how these companies can charge £50 for a few invitations!!

A friend of mine is getting married in a few months time and wanted a sunflower theme for her flowers.Rather than pay a florist to do this, she's asked my sister to grow her 6 miniature sunflowers in her greenhouse now, and they should be fully grown by the time of the wedding.

I think doing things yourself makes your wedding just that little bit more magical!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure