PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

7 rashers of streaky......................

Options
Hello all

So here's the problem...DS home from school ill so can't get to shops, am running freezer down to clean before refilling and all I have is 7 rashers of streaky bacon...it's very nice bacon from local butcher, but it won't easily feed 5 people - three adults, 1 ravenous teenager and 1 poorly 10 year old. Have good store cupboard, but am restricted by the fact that some of us like pasta, some rice, some potatoes - not all 5 of us like them all (if that makes any sense?) so a pasta bake won't do...any ideas please????

Thanks!
People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm... make up a load of sauce, carbonera style, with the bacon pre fried a litle and chopped small, maybe add in a few frozzed peas and sweetcorn or diced (cooked) carrot to get some colour and some veggies in...

..make rice / pasta / taters for whover, and ladle the sauce over the top to serve each.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about baked potaoes with a sauce using some of the bacon and a large frittata (sort of omelette) using any bits and bobs you already have?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • otterspasm
    otterspasm Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about a couple of bacon and egg pies (or quiche!) if you have the ingredients. You could serve with homemade potato wedges/pasta salad??HTH
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fry the bacon or grill it til its really crispy.
    Fry some chunky cubed parboiled potatoes in olive oil or other oil with an onion, garlic and chilli if you wish. Crumble up the bacon and sprinkle it on.
    Top with grated cheese.Should feed ravenous people pretty well;)
    You could substitute the potatoes with pasta for the ones who dont like spuds:rolleyes:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I make bacon pancakes just cut the bacon into small pieces you can also make cheese pancakes and plain pancakes to make up the numbers applepancakes are great as well. When I say pancakes I mean pan sized pancakes not those tiny ones. I'm from holland and pancakes are considered a perfectly normal meal.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can use flour in store cupboard to make a pastry shell and make a quiche with bacon and if you have cheese too and tomatoes or tinned tomatoes and use eggs from fridge. Make home made oven chips with the potatoes to keep everyone happy.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a large pan cube 2 large potatoes bring to the boil then add 2 cups pasta Boil till ready about 15mins -grate lots of cheese -Cut up the bacon and fry When the pasta potatoes are ready drain and put half in a dish add the cheese then rest of potatoes and pasta -then put the cooked bacon bits over the top YUMMY :T
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Uhmmm make sauce and serve on what YOU fancy and tell the others to stop being so darned picky about what they eat! :) When I was a kid we ate what was served because that was what we could afford at the time (ok times got a lot better later on but for a few years we were utterly skint and I even recall my mother repairing our old Fiat Uno with a metal cigar box to stop the exhaust touching something else and tied it all in place with wire...). We ate rice, pasta and potatoes and got used to not making my mum make 3 or 4 different meals because we didn't like things (ok so fish and liver still got left behind and we just ate th veggies but still...)

:)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas folks.....BUT b****y page wouldn't load and I couldn't get to read them until AFTER dinner (which turned out to be bacon and sweetcorn fritters)..Some excellent recipes though ..thanks a million - I love this site!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • hermit-crab
    Options
    What a shame you didnt get to see the replies before you made dinner. I made quiche tonight after reading one of the replies on here. Thankyou oterspasm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure