Separated & Selling

Hi,

I hope you can help me or if not maybe point me in the right direction

My wife and I are separated, we both co own a flat which has estimated value of between £260,000 to £270,000 she has had it valued. I paid the mortgage off years ago, so there is no outstanding mortgage. She is still living in the flat but has met someone else. Now she wants to move and has seen a property they want to buy.

We looked at the possibility of renting but that became too complicated, so, sadly from my point of view the only option left is to sell it ( and advice received on a previous thread from here was instrumental in that decision for which I was so grateful ). I am back home living with my Mum in a different county and I have never sold a property before.

So, I have no idea how this is going to work with me being so far away. I know you should never assume, but I would think that we should both want the best price as at the moment we are looking to split the proceeds 50/50. Any tips or advice, links would be so very welcome re charges I may incur, agreeing a price etc ( I am in no hurry but as my wife wishes to move, there is urgency on her side ) and would be genuinely very much appreciated as I am in unchartered waters and I hope we can make the best of a rather sad situation - well from my point of view anyway !

Many thanks and kind regards

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,861
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is the flat in England/Wales or Scotland?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Although I see that responses have dried up on your other thread, the house buying/renting/selling board probably is the right place to post, given that you're essentially asking about tips for selling a property, rather than a question about savings and investments as such.

I'd suggest starting with all the articles published on this site, such as https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/how-to-sell-a-house/ and others at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/ (which isn't specifically about mortgages as implied).

Also spend some time searching and reviewing the threads on the house buying/renting/selling board and then if you're left with any questions, post on there with a meaningful (i.e. reasonably specific) thread title....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure