The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    Not sure about that - on the summary page they say minimum £1 at the top, but the box half-way down states £1,000 (maybe they copied that bit from the fixed-term savings...).

Anyway, it let me put in £100 as the opening investment and I've sent a cheque - will wait and see.

the Net 1 is closed as the man said it was £1 deposit min. you may have signed up for the Bond £100 min. Net 2 is £1000 Min:D
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yogibear wrote: »
    the Net 1 is closed as the man said it was £1 deposit min. you may have signed up for the Bond £100 min. Net 2 is £1000 Min:D
    Certainly a weird one - min investment £1k, min balance £1. Maybe I'll need to send them £900 in Monopoly money so they can credit and debit at the same time...

Was definitely Netsave 2 and did have 'minimum £1' for the opening cheque (possibly set up by the Nationwide ISA team? lol).
  • Benergy
    Benergy Posts: 58 Forumite
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    Certainly a weird one - min investment £1k, min balance £1. Maybe I'll need to send them £900 in Monopoly money so they can credit and debit at the same time...

Was definitely Netsave 2 and did have 'minimum £1' for the opening cheque (possibly set up by the Nationwide ISA team? lol).

I wish that they would accept monopoly money!
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was thinking about switching from Bank of Ireland (3.05%) to Derbyshire (3.16%) but it's so not worth it. Bank of Ireland assure me that if I transfer money out, I'll get interest until the money leaves my account (which'll be 3-5 days after I initiated the BACS transfer). However, it's still gonna be in my current account for a few days, earning 0% interest, before it reaches the Derbyshire account. Derbyshire says this transfer will take 3 days but I wouldn't get interest until the day after it reaches the account. So, by my calculations, I'll only start to make a profit on this move after 115 days (best case scenario). By that time there'll probably be a better account around anyway.

If it was 3.25% then it might be worth considering (66 days to profit from the move). :p
  • Catbells
    Catbells Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2011 at 9:31AM
    Hi Have had an AA online deal for a year and want to change to the Nationwide Mysave online plus issue 4 for a year. Its 3.12% and as my research has shown its the highest interest rate around at the moment. I can leave it for a year but wanted to know if its the best you have come across at the moment. Thanks.

PS Just read here about the Derbyshire (never heard of them). I take it it is easy access to a nominated account - not clear on the details on Moneysupermarket.
    PPS Also interest is paid in August so I have missed a couple of months. Not sure if this is the same with Nationwide (or all of them).
  • frome2u
    frome2u Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi there, Can anybody help me! im useless at saving's accounts but wish to start. I have £500 that I want to save for 2yrs and 5months (GIVE OR TAKE THE 5MONTHS) Im saving for a cruise for my partner who will be 50. I want a savings account that will lock the money away from me, but will still allow me to watch it grow (online) and add more every month (£100) thanks in advance. (seem to have lost my smillies)
  • db3745
    db3745 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    frome2u,
    I'm not the best guide for you, but till someone else comes along I'll try. You need the section on "Regular Savings" first -
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

This type of account normally offers the best rates of all as large scale savers are excluded, and providers can grab eye-catching headlines with rates which don't end up costing them a great deal in total interest.

Your parameters are ideal at £500 lump sum and £100 per month. In summary of what's available, it depends! If you already bank with First Direct they offer a massive 8% for regular savings; if you don't you could of course switch to them. Similarly Santander offer the same to current account holders, but their regular savers' rate is only 5%.

If you have children, you could open an account in their name with Halifax and get 6% fixed for a year, then when the year's up look at the market again.

If you don't meet these special terms, the best regular savers offer 4%, which is still better than the best easy access of 3%ish. Look at Norwich and Peterborough, Saffron and West Bromwich if you live a West Brom branch. As you want to save an additional £100 each month, fixed rate accounts aren't ideal, because though you can get 3.96% from the Post Office for a 2 year fix, you can't pay in more than your original lump sum. It is essentially fixed rate/fixed term/fixed capital sum.

As I say I'm only an amateur in these things; hopefully this might give you somewhere to look before one of the qualified guys comes along! Best of luck and look forward to the cruise.
  • frome2u
    frome2u Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2011 at 7:26PM
    Thanks ive just checked the 'First Direct it sounds good :beer: Just read deeper into it and I dont want to open up another current account, just an online saving's account that I can transfer money into every month (lost my smillies again)
  • Good afternoon all. Being vary new to this, forgive the silly questions.
    I am looking to invest the sale of a house, and gain a regular income from that investment. Can anyone point me in some kind direction, and give an indication of what return I would achieve?
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you're looking for an instant access savings account, the best you'll get is around 3.15%. Most of the highest rate ones pay yearly though and obviously you'd want one that pays monthly interest for a regular income.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback