We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Finally spent a little time in the garden. Have prepped two areas for veg growing, have planted some rose bushes in the border and munched on my one solitary carrot which was very nice.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Stuck indoors here again - which is sort of good, I was hoping to get my peas cleared away (there's only something like 4-6 of them) and replace with malabar spinach, but that's maybe not quite as hardy as I thought it was, so needs further research

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jazee
    Options
    Non productive blackcurrant bush is no more.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent an afternoon digging out endless clumps of oxalis weed from one of my long borders . Trying to get everything prepped for winter before weather really turns and this is an almost endless task. I would perhaps make life easier for myself if I sprayed weed killer on it but I grow organic climbing beans tomatoes and other crops in it there so alas, it,s the slow manual option. Still at least recent rain made the task a little easier.

Does anybody else have a specific weed which really haunts their garden? Our hiuse was a new build when we moved in years ago and we never had this weed here. I think it must have been introduced either via a garden centre potted plant or in cuttings in soil donated by friends. It just shows how successful nature is at taking over, given half a chance!
  • Jazee
    Options
    Mares tail here, never had it when I lived down south.
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Damp weather here, I thought the plot was slowing down and I hadn't been on it for a few days as hubby has torn some muscles in his shoulder and can't lift his arm so I've been doing his jobs around the place which has taken up most of the day. However, I needed some veg for tea and was pleasantly surprised at picking beetroot, carrots, dwarf beans, peppers, celery, courgettes, one cucumber, fennel, kohlrabi and potatoes. I didn't need any tomatoes but I know there are loads in the greenhouse. The fridge is now quite full and I have enough veg for several days.

Made some ginger and marrow jam yesterday with a couple of escapee courgettes. I must make some rosehip and orange marmalade before the rosehips get too soft as it's one of our favourite jams. Then there is crabapple and clove jam........I have all these good intentions at this time of the year but then life gets in the way and I only do a fraction of what I intended.

I think I must take a leaf out of Primrose's book and start closing things down for the winter and getting prepared for next year as I have an op booked for Jan 2020 and I shall be out of action for several weeks afterwards. I had an op in Jan this year and also in Jan 2018, on both occasions it was several weeks before I was back on the plot and things had started to get away from me, so I never really catch up - this time it's going to be different.......
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes Zafiro, I think the good weather days are to be snatched at this time of year. My gardening capacity is ohysically limited now. My next mai task is to dig a co posting trench in my long climbing bean and tomato border for chopped up bean and tomato haulms.

However the beans continue to stubborning continue fruiting against the odds which is delaying this chore. We,ve had a good bean crops tha year but Im mean enough to want to capture the last pickings rather than call it a day niw and start dismantling everything. I will probably pay a penalty for this as the weather turns!

Console yourself that if you miss the boat with all the jam and preserve making, you might save yourself the problem of storing it in cupboards for ages and not being able to eat it all quickly enough!
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Console yourself that if you miss the boat with all the jam and preserve making, you might save yourself the problem of storing it in cupboards for ages and not being able to eat it all quickly enough!

Thanks Primrose for your thoughts. Good luck with your bean trench, it's something I never do the traditional way. All my green stuff for a trench goes into a small trailer and then onto the muck heap or in gardeners terms 'Extra Large Compost Heap' as that's where the muck goes from all the animals.

Thinking of jam - you are right I still have a couple of blackcurrant jars from last year, plus something that tastes quite nice but has no label. However, the damson port and sloe gin must be about three years old by now and seem to get better and better with age. :)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    Mares tail here, never had it when I lived down south.

It has wriggled its roots up from down south!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mercifully we don't have Mares Tail but we do have three different varieties of bindweed, ground Elder, nettles, brambles and oh so much oxalis corniculata (creeping woodsorrel)

- oh yes and invasive Vinca (periwinkle), hypericum (4 sorts), Leucanthemum × superbum (shasta daisies), vetch and Persicaria amplexicaulis, but not in the veg beds!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport