Switching from eOn pre pay to credit meter

marzi_uk
marzi_uk Posts: 95 Forumite
Hi, I am looking to switch a family member from a prepayment meter with eOn to a credit meter. Is it best to stay with eOn and change meter with them or are there any better deals switching to another supplier and getting them to install a credit meter?

Thanks for any help
Rich
I'd rather be fishing....

Comments

• Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    marzi_uk wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to switch a family member from a prepayment meter with eOn to a credit meter. Is it best to stay with eOn and change meter with them or are there any better deals switching to another supplier and getting them to install a credit meter?

Thanks for any help
    Rich

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity/
  • marzi_uk
    marzi_uk Posts: 95 Forumite
    Looks like best to stay with eOn to change meter first and Then change supplier after.
    Looks like to change meter over is free but will eOn want us to stay with them for a set period before moving supplier without getting charged for meter changes?
    I'd rather be fishing....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 August 2018 at 11:27PM
    Eon now install smart meters which can be used as prepay or credit. They may install their old dumb meters if you have a dislike of SMETS1 smart meters and refuse one .
    No charges now for switching from prepay to smart. OFGEM stopped all suppliers from charging for the switches in 2014.
    They will credit check you before accepting the switch though . If accepted they will definitely try and install a smart meter, the Secure Liberty 100 which is now being used by virtually every small supplier.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Thanks for any help
    Rich
    Looks like best to stay with eOn to change meter first and Then change supplier after.
    Looks like to change meter over is free but will eOn want us to stay with them for a set period before moving supplier without getting charged for meter changes?

Hello Rich and to confirm. We don't charge to swap from a prepayment to a credit meter. The family member will need to pass an external credit check and there can't be any unpaid debt left on the existing meter. Also, we won't take out prepayment meters where they've been fitted on a warrant or as part of a pre-disconnection visit. If none of this applies and the credit check is okay, we'll be happy to exchange the meter.

Your family member doesn't need to stay with us for a set period after the exchange. Once the meter is live on our system, they'll be free to switch at any time. Neither will we charge later for the exchange.

It might not be possible to fit a smart meter at this time. Even though we're rolling them out across the country, they're not available everywhere yet. It depends on things like the area, type of property, the strength of the mobile phone signal and the current metering set-up. There might also be certain local difficulties that don't become apparent until a technician visits the property. If it's not possible to offer a smart meter, we'll fit a traditional type instead.

Hope this is of interest Rich. Let me know if you need any further information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure