marriage

ron101
ron101 Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 28 August 2019 at 11:38AM in Disability money matters
Hi,
I a man 67y im on PIP & DWP payments due to a stroke 16 y ago, and been here 29y, marrying a Philippines girl 41y and not disabled and in good health.
Due to my stroke I'm not very good at talking now.

I live in a rented property, Private Landlord, 2 bedroom flat.
The Council do pay the rent.

What income am I likely to suffer myself & her when we are married? or how am i affected due to our marriage?

Theres bound to be Community Charge? (is it 3/4qtrs of the full charge)

Can she claim for Carers Allowance for her and will it give ME LESS income? (is it £62.00 per week)

Comments

• ron101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I a man 67y im on PIP & DLA payments due to a stroke 16 y ago, and been here 29y, marrying a Philippines girl 41y and not disabled and in good health.
    Due to my stroke I'm not very good at talking now.

I live in a rented property, Private Landlord, 2 bedroom flat.
    The Council do pay the rent.

What income am I likely to suffer myself & her when we are married? or how am i affected due to our marriage?

Theres bound to be Community Charge? (is it 3/4qtrs of the full charge)

Can she claim for Carers Allowance for her and will it give ME LESS income? (is it £62.00 per week)

You can't claim DLA & PIP, it's one of the other.

You will lose any severe disability premium on means tested benefit such as ESA? As you won't be living alone.

You will lose your single person discount on your council tax.

If they can claim carers depends on their status in the U.K.? And if they actually care for you? Just being your wife isn't caring for you.
  • ron101
    edited 28 August 2019 at 12:12PM
    IVE sorted that out its DWP. Im not getting ESA I think. Council tax 1,461.47, Discount 25% -365.37, Council tax reduction -1,096.10, Amt to pay £0.00, -- So does that mean i still get it or do i have to pay 365.37 -- So i have to proove that she is caring for me, doing meals, cleaning, getting up,going to bed, toilet. She is from Philippines and is naturalised to be a BRITISH CITIZEN, 100%.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What shel meant was her immigration status might not allow her to claim carer's allowance I think.

When eligible to claim a carer won't have to actually prove they are caring for the person in question, just doing normal everyday tasks that are necessary for your health/medical condition can be considered. If caring. As long as they are offering help & assistance to you for a min of 35hrs a week & do not earn more than £123 from other employment then they will qualify.

If carer's allowance is being paid you'll lose any severe disability premiums paid due to living alone from your PIP, but I believe the carer's payment is roughly the same amount anyway as the premium.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • ron101
    ah thank you very much
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Congratulations, Ron101 and your lovely lady.

:A :A
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ron101
    thank you fire fox
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2019 at 3:30PM
    *** Editing to crucially add.... the following post was based on missing the content of post 3. If she is British (naturalised).. and it appears may even already be legally here.. then the contents that follow are completely irrelevant. However I'll leave this post up for anyone in passing who may be facing bringing a non EU partner here and with consideration of benefits.

As others have said the immigration status of your partner will be important. I assume she is coming here as a fiancee or as a spouse after marriage. If you plan to live here together you might find significant expense ahead regarding Visa fees (consider order of £10k over next 5/6 years before she perhaps gets Indefinite Leave to Remain and therefore no longer is subject to immigration control)... so be prepared for that. Normally she would have a condition of no recourse to public funds until she is no longer subject to immigration control and that might be over 5 years down the line. If so then she can't claim Carer's Allowance and you can't gain benefits as a result of her coming here (as example my foreign partner coming here means we do not get couples rate ESA and I lost severe disability premium as no longer living alone) .... you will lose single person discount on Council Tax. I estimate in lost benefits and Visa related fees having a Mexican partner (who came as a fiancee) will cost me about £30k over 5.5 years... which is 2.5 years of current annual income..lol.. I shoulda gone to specsavers and got a Spanish one instead....lol.. just kidding in case she sees this!

Be careful regarding income requirement for Visas... your PIP should mean you only need to show adequate maintenance (consider at least the equivalent income of income support for your circumstances after housing costs considered) and ability to house her.

On fleeting visits to this section of the board it has surprised me how good advice you can get regarding family immigration... so if you need better understanding then test people here...lol.. cheaper than an immigration lawyer and possibly better advice especially where you get interaction with public funds/benefits rules. Some of us have been through or are going through family migration with a foreign partner. To advise you further I think more is needed to be known about your specific circumstances and of course be weary of the benefit calculators online as they tend to (last I checked) specifically exclude circumstances involving foreign partners.

Make sure you are gathering evidence of relationship ahead of any Visa application.. including of time spent together in person like photos. That first Visa application is likely to be the most difficult to prove relationship is genuine and thus presents in theory the toughest Visa application. Once you're living together and married it becomes simpler. When she is here try your best to get her financial accounts and added to household bills to aid documentary evidences and build her a credit history from scratch.

And of course good luck!

P.S. Don't watch any reality series of the US show called 90 Day Fiance.... it would not be good for your health..lol
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • I am assuming OP receives SRP. This could make quite a difference due to the new rules on pension credit even when/if his fiancee becomes eligible for benefits.
  • Post number three says the wife is a British citizen so the factory is a Filipino is totally irrelevant.
    There entitlement to benefits as a couple would be the same as any other couple in the same circumstances
  • Nannytone wrote: »
    Post number three says the wife is a British citizen so the factory is a Filipino is totally irrelevant.
    There entitlement to benefits as a couple would be the same as any other couple in the same circumstances
    Oh crikey... I never spotted that. The original post is unfortunately misleading... she is a British citizen... and may even be already living here.

Let me edit my post!
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure