Clarinet

2»

Comments

• OP, you might find this a useful guide -
    http://www.richardbehrend.co.uk/repairs
    It costs about £75 in your area to get a clarinet taken apart, cleaned and put back together. So a £70 new one isn't likely up to much, but between eBay and a repair shop you could get something very nicely playable and reliable. I'd expect a clarinet that hasn't been played recently to need a bit of work; it really depends on how well it was looked after though. You'd probably find they could do enough work to make it playable at a reasonable price, and then you can save up for the rest as and when. I bought a clarinet from eBay once - replaced one pad myself (so at the £15 mark in that link), played it in a concert, then had it fully overhauled for about £200, but it was about 100 years old and pretty neglected. I was much further south than you at the time as well. I think non wood clarinets are usually cheaper to work on - I guess because they don't have to worry about splitting the wood?

Keep an eye out for Boosey and Hawkes as well - I think Buffet bought them out? Quite some time ago but they're likely to be good instruments still. And any other reputable brands that have a student instrument.
  • The clarinet that I owned as a teenager was a Boosey and Hawkes. Thank you for your advice. I'm going to hang on until after Christmas, rather than buy the Glory from Amazon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure