Cheap car hire article discussion

Comments

• thedriver
    thedriver Posts: 108 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for the replies....

I have tried all the other car hire places including sixt, and nothing is comming anywhere near the price that I have been quoted. cheapest price I could get else where was £440 on average it was coming out at £550. I have taken a risk and booked it....lets see what happens.

I was hiring from the canaries, in July.
  • Hi Guys,

Am currently looking into driving to Spain in the summer for 2 weeks and need to hire a car to do so. It will be picked up and dropped off in the UK.

After reading the car hire guide, there was an example at the bottom for a 2 week holiday to Spain with a Mid size car which came out at £205, saving £315! That is exactly what I am looking for and somewhere around that price but every website and comparison site I go on is coming out nearer the £500 mark once the eurpoean cover & additional driver are added on!

Does anyone know where I can go to get the best deal or am I just asking too much to get the hire for around this price?

Thanks in advance
  • Thanks for the reply but unfortunately site not very helpful as all voucher codes are for the US!

Does anyone else have any advice/help/info as to the cheapest way to hire a car for driving to spain?

Thanks
  • lee171181 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Am currently looking into driving to Spain in the summer for 2 weeks and need to hire a car to do so. It will be picked up and dropped off in the UK.

After reading the car hire guide, there was an example at the bottom for a 2 week holiday to Spain with a Mid size car which came out at £205, saving £315! That is exactly what I am looking for and somewhere around that price but every website and comparison site I go on is coming out nearer the £500 mark once the eurpoean cover & additional driver are added on!

Does anyone know where I can go to get the best deal or am I just asking too much to get the hire for around this price?

Thanks in advance
    It may just be what the market is charging this year, couldn't see any obvious date on the MSE car hire guide, but the £:Euro exchange rate is pretty appalling at the moment, so unless the guide's been updated recently that may be why you're not getting the kinds of prices you're expecting.
    The only other thing I can suggest is to try hitting more price comparison sites :confused:
    Best of luck finding something :)
  • On my last visit to Spain I hired a car from Europcar via Hoilday Autos and I had the option to pre-pay or return full.
  • TheDink
    TheDink Posts: 443 Forumite
    I have booked a car through Opodo, with Hertz for a week in Sardinia next month. This was on a Hertz Advance rate and when we booked, it was on a hire with a full tank, return with a full tank basis.

Hertz have now changed their policy so that you have to pay for a full tank if the booking is for 5 days or more, and bring the car back empty. As there is a £40 charge for cancelling the booking, it looks like we're going to be stuck with having to pay over the odds for fuel!

Watch out for the small print!
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lee171181 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

The wording in the Car Hire Guide is not very clever! When it says holiday TO Spain, it really means holiday IN Spain. Those are Spanish hire prices. UK hire prices are much more expensive than Spanish ones.

You will also pay extra of course for taking the car out of the UK.
  • Picasso7
    Picasso7 Posts: 4,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wish I had found this thread before I booked my car via Holiday Autos, but am fairly happy with what I got so won't anx too much about it. Have used them in the past and been very happy with the service. But I found this article which tells you an alternative and better way of covering yourself for damage excess waiver which is optional when you hire a car. I took out the annual Europe policy, went via Quidco, which gave me 20% off and it tracked* (not sure what the * is about) very quickly indeed. It wasn't much more than Holiday Autos were wanting to charge me, covers me for far more and lasts a year.
  • loobylou2
    loobylou2 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Hope someone can help with this as I'm a bit confused. We are going to France for a fortnight on 25th May and planning on hiring a car. The problem is that I don't drive but my OH who is 72 does so obviously he will be the one doing the driving while we are there. He dosen't have a credit card though so I'm the one who will be doing the booking and I'm getting really confused with it all. After I have booked online will I have to pay more when we collect the car to cover insurance etc and is there a way around paying huge fees? Also, will it be ok if I book online using my card but OH drives? I spoke to Hertz yesterday about this but to be honest got a bit confused when the guy on the phone told me that as well as paying for the car online I'd have to fork out about 500 pounds at the airport as well!!! Any advice/help re this would be very much appreciated as we're doing the trip on a very tight budget and its already turning out to be costing more than I'd anticipated. Thank you.
    loobylou2.Proud to be dealing with my debts and aiming to sort out the mess in 2013!!!!:eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback