Help! Mortgage loan advice

In 2011 we took a jumpstart loan from Bovis homes to buy our current property. We borrowed £38k and it was a shared equity loan where they would take 15% of the equity in the property at point of sale or when you wanted to pay it.

Recently, the loan has been taken over by Hampton Mortgages and yesterday I received an annual statement from them with further information stating that should we wish to repay the loan then the redemption figure would be 25% of the value of the property.

We were given a redemption figure from bovis last year of £50k and assuming our property is worth the same as it was then, under this new percentage that has been given by Hampton, we would now owe £60k!

This was not what we signed up for with Bovis, surely they can’t just change the terms of the loan like that?
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 12 August 2018 at 12:28PM
    Show them a copy of the original paperwork.

Maybe ask them for an actual redemption figure
  • Sunshinebabe4life
    Sunshinebabe4life Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 7:35AM
    Thanks I!!!8217;m going to call them tomorrow. It!!!8217;s really stressing me out.
    The 50k was the redemption figure given by bovis based on the equity I had in the property last year.
    So we bought the property for £160k it was valued at £240k so 15% of the £80k equity plus the £38k equalled the £50k
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you just about to sell or move? If not then I wouldnt get too stressed at the moment - its probably a standard incorrectly worded letter that everyone in your position has received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure