Cheery's country living adventure

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,693 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Right, YNAB and banks done, and as usual, I have discovered that if you don't keep an eye on these things they dance around behave like right pesky fiends behind your back :eek: :eek: :rotfl:

So. Budget is settling down after moving house, slowly getting an idea of how much things are costing, although gas, electric etc are all still a bit up in the air and working on guesswork. Changed electricity suppliers too, and we're now paying a monthly amount (£58 :eek: ) with the new bunch, but not yet had a final bill for the old ones yet. Hoping that will go down, but probably not til we get radiators installed in the 3 rooms that don't have central heating so we can stop using the plug in radiators! :eek:

Diesel is expensive, but I think last month's £220 was an aberration fortunately :eek: Spent £67 filling the smaller car twice this month (that's the one I use for nipping back and forth to the city for work, so that will come down considerably now I'm working at home more). Not filled the bigger car up at all yet, but that'll likely need it this week, which will be about £45. So that takes us to just over £100. Shocking, but much more reasonable.

Food/grocery seems to have come in at £113 so far this month :eek: which is not unreasonable - except the majority of it is meant to come out of Mr Cheery's cash money not the bank account so I don't know what's going on there...

£85 on the treats budget so far, not bad as that's for both of us - mostly covers cafe trips and lunches out, and we've paid for a couple of friends too this month.

My own personal spends have dropped drastically since we moved :o I am SUCH an impulsive cake buyer :o :rotfl: I don't walk past the shops on the way home any more, and don't really meet friends for a cuppa in a cafe any more - far more likely to go round to someone's house after work now.

One professional membership has come out (£95), and I did buy my 'new' camera for £52.

Still not decided what to do with my nan's money yet. I did want to use it to get us started with land management etc... but so far I've ended up putting stuff like the plastic greenhouse, dry stone wall course etc just through the normal bank account.

However, we do need to get used to there not being *quite* so much wriggle room in the budget any more... :eek: Had quite a bit before and could absorb stuff like that, but the mortgage has eaten all our wiggle room really...

Not putting ANYTHING into savings out of normal wages at the minute which is distressing me slightly...

However, I did get the 'everyday rewards' payment from the bank, so that's £5.50 gone to the mortgage :j signature updated :j That's going into a separate bank account now rather than directly to the building society after it transpired they just sit on it for the entire year and I don't get any more interest anyway! :eek:

Right, best get on with some work!
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :bdaycake:

A little birdy tells me it's a special day for you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAREST CHEERY!!!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Happy Birthday lovely lady! xx
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cheery_Daff
    edited 28 April 2018 at 8:23AM
    Darn it, just typed out a load of stuff, went looking for something else, and closed the tab! What a plonker! :rotfl:

So. Lovely birthday yesterday but lots of driving and lifting so quite tiring and we were asleep before 10.30 :rotfl: Dry stone walling course today so yet more heavy lifting :eek: Three day weekend though :D :j

Been doing some bank-inspecting :money: I REALLY need to get a grip on our finances. We are not in debt (thank goodness, except the pesky mortgage which I am grateful for) but we are also not adding anything to savings at the minute which means if anything happened to our savings, we wouldn't be able to replenish them - which means to me, we are living rather too close to the edge of our means :eek:

Anyway, first of all some good financial news :j

* got final electric bill from old provider for first month in new house (aka Month of Snow) - £33 :j Much better than expected, as we had electric heaters on in the rooms with no central heating :eek: Almost considering switching back as new provider has us on a DD of £58 :eek: Hoping we'll get a refund at some point! :eek:

* had a letter from HMRC saying they owe me £217 :money: this is for the professional membership stuff I did a couple of weeks ago - nuisance to do but glad I did it :D Need to read it again to see how that will arrive, then it can go straight in the mortgage account :j

(just off for a brief break to reset the mouse trap in the loft as I can hear a pesky one scurrying round up there :eek: Honestly, having evicted 12 mice now to the far ends of the fields I am bordering on starting with the killing traps... )
  • Cheery_Daff
    Right, four traps set now :eek: Pesky furry menaces. Never had mice before but expected it moving to the middle of the countryside in a house that had been empty for a year before we got here :eek: They are quite cute, especially the little field mice :o But they can't live in our house! :eek:

Wonder how long it will take before we cave and start to kill them off? We're both a pair of complete softies so it might be a while :o :rotfl: but at the minute we're checking all traps several times a day and going on at least one long walk a day to the bottom of the fields and quite frankly I have other things to do :rotfl:

Anyway - back to money :money:

* Prolific is up to £7.80, will wait to £20 for a free payout. Might get there in May

* Really need to sit down and sort out what to do with the money Nan left me :o I've ignored it so far, I wanted to spend it on getting set up with our land - but so far everything I've spent has come out of the main account, which is fine, but I'm finding I'm reluctant to buy stuff like fruit trees because of the cost. But that's exactly what I DIDN'T want! I don't want to fritter that money, but also fruit trees are a great thing to buy as they'll just keep on giving :)

* £108 spent on diesel this month, one car will need a top up today ( about £30 I think) but the other is three quarters full, so it'll be £150 for the month, and we're going into May with two nearly full tanks :j Much better than last month! Also I'm working at home a lot in May so that should make a difference too.

* need to sort out LPG. Apparently you have to tie into a two year contract. We paid existing supplier for a half fill before we moved in but we're down to about 30% of tank now so need a contract. Existing supplier has offered 37p a litre plus VAT for first year, with a 'variable' rate in the second year - looking at the LPG thread on here they can bog off. Going to ring the little local supplier and see if they can do better.

Right, I really should get off the computer :eek: Going out in half an hour, and I wanted to get my fuchsia and rosemary cuttings planted out if nothing else.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Enjoy the wall building course!

I bought fruit trees - I don't have as much space as you, but wanted small trees suitable for a garden to replace the huge field trees I took out. I got them as bare root trees in the winter which meant smaller holes to dig (a bonus when you're on chalk and gravel) from Buckingham Nurseries and Walcot Nursery. All of them have done really well - particularly the quinces which I have discovered LOVE soggy ground so are very happy by the stream.

Spend some time looking and deciding what you want - if you go for bare root trees it'll cost you less and you'll have time to spend planning exactly what you want and where it will go (and digging the holes). And buy LOTS of rootgrow!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Echoing greenbee really - yes, good fruit trees are exactly the sort of fairly expensive, long term purchase you've reserved your nan's money for, and researching your soil and the situation and what each type of tree needs is really important.

And dry stone walling too! You're going to make this such an amazing smallholding! Keep on putting it in your diary, so when you look back you can see how you built it

:A :j :A :j :A :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I caved very early on with the mice in our loft when we moved in. There had been a little old lady here who didn't own a hoover so the entire house was covered in mouse droppings (and as they are incontinent I can imagine just how much had soaked into the carpets), all the carpets came up within the first 2 hours of getting the keys, the floors were swept and disinfected and all holes sealed. It wasn't until about 3 weeks later I could hear them in the loft and knew it was more than just one overactive one. I put a big dish of poison down and checked it 24 hours later and every scrap of it had gone. Repeated daily for two weeks and have never had a problem since.

We do release any the cats bring in but infestations need dealing with quickly.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Just dashing through - had an email with an electricity bill so popped in to check it :eek: Reckons we've used £154 worth of electricity since 4th April :eek:

Even worse - it was based on an estimate meter reading, and when I tried to input the real one, it said 'this is much more than we expected, please upload a photograph of your meter; :eek: :eek: :rotfl:

Oh dear. It's a 100% renewables company which I don't mind paying a bit extra for, but this is ridiculous. However, I suspect the issue is at our end - we have three rooms that don't have radiators, and have put electric heaters in them, and have just gotten into the habit of putting them on in the morning and leaving them on all day - so all three of them could be on for 18 hours a day :eek:

Needless to say I have been round and turned them all off :eek:
  • Cheery_Daff
    On the plus side, I've just spoken to a different LPG supplier and it looks like we'll be able to get MUCH cheaper gas than with the two folks I've spoken to already :j

Eventually, when the work in the kitchen is being done, we're going to have radiators fitted in the three rooms that don't have them and everything will run on gas.

In the meantime, now the weather's warmed up and the house isn't quite so damp as it was when we moved in (it was empty for a year before us), I think we'll manage...

Ooh, cheque from HMRC arrived :money: That's £217 to go to the mortgage fund, which I'll add once it's cashed :j :j

Right - WORK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure