Skirts ok for women, shorts not ok for men...

Hi all,
Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I mean technically the men have a choice...
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 July 2018 at 4:21PM
    You could argue shorts are considered to be too casual for work but skirts aren't as they can be formal, but obviously that's a matter of opinion.

Are women allowed to wear shorts?

If not then it's not sexual discrimination as you could probably go to work in a skirt if you wanted, that might be interesting on several levels. Do they say anything about length of skirt?
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You could argue shorts are considered to be too casual for work but skirts aren't as they can be formal, but obviously that's a matter of opinion.

Are women allowed to wear shorts?

If not then it's not sexual discrimination as you could probably go to work in a skirt if you wanted, that might be interested on several levels. Do they say anything about length of skirt?

No, no-one is allowed to wear shorts. Dresses / skirts have to be a 'modest length'.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,
    Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.
    Pretty sure men can wear skirts if they want to....

(no its not discrimination fgs)
  • KittenChops
    I mean technically the men have a choice...

Yes, I agree, technically they do!
  • KittenChops
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Pretty sure men can wear skirts if they want to....

(no its not discrimination fgs)

Yes, men can wear skirts, dresses or kilts and not fall foul of the dress code.

I'm not sure why you added 'fgs' at the end of your comment? (I know what it means, just not sure why you added it.)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, men can wear skirts, dresses or kilts and not fall foul of the dress code.

I'm not sure why you added 'fgs' at the end of your comment? (I know what it means, just not sure why you added it.)

Because real discrimination is people losing their homes because they cant work due to sexuality, religion, race or gender - not whether they can wear shorts.
  • Ask Scotland
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's because there's always one idiot that decides these are suitable shorts for work.

https://www.stickee.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/opera-meerkats.jpg
  • Yes it is discrimination so all you need to do is put on a skirt and claim to be gender fluid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure