Switching Tariffs

Options
My current fixed tariff with SSE is coming to an end in September and I'm just looking for some advice about the process for switching tariffs with a current supplier. I've been searching online but haven't had any success finding answers.

I know that switching suppliers can take several weeks to complete but if I stay with SSE and move to a new tariff, does this process also take several weeks to complete?

I won't have thought it would take more than a day or so as I'd be staying with my existing supplier (surely a simple process of moving my account from one tariff to another) but wanted to check so that I could arrange the switch in advance if it's going to take a long time to arrange.

Comments

• Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My current fixed tariff with SSE is coming to an end in September and I'm just looking for some advice about the process for switching tariffs with a current supplier. I've been searching online but haven't had any success finding answers.

I know that switching suppliers can take several weeks to complete but if I stay with SSE and move to a new tariff, does this process also take several weeks to complete?

I won't have thought it would take more than a day or so as I'd be staying with my existing supplier (surely a simple process of moving my account from one tariff to another) but wanted to check so that I could arrange the switch in advance if it's going to take a long time to arrange.

If you call the supplier, they will often transfer the tariff during the call.

The one exception is if you are on a fixed term tariff where they may not transfer you until your existing tariff expires ... but they will explain all during the call.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I was with Npower. The change would take effect from midnight.

With Npower, EDF etc. you can also choose for the change to be immediate (midnight) or when the current fix ends. or any reasonable date inbetween. Whatever benefits you
  • Supernatural_02
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, didn't want to make the call and find out I'd be waiting ages for the switch to take place (all the while being put on their standard tariff).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure