British Gas / credit checks

13»

Comments

• dbriggs
    dbriggs Posts: 157 Forumite
    Hi dbriggs

As the property is being supplied by another company it will, I'm afraid, have to go through the change of supplier process.

With you being a customer at previous properties, though, we may only need to do an internal credit check rather than external one. This will depend on the status of the previous accounts.

Hope this helps.

Malc

hmmm... Well I'm 100% paid up-to-date but I can still login to my eon account online (which I've had for 7 years in good standing)...

...so you're saying its like having a good friend, who you owe no money to, but whenever you move house they want check with other people that you pay your bills on time before they'll be your friend again?

If I had known this 2 weeks ago I might have just stayed with British Gas if I'm honest Malc!

Energy companies sure do have a strange way of treating loyal customers!
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    dbriggs wrote: »
    hmmm... Well I'm 100% paid up-to-date but I can still login to my eon account online (which I've had for 7 years in good standing)...

...so you're saying its like having a good friend, who you owe no money to, but whenever you move house they want check with other people that you pay your bills on time before they'll be your friend again?

If I had known this 2 weeks ago I might have just stayed with British Gas if I'm honest Malc!

Energy companies sure do have a strange way of treating loyal customers!

If they only have to do an 'internal credit check' then you'll have nothing to worry about, given your account of 7 years in good standing!

At least they're transparent about the procedure.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2013 at 9:54PM
    I've just seen a thread where an ex bankrupt has a score of 999, with br still on the file

not quite, 980 :p

Loopy. Although having said that, representative? As Nationwide had no qualms about opening a select card for me at 12.9% APR and £3,200 limit which they quickly upped to £4,500 and quote me loans at 5.9% APR after their soft search.

YBS also gave me two offers of mortgage on properties last year at under 3% APR.

If you work really hard to rebuild credit post BR it isn't a "YOU'LL NEVER GET CREDIT AGAIN" mark at all, far from it.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • simeyb
    simeyb Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agreed that the credit score alone is not used by lenders in making their decisions, but it does give some indication as to the way in which the person conducts themselves on an ongoing basis. As an example, I have about 11 defaults on my CRA file (which finally are all coming off this year as six years old), so I cannot get (nor do I want, any credit), but my score is 989 - this shows anyone that the issues I had were historic, there have been no searches on my file lately, I keep up to date with payments and the amount of credit I have is relatively low. Like other posters have said, no-one is forced to pay for any CRA service - just get your £2 report. Its like when you see something on TV you don't like, don't moan about it, just turn over! And no, I don't work for any CRA!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure