Travelling On

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I remember the long, difficult and sometimes scary winter drives to work before I retired. I sometimes felt like I'd done a day's work by the time I got there:eek:...
    Karmacat wrote: »
    ...RT, your commute is bad enough at the best of times ... I hate to think of you out that long, and that far away. Hope you're back safe before Emma loses her temper :eek:

Aww - thank you ladies for 'feeling the pain' with me - yesterday was a 6 hour round trip in and out of the city - it was cold, it was miserable - if only there had been brilliant sunshine, it would have felt just like home!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

...and KC - I lost my temper before Emma did!;) - asked OH why exactly we live in the middle of nowhere & don't even have a 4X4 :D - let's just say I almost walked the last mile home...:D
    Just wanted to check everyone is OK over here but I see you are all (KC's Tribe) being cautious and sensible...

lol - not sure about that - OH came to pick me up from the station when I finally made it back from the city last night about 8pm...took us an hour to drive a 20 minute route through 6 inches of snow with NO snow-tires...what can I say... it was an adventure! (and not the least bit cautious or sensible!!):eek:

We found out this morning that the A road we drove on last night was one of the worst in the country! - They mobilized the army to rescue folks! We were not one of those! - and for that I am thankful!

Needless to say today is a work from home day!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just wanted to check everyone is OK over here but I see you are all (KC's Tribe) being cautious and sensible.

I am going to try going out in the 4wd this morning and will be shopping for our Village Sunday Lunch so I can deliver to our helpers. Hope I will have some time to clear a few paths so it is a bit safer for some of our older local residents today
    Thank you SL :) yep, I think everyone's sleeping in their own homes with heating available, and at the moment that counts as a win!
    You are a professional photographer. Whoop!
    Ooh! I didn't think of it that way :j:j thank you for that!
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    ...and KC - I lost my temper before Emma did!;) - asked OH why exactly we live in the middle of nowhere & don't even have a 4X4 :D - let's just say I almost walked the last mile home...:D
    Oops! A good relationship can take it, though :D

OH came to pick me up from the station when I finally made it back from the city last night about 8pm...took us an hour to drive a 20 minute route through 6 inches of snow with NO snow-tires...what can I say... it was an adventure! (and not the least bit cautious or sensible!!):eek:

We found out this morning that the A road we drove on last night was one of the worst in the country! - They mobilized the army to rescue folks! We were not one of those! - and for that I am thankful!

Needless to say today is a work from home day!
    Good grief! I've seen those pictures this morning, as well as a Scout troupe providing food and drink and even beds to stranded motorists. Very glad to hear you're working at home today.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a slight little emergency all my own this morning, sorted now. The condensing pipe on my boiler froze up - my lovely plumber I met a year or so ago was here within 15 minutes, he's only doing emergencies right now, no standard calls bless him, so he and his mate sorted it really, really fast. And they bled the radiators :o

So all's well that ends well - I definitely need a little recuperation after that, however, which is why I'm on here right now :) and I'll get going soon. Horrified at my non-shiny sink, though :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I had a slight little emergency all my own this morning, sorted now. The condensing pipe on my boiler froze up - my lovely plumber I met a year or so ago was here within 15 minutes, he's only doing emergencies right now, no standard calls bless him, so he and his mate sorted it really, really fast. And they bled the radiators :o

So all's well that ends well - I definitely need a little recuperation after that, however, which is why I'm on here right now :) and I'll get going soon. Horrified at my non-shiny sink, though :D

OH MY!!!:eek:

So glad it's fixed KC - warmth is soooooo important in this weather!

Lovely to have a reliable plumber on the speed-dial!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'd advise adding a warm cuppa & a biccie to the recuperation phase - it's amazing how much zen a little comfort eating can bring!;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad you got your boiler sorted out Karma. I've had a frozen blocked drain. Its grim out there:eek:

Great news on the photo:) xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    rtandon27 ~~glad that you got home ok in the end :)
    Glad that you are staying safe & cosy today.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    karmcat~~What awesome plumbers.
    Stay safe & cosy :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Glad you got the frozen pipe sorted and agree you should be relaxing now!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Glad the pipe is sorted - they sound like good plumbers!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• So glad you got your boiler sorted so quick and what a lovely bit of news about the photo.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback