Cheery's country living adventure

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ouch Cheery :eek::eek: I had a root canal and a crown last year and the bill caused me more pain than the tooth:rotfl:

Well done on the free food :D
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ouch to the bill and the tooth!!
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    A BIG OUCH TO THE COST OF THE TOOTH CHEERY.

As you are a clever little thing I am sure you can jig everything about and cut back in places to help swallow up some of that cost :) Maybe have an extra little emergency pot in future for just in case things that crop up like this with say £200 in so that would help towards something like your dentist bill. Just an idea! :)

Keep up the good work. You are doing really well.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks ladies :kisses3:

I do actually *have* a dentist pot that did have just over £200 in it... but then somehow it vanished during the reshuffle when we moved house... :mad: My own fault - made a mental note NEVER to pilfer from the dentist pot! :o

Hey ho.

Lovely weekend with friends visiting and pottering around the garden :j Spent a little bit on food but nothing too out of the ordinary (and they left various bits behind anyway so we don't need a shopping trip any time soon).

Nothing big planned this week (except the dentist...) Must make food for tomorrow and Wednesday to take to work though.

Sun's shining and it's LOVELY out there :j Got a load of stuff to read for work so I'm trying to get finikey emails/online stuff done this morning then get out in the sunshine to read :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello Cheery - I'm catching up with diaries on my return :) you sound like things are going so well - as said upthread, such a massive, recent change, you can't sort it all right away.

And would you believe I've actually managed to make a decent amount of compost already?! I was surprised it was so quick but there we are! :j :j
    This bit really interested me! I'm researching those compost bins that have a handle and rotate - air and turning seem to be so important, and that never, ever happens in one of the cheap bins sold by the council.

What sort of bin do you have? Did you have loads of stuff in it? Gimme the news :kisses3: please :kisses3:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Welcome back KC! Will pop over a dread your news in a bit :)

Mine is a three bay system (although this was just one of the bins). Couple of pallets round the edge and chicken wire at the back, with a bit of plastic thrown over the top. No particular design, just what was lying round.

I think the magic came from the ingredients. I've been throwing all our veg and fruit peelings in it since I built it in late March. We eat a lot of fruit and veg, quite a mix. Mr Cheery also drinks quite a lot of coffee, so lots of coffee grounds... And every time I emptied the kitchen caddy, I threw on a handful of hay that we swept out of one of the outbuildings - goodness knows how long it's been there but it's not rotted down. Oh, and I always suggest to male visitors that they might want to weeeeeee on it to help it along ;) (and have been known to add a bit myself, with the aid of a container and the non-transparent plastic greenhouse of course - no hovering for me!) :rotfl:

I wasn't expecting it to be done - I was actually digging it out to mix it into one of the other bays along with the mixture of hay/fresh grass cuttings/small bits of free manure that I'd been collecting in another bay (which, incidentally, hasn't composted much at all). But when I dug it out there was hardly any peelings left, just lovely compost! :j

So I have no idea whether that's helpful :o I've read good things (somewhere...) about the ones you turn, but I've always managed decent compost from just throwing stuff in some kind of square walled container that lets a bit of air in. Two (or more) bays help, as long as you have the ability to chuck everything from one to the other.

We did have a dalek bin for the last year or so at our old house but I never got round to emptying it as I was more focused on decorating than gardening by then. I never got full though and I was putting all our compostable waste on it (including odd bits of garden cuttings) so it was clearly rotting down a bit!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We didn't get on with a dalek as they're impossible to turn, but then my mum's just given away her turn-y one because it just filled with water (perhaps it was broken??). Perhaps you've secretly got hot composting sussed Cheery!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Cheery_Daff
    Perhaps so themadvix! :j :j It's funny, I've been composting for years and never had trouble with it, whatever bin I've been using. Maybe I've just got the knack (whatever that is :rotfl: )

Up early this morning and I was at work by 8.15 (I was planning to be here by 7.30 but never mind :rotfl: ) Anyway, I actually got one of the few, much-coveted free parking spaces outside the office :j :j :j This is SO exciting :rotfl: This is a quiet time of year but it's still not guaranteed.

I've got an hour-long dentist appointment at 11 though so I have to make a decision - do I take the car (which will likely mean I won't get a free space when I get back), or do I go on the bike?? I did bring the foldy bike for that purpose, I'm just being idle :rotfl: It's only 1.5 miles, and mostly flatish (although sadly more uphill on the way back). But last time I walked back and it still only took me half an hour so cycling will likely be almost as quick as driving round the ring road and trying to find a space when I get back...

Ok, bike it is :j Then I'll keep my free spot and the minute I'm ready to leave work I can just trot off :j :j

Other MSE things (trying to get my head back to thinking about it :o )

* brought lunch - just cheese butties with a bit of spinach but using up the bread I got for visitors at the weekend (and that we didn't need)

* used up the last of a small pot of body lotion yesterday, and cut it up to get the dregs out :D

Er, that's probably it actually :o But my only spends today should be some teabags for the tea kitty at work which (shock horror) appears to have run out of non-decaf tea :eek: :eek: :rotfl:
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck at the dentist Cheery.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cheery, thanks so much for that, about the compost. It did help, absolutely, in that I could see what I don't have (oxyen access!) and, erm, the knack! But I'm sure I could do something with a turner. The linkie that madvix gave was great too, thanks madvix - I could maybe turn an unused and unplaceable water butt (too big for current placement with my drainpipes where they are) into a hot composter, I'll have a think about whether thats possible. The ones on Amzz are £80 and upwards, so that would be a great saving, if it was manageable. Then the existing dalek could just be used for leaf compost.

Good luck at the dentist, hope you're doing okay.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure