PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    "They must know the norm surely??"...
    There is no such thing as a 'norm' or a right or wrong side of a fence, how people can get upset and talk about going to court over the way a fence is facing is beyond me.
  • I got a land registry alert this morning, saying "application lodged by <bank name> ...
    customer reference AUTO APPN(DIS)"

Before I start asking elderly relative if all is well, could you outline what this means? As I sincerely hesitate to accuse family of potential elder abuse (or spook elderly relative that I 'watch over him' thus).

Sorry to be so ignorant but Google didn't have the answer as to what it might be.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I assume the property belongs to the elderly relative?

It sounds like a mortgage has been taken out on the property.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, it's elderly relative's home, but I've no clarity as to what a lodged auto appn is...

Twitching, slightly.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    AUTO APPN(DIS)

Could be automatic application to discharge.....a mortgage that has been cleared? Only guessing from the initials.

On the other hand, putting AUTO APPN (DIS) into google throws up this page: https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/update-or-correct-the-register which suggests it may be as innocent as adding a contact address to the property registration.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Hi. We are due to complete on the purchase of a part exchange property this week but have hit stalemate. The builders purchased the property from the vendors in a part exchange deal but have not registered the purchase at the land registry and want to sell to us as power of attorney for the previous owners. Our solicitor says this is not correct as if they purchased the property then they must register this at the Land Registry as the power of attorneys are useless as they no longer own the property. Any advice welcomed. Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    edited 4 September 2017 at 5:15AM
    Yes, it's elderly relative's home, but I've no clarity as to what a lodged auto appn is...

Twitching, slightly.

Most likely a discharge of their mortgage - do they have a mortgage?
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    tauruswine wrote: »
    Hi. We are due to complete on the purchase of a part exchange property this week but have hit stalemate. The builders purchased the property from the vendors in a part exchange deal but have not registered the purchase at the land registry and want to sell to us as power of attorney for the previous owners. Our solicitor says this is not correct as if they purchased the property then they must register this at the Land Registry as the power of attorneys are useless as they no longer own the property. Any advice welcomed. Thanks

Unsure what other advice can be given here - if the property was part exchanged and a legal transfer/exchange completed then presumably that does need to be registered.

If they just transferred the one property so in essence the owner now owns both and they then gave the builder POA then reads as if the builder could transfer.

But your solicitor will know so that's the advice to follow
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 September 2017 at 9:58AM
    Land Registry, would you be kind enough to post a reply to this post explaining how to get the current Land registry state of a property?

I have a feeling that it'll turn out that the proper transfers either on death or in dealing with the estate of the deceased father weren't done and it'll be critical to know the ownership structure before the death and now to check the CGT situation.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jamesd wrote: »
    Land Registry, would you be kind enough to post a reply to this post explaining how to get the current Land registry state of a property?

I have a feeling that it'll turn out that the proper transfers either on death or in dealing with the estate of the deceased father weren't done and it'll be critical to know the ownership structure before the death and now to check the CGT situation.
    Not sure why you're so concerned about someone else's problem - they've already been referred to the LR in that tread.

It's primarily a CGT issue, which the LR won't be able to help with.

Likewise, LR almost certainly won't know the respective shares of the 3 joint owners.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback