Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• Triumph13 wrote: »
    I am indeed very fortunate. Accountancy may be dull, but it can pay quite well.

I often find that working with money pays decent money... and usually the bigger the numbers you deal with the more you get paid.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I often find that working with money pays decent money... and usually the bigger the numbers you deal with the more you get paid.

Very true in my experience. I knew a couple of guys who epitomised that.

One was a senior Merchant Banker (no snide comments about the Minder use of that phrase please :D). He was good at his job and earnt a small fortune, spending his days putting together multi hundred-million deals to finance fleets of 747s and the like.

The second was an accountant and ended up as the FD for a national Building Society and the likely next CEO until they merged a few years ago, again extremely well paid as you would expect.

Unfortunately they both struggled with numbers that only had 3/4/ 5 or 6 digits, so the stuff in their personal lives, as expenditure / deals at those levels never got near their desks.

The banker used to "con" himself and add 3 or 4 zeroes to anything he was thinking about buying so he could do a cost / benefit analysis against numbers that his "trained" brain could cope with.

They are both well off still but small purchases just don't register on their comprehension, so easy to fritter away £10/20K.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    @hugheskevi no financial gems from me, but a small tip from someone who relocated from England to Wales 25 years ago. I have found it great for community and relationship-building to try to learn some Welsh, it communicates a lot of respect and is a great ice-breaker and people appreciate it here. You come across very bright, and so an app like duolingo could help you pick up some basics very quickly.

It depends where n Wales you're going to live...around us there's no need for it, very few can speak Welsh. However, if you're around the coast (any bit of it), Anglesey, Snowdonia, or down South you'll find a little Welsh quite useful.

Be aware, there's also quite a mish-mash of Wenglish in some odd places, now that can take some getting used to :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AlanP wrote: »
    Very true in my experience. I knew a couple of guys who epitomised that.

One was a senior Merchant Banker (no snide comments about the Minder use of that phrase please :D). He was good at his job and earnt a small fortune, spending his days putting together multi hundred-million deals to finance fleets of 747s and the like.

The second was an accountant and ended up as the FD for a national Building Society and the likely next CEO until they merged a few years ago, again extremely well paid as you would expect.

Unfortunately they both struggled with numbers that only had 3/4/ 5 or 6 digits, so the stuff in their personal lives, as expenditure / deals at those levels never got near their desks.

The banker used to "con" himself and add 3 or 4 zeroes to anything he was thinking about buying so he could do a cost / benefit analysis against numbers that his "trained" brain could cope with.

They are both well off still but small purchases just don't register on their comprehension, so easy to fritter away £10/20K.

Not on that scale but I am familiar with those types of people.
    I should have added that just because someone works with money and is able to manage other peoples to the scale of millions it doesn't at all mean that they have any of the skills required to manage their own.
  • Gary1984
    Gary1984 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's also the time as money aspect. If you make 6 figures but are perhaps working 50+ hours a week then your time becomes very valuable. You're going to be less inclined to spend an hour shopping around for the best car insurance or drive to Aldi when Waitrose can deliver and so on.

So it might appear from the outside that the person is bad with money. But it may just be that they value convenience and perhaps some more expensive luxuries in their limited non-working time over the additional money.

All of this is compatible with retiring early if you're making good money, as long as you can scale back again once retired.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm going to look into robo vacs too.
  • westv wrote: »

Don't get sucked in by the hype! :rotfl:
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Gary1984 wrote: »
    There's also the time as money aspect. If you make 6 figures but are perhaps working 50+ hours a week then your time becomes very valuable. You're going to be less inclined to spend an hour shopping around for the best car insurance or drive to Aldi when Waitrose can deliver and so on.

So it might appear from the outside that the person is bad with money. But it may just be that they value convenience and perhaps some more expensive luxuries in their limited non-working time over the additional money.

All of this is compatible with retiring early if you're making good money, as long as you can scale back again once retired.

Absolutely. Its about being mindful. I always remember my father refusing to do any decorating at home because he could work overtime. He would earn sufficient within a few hours to pay a professional to do the painting which would have taken him 2 or 3 days had he done it himself.
    That is totally different from someone deciding to spend all of their salary on ridiculously over the top cars, watches and handbags etc when they aren't investing into a pension.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    westv wrote: »

never going to happen in this house - there are already far too many videos on the internet of people who mix dogs and robo vacs and poop. Dogs are housetrained but there is always that chance ...
    I'll stick to the old fashioned way.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl wrote: »
    never going to happen in this house - there are already far too many videos on the internet of people who mix dogs and robo vacs and poop. Dogs are housetrained but there is always that chance ...
    I'll stick to the old fashioned way.

Unless robovacs can move furniture to vacuum the room properly then they seem like a pointless expense.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback