Help with Back Billing Code - no gas bill for 12 months

Options

Comments

• Enceladus
    Options
    Isn't the energy supplier under some sort of legal obligation to actually read the meter at least once every two years? And is a failure to do so a reason for complaint?
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I just worry that if eventually we or they get a proper reading it'll not be in my favour and I owe a large sum .

Why not stop the worrying and get it sorted as suggested by others ?

The longer it goes on the more likely it is that the actual difference in the reading, compared to the estimates, will be even bigger. Then you may have an even bigger problem to worry about.

You may even be putting off getting a refund.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 December 2017 at 2:00PM
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

I cannot read the meter myself as they used a contractor to supply the box and no one has a key. I have been advised not to break in as this would be criminal damage.

The box is outside and the electric company can have access anytime they wish. We have had an emergency callout when a box on a pylon over the field blew up. I asked them to read the meter then . Nothing.

Last month we had a visit to say we would have no electric for the day as they were doing works to a power box thing , I asked for the meter to be read still nothing.

The contractors working on the local lines, cables and substations are nothing to do with meters and meter readings. You are wasting your time asking these people.

The only people who can help you are your suppliers.

As others are said this box is yours - you own it - you can't do criminal damage to your own property.

If the box is a fibreglass box - even if supplied and installed by contractors - it will have a standard triangular key (from B&Q as above). These boxes are not the most secure of things.

Do you have online access to your account ?

Who is your supplier ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enceladus wrote: »
    Isn't the energy supplier under some sort of legal obligation to actually read the meter at least once every two years? And is a failure to do so a reason for complaint?

No and no. The meter reading requirement was changed in April 2016 which dropped the 2 year meter reading obligation and removed British Gas’ 5 year derogation.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can normally open the meter box (your meter box) with a pair of long nose pliers, but the keys are widely available everywhere. The box is yours, so you can remove the whole thing if you wanted to (although you would then be liable for any ensuing damage to the meter).
    The agents you have spoken to are clueless as usual.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • LewisHamilton
    Options
    Enceladus wrote: »

The obligation was to conduct a safety check of the meter once every two years, not to actually read the meter. However, reading the meter usually sufficed for this as part of the safety inspection.

As Hengus has stated, this obligation was actually removed from the Licence Conditions in 2016 as Ofgem did not deem it necessary to do safety inspections so often. There is no longer an obligation to conduct at safety inspection every two years.

However, the energy suppliers should still make all reasonable steps to obtain a reading once every 12 months so all energy suppliers are expected to make at least one attempt to read the meter every 12 months. If the energy supplier fails to do this and also does not request readings from the customer proactively through letters/emails/text messages etc then they would be found to have not made all reasonable attempts to obtain readings and will have to write off unbilled energy charges that are more than 12 months old when they do finally get a reading and this results in a catch up bill (providing the customer has clearly not been wilfully avoiding paying),

In OP case, if you can demonstrate that you have asked for a bill and the energy supplier has failed to bill you for more than 12 months, then you should get the back billing code. There is no excuse for a billing company to not send a bill when it is required to do so and you have set up an account.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I'm the OP and haven't looked at this thread for ages. Thought I'd update. Thanks for all the replies, esp. dogshome. Still no gas bill and it's 41 days since I emailed my provider to ask for one (that was 12 months after switching to them). My latest reading from 31 Jan was rejected so I've sent a photo of the meter as requested. The provider is isupply.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I'm the OP and haven't looked at this thread for ages. Thought I'd update. Thanks for all the replies, esp. dogshome. Still no gas bill and it's 41 days since I emailed my provider to ask for one (that was 12 months after switching to them). My latest reading from 31 Jan was rejected so I've sent a photo of the meter as requested. The provider is isupply.

As you have taken steps to get a bill, just sit back and enjoy some free gas.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 8 March 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Hello! OP here again.

I finally had a load of gas bills today. The first one (December to March 2016/17) is massively wrong because they took the readings as imperial instead of metric. It's over by £160! Overall the account is still in credit even with the error so god knows how many people wouldn't notice the mistake in a set of bills covering over a year.

Now I've had my bills it seems it's up to me to start a discussion about the back billing code. Any advice? Is it just a case of asking them to look at whether the code applies here or do I put a 'case' forward? As in I've provided you with regular readings, answered all queries, oh the horror I've had budgeting without bills etc.

Edit to add: I'm still not clear on whether or not I have a case.

Edit to add even more: Having read some of the scenarios in this document I think I have a strong case. My reading is that being in contact with the supplier is a requirement, not having explicitly requested a bill.

Oh we'll see. Even I'm bored of this now and I started the thread!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Hello! OP here again.

I finally had a load of gas bills today. The first one (December to March 2016/17) is massively wrong because they took the readings as imperial instead of metric. It's over by £160! Overall the account is still in credit even with the error so god knows how many people wouldn't notice the mistake in a set of bills covering over a year.

Now I've had my bills it seems it's up to me to start a discussion about the back billing code. Any advice? Is it just a case of asking them to look at whether the code applies here or do I put a 'case' forward? As in I've provided you with regular readings, answered all queries, oh the horror I've had budgeting without bills etc.

Edit to add: I'm still not clear on whether or not I have a case.

Edit to add even more: Having read some of the scenarios in this document I think I have a strong case. My reading is that being in contact with the supplier is a requirement, not having explicitly requested a bill.

Oh we'll see. Even I'm bored of this now and I started the thread!

Simple. Just make a written complaint pointing out where you feel the supplier has failed to meet acceptable customer service standards. Refer to the incorrect bills that have been produced despite them having been provided with actual meter readings. Ask for all billing to be reviewed making the point that because of their failings you would expect them to apply The Back Billing Code. What have you got to lose?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure