We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My green tomatoes were left on top of the bug zapper which is on the kitchen window sill while we were away for five days (returned last night) and some are turning red :)

Did you know that bananas are gassed in ethylene to move them from their dormant transport state and encourage them to start going yellow (and the customs process means they have to arrive where there is approved banana weighing equipment)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Just back from our holiday yesterday. Lots of fun, but lots of rain lol.

Returned to see the garden still standing. The brussel sprouts are still going (they haven't been devoured by caterpillars....yet). Harvested over a kilo of ripe tomatoes (and a few not quite ripe by accident - it's very difficult to tell when the skins have gone completely black from sunlight exposure! lol). Still plenty on the vine, though will likely have to pick and ripen indoors now. I 'crushed' and froze 1.6kg worth before our holiday, and still have a batch of tomato soup in the freezer too lol

Hope you're all keeping well. I need to catch up on the thread now.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Quick question: I've a small potager style bed that I started last year and this year I added extra nasturtiums. I'm wondering how readily they self seed. There are a load of corms floating around (is that corms or seeds for nasturtiums ?) but I'm not sure whether to collect them & sow in the spring or just push them in

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've grown nasturtiums in the past and find they can self seed quite readily but how many of them germi ate the next year if you just push them deeply i to the soil may depend of the severity of the winter weather. . I find the seeds tend not to overwinter safely in long periods of frost.

I,d collect a few of the seeds, dry them and sow in spring so you work on a belt and braces concept.
  • unrecordings
    Forumite
    Primrose wrote: »
    I've grown nasturtiums in the past and find they can self seed quite readily but how many of them germi ate the next year if you just push them deeply i to the soil may depend of the severity of the winter weather. . I find the seeds tend not to overwinter safely in long periods of frost.

I,d collect a few of the seeds, dry them and sow in spring so you work on a belt and braces concept.

The bed is up near the house and quite sheltered, and I've still some seeds in the packet from this year's sowing so I'll push 'em in and see what happens...

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,003
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Is it too late to attempt to grow broad beans for overwintering? What other crops can you kick-off now and overwinter?

The thought just occurred to me that we could utilise the currently empty raised bed, which would definitely discourage the neighbourhood cats from using it as a toilet.

- PIp
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • unrecordings
    Forumite
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Is it too late to attempt to grow broad beans for overwintering? What other crops can you kick-off now and overwinter?

I just googled it 'cos I'm bored:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=617
    https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-grow-autumn-sown-broad-beans/

Both sites are good sources of information in general. It's got me thinking about the runner beans I have abandoned in the workshop - they're about 1m probably untangled, so maybe I might trim them to say 30cm & pop them in the greenhouse..? (is there an emoji for Australian lilt ?)

Further googling required...

• unrecordings
    Forumite
    It's got me thinking about the runner beans I have abandoned in the workshop - they're about 1m probably untangled, so maybe I might trim them to say 30cm & pop them in the greenhouse..?

Okay forget that. Trying to overwinter runners is generally deemed to be pointless as you should repot the tuber in spring, with the beans getting poorer as the tuber gets older (season on season). Easier just to use fresh beans - though this could be a way to defeat mice, if you have that problem (?)

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2019 at 4:57PM
    I tried this in one occasion. It wasn,t really designed to try and regrow them. i'd read that it apparently helped to fix nitrogen in the soil if yiu left the roots in so I simply snipped the stems off at soil level and left them like that.

What happened? Nothing. The stems simply rotted and gradually dissolved over the winter months. Nothing regrew the following spring. This certainly wouldn't work in the open as beans are vulnerably to cold weather and the roots wouldn't survive through frosts. Even in a greenhouse or poly tunnel the winter temperatures would be too low.
  • unrecordings
    Forumite
    The consensus seemed to be - yes they're grown as a perennial in South America, but in this climate if it worked with even a modicum of success then everyone would be doing it

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure